Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Leosallespoli

Particles

135 posts in this topic

Looks cool, maybe the particles should be smaller? 1/16 or 1/32 of a block.

what do you mean? I'm not sure if I follow, if particles would shoot to form a gaussian position function they would start at a really low angle and rise fast... That's what you meant?

Edit:notation

Edit2: know what is great for x,z positions? Exponential functions!

When I posted that I had no idea what your function looked like. But what I meant was the initial angle that they spread out from... it looked like they were all going straight out to the side (though with strange small perturbations - yes, exponential functions would be a lot more appropriate for what it sounds like you're trying to do there and would eliminate that). So instead of just flying straight out, there would be variance along z, but not too much. You can still do this though. This is probably what Dunk is thinking (*guesses*).

Alternatively you could do it right proper and use an impulse equation with a random-gaussian for mass and the impulse vector assigned to each particle. This would help you write a believable-looking drop on it too.

looks very cool, i really like the idea of dust particles good job!

When I posted that I had no idea what your function looked like. But what I meant was the initial angle that they spread out from... it looked like they were all going straight out to the side (though with strange small perturbations - yes, exponential functions would be a lot more appropriate for what it sounds like you're trying to do there and would eliminate that). So instead of just flying straight out, there would be variance along z, but not too much. You can still do this though. This is probably what Dunk is thinking (*guesses*).

Aha, but there is, not actually on the movement after it started out, because I would think its rather strange for them to meander.

Alternatively you could do it right proper and use an impulse equation with a random-gaussian for mass and the impulse vector assigned to each particle. This would help you write a believable-looking drop on it too.

I thought of that, not considering actual mass of particles but the height of the dropped boulder, considering mass of each particle even if in a gaussian distribution would just be too much, like killing an ant with a bazooka, I'm not even sure when it would cause lags, I'll go harder on physics once I'm sure its stable on low-end PCs or that I have an option for disabling this. And if impulse comes around then I would have to implement friction with air, or particles would not stop, that I could simplify with a second degree function... I guess you know where this is going... And I don't think that anyone would notice it, I could as well make the path believable and no one would ever know, right?

Looks cool, maybe the particles should be smaller? 1/16 or 1/32 of a block.

Haha I'm trying to make them lager hehe, but not larger like, every pixel gigantic, no, larger in the sense of the sprite, so it starts out as a small pixel and then you have a cloud and you can't see things because of it.

Aha, but there is, not actually on the movement after it started out, because I would think its rather strange for them to meander.

Ok so it's just hard to spot in the video I guess... maybe the angle we're seeing it or something. But yeah, meandering would be a little odd, although drifting in a uniform direction might work for a dust cloud effect. Might just end up looking weird with too many particles though.

...considering mass of each particle even if in a gaussian distribution would just be too much, like killing an ant with a bazooka, I'm not even sure when it would cause lags, I'll go harder on physics once I'm sure its stable on low-end PCs or that I have an option for disabling this. And if impulse comes around then I would have to implement friction with air, or particles would not stop, that I could simplify with a second degree function... I guess you know where this is going... And I don't think that anyone would notice it, I could as well make the path believable and no one would ever know, right?

Yes, killing an ant with a bazooka :) I'm not sure about lag either... I don't have a low-end test machine, but I have played around with particle effects with more complex math than your simple straight vector and didn't notice anything even with huge numbers of particles. But that surely won't be the case for all machines. All things considered though, it's not lengthy or complex calculation and doesn't really introduce a whole lot of extra computation. But in the event of landscape collapse, it might cause a significant spike given you might have 20-30 dirt blocks falling with who knows how many particles.

Yeah... i'm not sure the realistic physics would even end up being visible (at least next to a simple exponential to reduce speed and cause vertical drop). It would just be fun to code :)

Ok so it's just hard to spot in the video I guess... maybe the angle we're seeing it or something. But yeah, meandering would be a little odd, although drifting in a uniform direction might work for a dust cloud effect. Might just end up looking weird with too many particles though.

Yes, killing an ant with a bazooka :) I'm not sure about lag either... I don't have a low-end test machine, but I have played around with particle effects with more complex math than your simple straight vector and didn't notice anything even with huge numbers of particles. But that surely won't be the case for all machines. All things considered though, it's not lengthy or complex calculation and doesn't really introduce a whole lot of extra computation. But in the event of landscape collapse, it might cause a significant spike given you might have 20-30 dirt blocks falling with who knows how many particles.

Yeah... i'm not sure the realistic physics would even end up being visible (at least next to a simple exponential to reduce speed and cause vertical drop). It would just be fun to code :)

Heeeeey, they aren't straight vectors!!! Read the posts I've made, and see all the videos (or the last one at least)!!!

I've posted 6(wow...) videos, results so far: I'm bad at making videos... and should edit the first post...

Heeeeey, they aren't straight vectors!!! Read the posts I've made, and see all the videos (or the last one at least)!!!

I've posted 6(wow...) videos, results so far: I'm bad at making videos... and should edit the first post...

No no, I know. That was a general statement, not referring to your code.

And it is actually fun to do this, and try to apply physics on it. I've tried to apply the simple movement trajectory in it, but... yeah... in minecraft things either shoot out or barely move... then I've called the old and good math, what would be of physics without it, right?

The leaves movement is much more complicated and there's almost no place to physics in it... Rather sad...

I think I could make real physics, but Dunk and Bioxx have a strict sense on everyone should be able to play it and I agree with that. But like I've said, I'm doing it as a hobby, it is so satisfying to see it works!

What I'm doing now is messing with openGL, maybe I could extend some effects or make them look better... Should be nice!

(I have to remember myself that finals are coming up... Damn...)

Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.

I really like writing physics code. At work I write stuff in the realm of EM, but mechanics is fun too.

Haha I'm trying to make them lager hehe, but not larger like, every pixel gigantic, no, larger in the sense of the sprite, so it starts out as a small pixel and then you have a cloud and you can't see things because of it.

Sound even better :)

Is there any way you could give someone a copy of MC with that modification working? There are some guys here (including me -_-) with low end computers who could test it, so you are sure how much it will lag the low end guys.

Is there any way you could give someone a copy of MC with that modification working? There are some guys here (including me -_-) with low end computers who could test it, so you are sure how much it will lag the low end guys.

Hummm... It changes base classes since I was lazy to do another sand block, but I'll see about that. And I guess you could do a video better than me hehe :D

I really like writing physics code. At work I write stuff in the realm of EM, but mechanics is fun too.

I actually work with that, my thesis is in reservoir simulation.

I don't think you can give an actual copy of MC. And also addons (which this is) for TFC aren't allowed. But if this works with Vanilla, then yes I am pretty sure this is possible. But really, while I would like this too, I don't think he should do it until he has more realistic movements and more particles. Then, a slider for both those options to see at which point the lag starts/stops, etc.

Hummm... It changes base classes since I was lazy to do another sand block, but I'll see about that. And I guess you could do a video better than me hehe :D

Honestly I don't think that matters. What do you think of my other idea? If it modifies base classes, then it is just into the jar right?

Cool. Has the thesis finished, or are you still working on it. Is it for a phD?

I don't think you can give an actual copy of MC. And also addons (which this is) for TFC aren't allowed. But if this works with Vanilla, then yes I am pretty sure this is possible. But really, while I would like this too, I don't think he should do it until he has more realistic movements and more particles. Then, a slider for both those options to see at which point the lag starts/stops, etc.

It has nothing of TFC in it and I guess he ment the mod, because it is a mod, not the usual, as in no NEW content in it, but it is one.

Honestly I don't think that matters. What do you think of my other idea? If it modifies base classes, then it is just into the jar right?

It is into the jar... What was the idea?

It is pretty much finished, well, the first part at least... I've made one in monophasic 2D, successfully and now I'm trying to make it black oil 3D, I got another year to finish it (when I've only promised the 2D :D ). its a kind of graduation thesis that could go into stricto sensu.

It has nothing of TFC in it and I guess he ment the mod, because it is a mod, not the usual, as in no NEW content in it, but it is one.

It is into the jar... What was the idea?

It is pretty much finished, well, the first part at least... I've made one in monophasic 2D, successfully and now I'm trying to make it black oil 3D, I got another year to finish it (when I've only promised the 2D :D ). its a kind of graduation thesis that could go into stricto sensu.

The idea was the sliders and particle thing. And VERY INTERESTING thesis!

I actually doubt i will be able to make a video : i already have some lag while playing MC, i don't wanna imagine what will happen if i'm recording as well... I will try though.

And also addons (which this is) for TFC aren't allowed.

Err... when did he said it was an addon? : from what Dunk said, it looks like this could in fact become part of TFC (even if the exact code Leo used isn't used for the TFC version :)

I actually doubt i will be able to make a video : i already have some lag while playing MC, i don't wanna imagine what will happen if i'm recording as well... I will try though.

Err... when did he said it was an addon? : from what Dunk said, it looks like this could in fact become part of TFC (even if the exact code Leo used isn't used for the TFC version :)

I know, I know. My bad. I meant IF this is. FAil. And don't worry I can make the video. :) I can get maybe 20 fps while recording.

I'll see about that.

I know, I know. My bad. I meant IF this is. FAil. And don't worry I can make the video. :) I can get maybe 20 fps while recording.

That's nice...

The idea was the sliders and particle thing. And VERY INTERESTING thesis!

Sorry, I don't remember that one, can you link it?

I still think the particles could path better. It will look better with the animated dust clouds, but I would like less particles being created mid-air, so a puff of dust when it begins to fall and then a radiating cloud of dust when it hits the ground. I noticed in the video the particles only spread out in grid-locked directions, not radially.

It will look better with the animated dust clouds

Do you mean something like a new cloud particle? Because this would be a good idea, leo's particles spawning together with cloud particles.

I'll see about that.

That's nice...

Sorry, I don't remember that one, can you link it?

Why the that's nice. Do you mean it in a bad/sarcastic way? Because of the "..."

Thre it is in bold

Just to add my two-cents to the topic, I like the idea of the dust particles. However, I think that in their current permutation they are too long-lived. It should be, IMO, just a quick kind of puff or burst that fades very quickly. Dust definitely doesn't look like a swarm of flies slowly buzzing around your room... it should fade away quicker.

Do you mean something like a new cloud particle? Because this would be a good idea, leo's particles spawning together with cloud particles.

Thats the idea, Wolf.

Why the that's nice. Do you mean it in a bad/sarcastic way? Because of the "..."

Thre it is in bold

Well, 20 is kindda low, but I didn't meant to be sarcastic, just didn't have much of a response to that other than that's nice, if many can test it I can get it better.

Just to add my two-cents to the topic, I like the idea of the dust particles. However, I think that in their current permutation they are too long-lived. It should be, IMO, just a quick kind of puff or burst that fades very quickly. Dust definitely doesn't look like a swarm of flies slowly buzzing around your room... it should fade away quicker.

Dunk think that too, I will see to that. I'm not the best with a artistic view, I would probably make it more 'real' if I'd apply real physics to it, but it would be too much for this, so like I've said, I really need the feedback and opinion so I can get it right, cheers!

About the options, I think it can be switchable in a config file, but a slider... I don't know... never looked into that area.

Thats the idea, Wolf.

The cool idea. Are you going to use the same cloud particle, or different particles for gravel and sand? Because sand makes bigger clouds than gravel. And sandstone makes lower clouds than the sand. I'm suggesting, I know that probably the blocks that I said are not going to be included.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtysR97Wgx8&feature=youtu.be

So, I think the dust from the boulder landing is done... It looks good, from now is just setting up parameters like duration, which was reduced, or size and velocities(I think its satisfying). Oh and there will be animations on the sprite, don't worry.

I will, now, work on the puff, from the detachment of the boulder, although, I have no idea of how it would be realistic without looking too cartoony... when blocks detach from formations they have low energy, they make a characteristic noise from the craking, but the dust comes from the friction on the movement. Any inputs?

The cool idea. Are you going to use the same cloud particle, or different particles for gravel and sand? Because sand makes bigger clouds than gravel. And sandstone makes lower clouds than the sand. I'm suggesting, I know that probably the blocks that I said are not going to be included.

I understand what you mean and agree with that. But thats up to Dunk and Bioxx, I don't know, but it would be cool, artists would have a LOT of work if it would be different for every rock, that's not really up to me, my code allows it.