Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Leosallespoli

Particles

135 posts in this topic

To do list:

1. Falling Blocks

1.1. Path

1.2. Physics

1.3. Custom Texture

1.4. Animation.

2. Leaves.

2.1. Path

2.2. Physics

2.3. Custom Textures

2.4. Animation

That looks about perfect for me... maybe there should be a little more particles though, if a pile of sand repentinely falls, you won't only see some little grains in the air, but a temporal sand "cloud". More like the smoke effect there is in vanilla mc, but even more concentrated. Also, it would need a texture :P not gonna bother you with that, but yeah...

That looks about perfect for me... maybe there should be a little more particles though, if a pile of sand repentinely falls, you won't only see some little grains in the air, but a temporal sand "cloud". More like the smoke effect there is in vanilla mc, but even more concentrated. Also, it would need a texture :P not gonna bother you with that, but yeah...

Yeah... textures are out of my scope, this is supposed to be applied to stone falling, but as sand falls like it so I used it.

I'll give more particles to the landing.

Yeah... textures are out of my scope, this is supposed to be applied to stone falling, but as sand falls like it so I used it.

I'll give more particles to the landing.

: Ohhhh, it was for cobblestone... THEN it's different. I still think the same about sand, but apparently we aren't talking about sand here xD

Well, for stone, i think the srpites should be like... rocks? not big ones, and not that much rocks, but noticeable rocks falling along with the cobblestone block. And since most of what a cave normally does is accumulating dust, on impact it would look nice for ti to make a dust cloud. In fact, that would make cave ins even worse (player wise); not only you are trapped in rock, but due to all the dust those rocks raised, you don't inmediatly see the exit, and you can get panicked.

: Ohhhh, it was for cobblestone... THEN it's different. I still think the same about sand, but apparently we aren't talking about sand here xD

Well, for stone, i think the srpites should be like... rocks? not big ones, and not that much rocks, but noticeable rocks falling along with the cobblestone block. And since most of what a cave normally does is accumulating dust, on impact it would look nice for ti to make a dust cloud. In fact, that would make cave ins even worse (player wise); not only you are trapped in rock, but due to all the dust those rocks raised, you don't inmediatly see the exit, and you can get panicked.

Humm... I like this idea! Let's see what I can do.

Meanwhile

I agree with Jag definitely needs to either become a dust cloud or little rocks flying everywhere I'm not sure which you are going for yet. Rocks don't rise, but dust needs to be more dense. Can you change the shape from flowers too?

I agree with Jag definitely needs to either become a dust cloud or little rocks flying everywhere I'm not sure which you are going for yet. Rocks don't rise, but dust needs to be more dense. Can you change the shape from flowers too?

haha, they are snow particles its pratical in test because of the shape and colour, like I've said, I'm not getting into texture.

I'm going with dusts, maybe I'll add little rocks coming off of it, but for now it is dust. Clouds are a little bit tough if I think I know what you mean, like non-pixeled dust... well... that I don't think is going to happen, unless someone shows me something about it in openGL, but I don't think it would fit in with minecraft...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpEi5dEw6e0&feature=youtu.be

This now has physics into it, in it there is 5 particles being spwaned on each side, I just tryied with 10 and no lag... not sure with a low end how it would turn out.

Feedback is much appreciated.

Edit: yes there is a ghost particle...

I... think there is something wrong there...

The particles... if they are supposed to be a dust cloud, even if they have some impulse upwards, i think it should spread mostly to the sides, and down. It's dust after all, it was in the ground instead of floating in the air for a reason, that being that's it's heavy enough for gravity to take visible action on it. What you have there right now looks like if that sand was an asteroid impacting with a gigantic second asteroid, in the vacuum of space. Basically, i'm saying it should spread horizontally, gain a little altitude, but just fall a little while later... is that possible?

I... think there is something wrong there...

The particles... if they are supposed to be a dust cloud, even if they have some impulse upwards, i think it should spread mostly to the sides, and down. It's dust after all, it was in the ground instead of floating in the air for a reason, that being that's it's heavy enough for gravity to take visible action on it. What you have there right now looks like if that sand was an asteroid impacting with a gigantic second asteroid, in the vacuum of space. Basically, i'm saying it should spread horizontally, gain a little altitude, but just fall a little while later... is that possible?

Sure... But dusts can go way up, and it is a 1m³ boulder coming down.

The velocities are not adjusted yet, you got a point and I'll try to see into that, but keep in mind that for it to cloud your vision it has to stay up.

Sure... But dusts can go way up, and it is a 1m³ boulder coming down.

The velocities are not adjusted yet, you got a point and I'll try to see into that, but keep in mind that for it to cloud your vision it has to stay up.

Yeah... that's right. I was still seeing the sand block as a small, light pile of sand, instead of 1m3 of sand (which, last i heard, is pretty heavy :).

These crescent-shaped particles that fly upwards look mighty weird. Maybe they should not move at all or move very slowly down.

These crescent-shaped particles that fly upwards look mighty weird. Maybe they should not move at all or move very slowly down.

yeah.. .I overlooked that...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=grYPS0PsOXI&feature=youtu.be

So, this was based in

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvTHeBJ_gkA&feature=endscreen&NR=1

I am content with the movement, what you guys think?

yeah.. .I overlooked that...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=grYPS0PsOXI&feature=youtu.be

So, this was based in

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvTHeBJ_gkA&feature=endscreen&NR=1

I am content with the movement, what you guys think?

It's a fairly good representation, yes. It could be better, but we are in a f+cking cubic world, that's good enough for me.

Needs to go down more. It should go up at the start, quickly, but the stop and slowly float down and away. It should go up for more than half a second.

You could add a tight gaussian around the angle the particles shoot out at to mix up the vertical spread a little.

Needs to go down more. It should go up at the start, quickly, but the stop and slowly float down and away. It should go up for more than half a second.

Humm... Now I've noticed that I've cut the last second, they do go down, let me be a little clearer on this, they follow a function for position, something like

y+a*x-c*x²=y'

in which x equals time and y equals position in order to give this up and down trajectory, now, if a=c at the end of the movement the particle is where it has started, so I make c>a.

I was working with a third degree polynomial equation but it was overkill, wasn't a great addition to it...

edit: x is percentage of time passed.

-deleted, already explained-

Plus, if c>>a they won't go up, remember that the maximum point of a 2o degree function is, with these coefficients, a/c.

You could add a tight gaussian around the angle the particles shoot out at to mix up the vertical spread a little.

what do you mean? I'm not sure if I follow, if particles would shoot to form a gaussian position function they would start at a really low angle and rise fast... That's what you meant?

Edit:notation

Edit2: know what is great for x,z positions? Exponential functions!

I think I could improve on this, it looks very uniform atm, forming in straight lines and all.

I think I could improve on this, it looks very uniform atm, forming in straight lines and all.

Straight lines, you've seen the last video? that maybe just impression, because there is a great deal of randomization there, I tryied to make every particle's movement diferent from oneanother, now I'm messing with shape and size

Plus, I'm learning openGL to make them really 3d

Sprites are fine. And there definitely should be tests on large amounts of falling blocks and/or particle density config option. So my computer won't blow up when I cause a massive cave-in.

Sprites are fine. And there definitely should be tests on large amounts of falling blocks and/or particle density config option. So my computer won't blow up when I cause a massive cave-in.

I tested that, many blocks at a time, but I have a good pc, so maybe I shouldn't be a standard here, but yes, I think it is possible to make it in the config since I couldn't turn it off in the particles option from the menu.