Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Leosallespoli

Particles

135 posts in this topic

It's not pretty or polished, but here is the rough concept:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCETADyN3Gs

Two things are happening. When you break smooth stone it turns to cracked/cobble stone, and rock debris entities are spawned. When they land they make gravel. Ideally the rock entities would make rock debris blocks, which I haven't implemented. The rock debris pile could grow in height the more debris lands on it. I wasn't able to get the rock debris entities to render, so they're not visible, but they do pop off and follow an arc like any other time you break a block.

My other idea was to make smooth stone require multiple pickaxe strikes on it before it completely disappears. On each strike part of the block would be removed in a similar way to how TFC chisels work with the slab mode. Also why not have the rock debris entities continue to roll and fall, say down a mountain or hill, until they stop rather than have them spawn blocks the instant they touch ground.

If you're interested in the code, message me, it's not very complicated.

I see, what I was planning is not to have the full block, but the boundary increases, like you said, as the entities fall on top, so it doesn't pop blocks out of nowhere.

If you want we can work together on this idea and improve all the effects.

Do it! Despite this looking like a pain in the butt right now this will make mining far more interesting, I mean think of the possibilities. Same with blocks decreasing in size as you mine them that would be amazing. We would have the most amazing mining system ever! Excuse me while I go scream about this from roof

Picks would last half as long though D:

No fun for our stone age friends.

Unless you can pick up whatever the rocks leave behind with your hand. Mmm, something rocky you can pick with your hand in TFC, doesn't that sound a little... familiar?

Loose rocks!<-- nothing suspicious here, what are you talking about? ·-·

This is TFC, grow a pair!

also, @ JAG, would those rocks still scan for ore? so basically digging around anywhere with a pickaxe would become a inacurate way of prospecting?? :D

This is TFC, grow a pair!

also, @ JAG, would those rocks still scan for ore? so basically digging around anywhere with a pickaxe would become a inacurate way of prospecting?? :D

Yep :P

That would be close to how prospecting is irl, but it should be really inaccurate. But still it should give you an expertise through it. maybe analysis of debris?

It's not pretty or polished, but here is the rough concept:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCETADyN3Gs

Two things are happening. When you break smooth stone it turns to cracked/cobble stone, and rock debris entities are spawned. When they land they make gravel. Ideally the rock entities would make rock debris blocks, which I haven't implemented. The rock debris pile could grow in height the more debris lands on it. I wasn't able to get the rock debris entities to render, so they're not visible, but they do pop off and follow an arc like any other time you break a block.

My other idea was to make smooth stone require multiple pickaxe strikes on it before it completely disappears. On each strike part of the block would be removed in a similar way to how TFC chisels work with the slab mode. Also why not have the rock debris entities continue to roll and fall, say down a mountain or hill, until they stop rather than have them spawn blocks the instant they touch ground.

If you're interested in the code, message me, it's not very complicated.

I don't really like that at all :S

I'm sure its just an early version as was leo's original video which no offense looked horrible. But after work and with help from leo, we could develop this into a much larger idea. Much, much larger, like gargantuan, like so big we might need two forums just to properly hold all of the people coming in to say "WE LUVS U TFC, U IS MY FAV GAME". All joking aside a rubble mechanic would make a fabulous amount of sense. We break the rock and after it shatters we pick up the pieces, or not, maybe we want huge messy tunnels.

I gave leo the OK to develop his particles (and ONLY particles), and i still didn't give him a guarantee that it would be added.

I'm slapping a big X on that right there.

if the rocks instead actually made a block similar to our rocks we find lying on the ground would you like it?

obviously the gravel is VERY off putting lol

For starters, mining up would be fun because as you mined, cobble would form and fall on you.

I gave leo the OK to develop his particles (and ONLY particles), and i still didn't give him a guarantee that it would be added.

I'm slapping a big X on that right there.

First off, that video wasn't Leo's work but a test from aeroc. (As far as i can tell, did not read all posts)

Secondly, the basic idea there... I like it a lot. It is just an early "proof of concept".

Finally, don't dismiss something based on personal opinion without first thinking of the possibilities it could bring to the future of TFC. At least put it up to a vote (once in a finished state) or at least hear people out...

Many projects die that way because some people get stuck with a specific mindset and refuse to budge to ideas that could potentially make the whole experience a much more rewarding one. The percentage of people that think exactly alike on these matters are less than 10% as far as i am concerned.

For starters, mining up would be fun because as you mined, cobble would form and fall on you.

Yes, what's the downside? =)

._. Err... it's just a proof of concept, not the finished thing. As i myself suggested, what would be scattered around would be those same loose rock you find everywhere in the surface (If they take my suggestion, of course). And... technically, don't we have the same thing already with cave ins? sure, you gotta be stupid for 'causing one, but you can easily provke lotws of cobble to form over you and fall on you.

That sounds like a great idea to me, seems to reinforce the fact TFC has physics compared to vanilla, although honestly I've never found myself digging straight up because I assumed I'd cause a cave in by it anyway.

Edit: We're using Dwarf Fortress Fun right? x]

I'm pretty sure thats how it works in real life. I don't know did I miss the part where picks make rocks evaporate? This seems like an idea which is great you must admit that. The video showed nothing besides proof of concept, this was a here "I'll show you that it is possible because bsb23 was curious about it" video, not a "it needs to be like this" video.

Edit: Look directly above the video. It says "It's not pretty or polished, but here is the rough concept:"

On the topic of real life mining, I still don't know how steve can hold 64m3 piles of solid stone in his hands.

If you add invent inventory limits, they can only hold a few stones at a time (which will lead to some massive stone buildups at the top of the mine)

On the topic of real life mining, I still don't know how steve can hold 64m3 piles of solid stone in his hands.

If you add invent inventory limits, they can only hold a few stones at a time (which will lead to some massive stone buildups at the top of the mine)

This has been discussed before and countless times on top of that.

TFC doesn't add realism for the sake of realism. If it takes the fun out of the game (I.E, dragging one stone block at a time out of a mine) then it's not a desirable feature.

However, adding more dynamics and risks to mining... that gives the player(s) a bigger challenge and most players want a challenge without being forced into a grind.

However, this isn't only about the challenge. At least what i see of it!

This concept adds a bit of (currently lacking) authenticity to the game. I have always wondered why Notch never made smoothstone crush into cobblestone the moment you get at it with a pickaxe. Then you would have to clear the cobblestone piece by piece or layer by layer and you get the rocks of the cobble, which you then could assemble into a solid cobblestone block or alternatively crush into gravel for other applications. (Like concrete)

Do you guys know what the word "no" means? It's not happening aeroc.

Obviously this game is being made by the devs, for the devs. Sure, bring up your ideas, but be ready for them to crushed when they don't fit into their plan even if the ideas are wanted by people in the community.

dockwithme, the idea is made according to its use within the plans of the devs indeed, remember its their game, the community suggest idea's, quite a few of em are shot down because its either: not fitting with the mod/ too difficult to make for too light a function/ presentation or use of the idea is unclear or too few / because they arent ready to update that part yet.

if something gets shot down, its never on personal bias, its purely business, in fact, this is one of the most player-based mods so far, most of them just go: i want this, i make it, people want sumthing? bitchplease idc its my mod.

bitchplease idc its my mod.

I feel like this is what I hear a lot here. I understand there is a lot of suggestions here to moderate, but the tone is always condescending. When I said 'crushed,' I meant just that.

Back on topic: I like what I see of the particles, and I'll second (or third, idk) the idea of the particles being a lot shorter lived. If you were making a wall, there would be a huge cloud of dust. It would make me not want to build because of that. If they lasted a little less than second after they hit the ground, that would be ideal. That's all you need for the FEELING that the object has weight and is interacting with the environment. Anymore would just be overwhelming.

I feel like this is what I hear a lot here. I understand there is a lot of suggestions here to moderate, but the tone is always condescending. When I said 'crushed,' I meant just that.

Back on topic: I like what I see of the particles, and I'll second (or third, idk) the idea of the particles being a lot shorter lived. If you were making a wall, there would be a huge cloud of dust. It would make me not want to build because of that. If they lasted a little less than second after they hit the ground, that would be ideal. That's all you need for the FEELING that the object has weight and is interacting with the environment. Anymore would just be overwhelming.

hey bro. Do you know what the word "ban" means?

This IS our mod, not yours. WE are the developers making OUR game. The forums are NOT here for you to tell us what to do.

we DO listen to suggestions, horses, horse carts and many other features come directly off the forums, but we're not here to bow before you when our own judgement says otherwise.

dunk, calm down, both posts you just made sound too angry, of course its your mod, and any normal person realizes that, and he didnt exactly tell you WHAT to do, he's just mad none of his ideas made the batch yet.