Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kimbblesrath

Anyone play any musical instruments?

40 posts in this topic

I play flute, just getting started in school band.. any tips?

I play flute, just getting started in school band.. any tips?

I played flute in the past.

Nice. How far in the past? Any tips? It is hard for me to maintain a steady note for more than 10 seconds or so. Also, I can't really play any of the low r high notes. Keep in mind, just started 3 days a go, been practicing a lot.

Nice. How far in the past? Any tips? It is hard for me to maintain a steady note for more than 10 seconds or so. Also, I can't really play any of the low r high notes. Keep in mind, just started 3 days a go, been practicing a lot.

In the middle school...and it was the only instriment that I ever played (well)

In the middle school...and it was the only instriment that I ever played (well)

Same. So you have some age similarities. Still. Any tips?

Same. So you have some age similarities. Still. Any tips?

What do you mean with this?

What do you mean with this?

As in you played the flute in middles school, and so am i.

As in you played the flute in middles school, and so am i.

Yes, all the middle school. It was boring :P

Yes, all the middle school. It was boring :P

So you don't have any tips?

So you don't have any tips?

I have some. Stop every 5 seconds if you don't want to break your mouth and try at home when there is no one hearing :P

i have played piano for 6 years, and about the flute it depends on what kind of flute i play a bit of the recoder (dont know if its the correct name its this instrument http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recorder) and when i play very long notes on it what i do is that i take an small breath (if you take a big breath you'll have more trouble) and then i relax myself and exhale very very slowly that way i can keep up to 7-8 sec.

Good luck playing the flute, music is just awesome and even more if you interpret it.

i have played piano for 6 years, and about the flute it depends on what kind of flute i play a bit of the recoder (dont know if its the correct name its this instrument http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recorder) and when i play very long notes on it what i do is that i take an small breath (if you take a big breath you'll have more trouble) and then i relax myself and exhale very very slowly that way i can keep up to 7-8 sec.

Good luck playing the flute, music is just awesome and even more if you interpret it.

HEEEEEEY!

Thats the seven samurais you got in your pic, isn't it?

HEEEEEEY!

Thats the seven samurais you got in your pic, isn't it?

OMG someone, finally someone who knows him!!!! its not the seven samurais its from yojimbo both made by akira kurosawa my favorite movie director, the actor its toshiro mifune he acted as kikuchiyo in seven samurais and as yojimbo.

OMG someone, finally someone who knows him!!!! its not the seven samurais its from yojimbo both made by akira kurosawa my favorite movie director, the actor its toshiro mifune he acted as kikuchiyo in seven samurais and as yojimbo.

That's the movie that A fist full of dollars where remade from, both are very excelllent movies.

oh, and as for the instrument. i learned accoustic guitar in middleschool. never really had much interest in it though. didn't even have any distinct taste in music and so i haven't played it again since. have pretty much forgotten all about it.

during recent times however i've taken a huuuuge liking into celtic folk music. so now i'd love to learn how to toot on some flutes! it'd be cool to buy some cheap old wooden flute that i can set on fire when i realize how terrible it sounds.

That's the movie that A fist full of dollars where remade from, both are very excelllent movies.

oh, and as for the instrument. i learned accoustic guitar in middleschool. never really had much interest in it though. didn't even have any distinct taste in music and so i haven't played it again since. have pretty much forgotten all about it.

during recent times however i've taken a huuuuge liking into celtic folk music. so now i'd love to learn how to toot on some flutes! it'd be cool to buy some cheap old wooden flute that i can set on fire when i realize how terrible it sounds.

So.....a recorder?

I'm going to answer the question the thread name poses, since I don't know anything about playing the flute, so here goes...

Guitar: I've played for almost 13 years, started when I was 5. I consider myself fairly good, but I certainly could be better given the amount of time I've been playing. I have had many guitars over the years, but my two current ones are....

- My main electric guitar is a metallic blue custom made (I built it with my step-dad) SG, the body and neck are both Mahogany and the fingerboard is rosewood. It is set up as a standard SG with 2 hum-buckers and classic gibson dials, standard tune-o-matic bridge. It's a sweet guitar, but veerrry heavy.

- My main acoustic guitar is a cheap Samick dreadnaught style steel string acoustic. It really doesn't have anything too fancy, and as far as I can tell the body is made of plywood laminated to look like mahogany, and the neck is similar, but it does have a rosewood fingerboard. My step-dad found it in a pawn shop for 40 bucks, and it's a solid guitar for that price. It is currently out of action as one of the tuning heads stripped the other day, I need to get it fixed :P.

Bass: Played for about 4 years now. I don't play as often as I'd like to and am not as good as I'd like to be. But I can play slap bass somewhat and am decent at standard bass technique mostly because of my past experience with playing the guitar, the are pretty similar tbh. My current bass is a black peavy 4-string, maple body and neck, with a rosewood fretboard. Pretty standard hardware, p-bass style pickups and standard fender style bridge.

Drums: I suck at drums, and have never played them seriously, but I have a kit I mess around on every once in a while, It mostly gets used when my friend who actually plays drums comes over and we jam :P.

Keyboard/Piano: I have no formal training and only play keyboard when I'm composing electronic music. I'm not very good and couldn't tell you what I'm playing, I usually just mess around until I find something that sounds good.

So yeah, there's the musical side of me :)

I have both in DVD here, plus a few more, Ran is GREAT!

I have both in DVD here, plus a few more, Ran is GREAT!

I have almost his complete filmography, i just love kurosawa, he inspired me to be willing to become a movie director one day.

I have tought of uploading some of the movies i have so others can see them but im not sure if people will like it, if you want any movie from kurosawa or any other just tell me and i'll se what i can do.

I played cello for 5 years in middle/high school. Lots of fun, but kinda miss it now in college...

I can play the skin flute

The only instrument that I ever "learned" how to play was the recorder back in the 3rd Grade, which was about thirteen years ago. I tool around with a music synthesizer app on my iPod every once in a while (which I really should do more, considering that it was expensive as fuck), but am not at all skilled with it.

The best thing you could do for yourself if you have plans on going far in band is to do a lot of cardiovascular exercise and try to learn circular breathing. Doing a lot of cardio will teach your body to use its oxygen supply more efficiently and will also help to expand your lung capacity. Circular breathing is hard as hell, but it is amazing if you can figure out how to do it. Essentially, when you need to take a breath, you push air from your lungs into your mouth and use that air to play the instrument while you breathe in through your nose.

I played trumpet for a few years and then baritone for a few years after that, both in school. Now I play blues harmonica, just as a little hobby though, and I'm not very good yet.

I played cello for 5 years in middle/high school. Lots of fun, but kinda miss it now in college...

I can play the skin flute

The only instrument that I ever "learned" how to play was the recorder back in the 3rd Grade, which was about thirteen years ago. I tool around with a music synthesizer app on my iPod every once in a while (which I really should do more, considering that it was expensive as fuck), but am not at all skilled with it.

The best thing you could do for yourself if you have plans on going far in band is to do a lot of cardiovascular exercise and try to learn circular breathing. Doing a lot of cardio will teach your body to use its oxygen supply more efficiently and will also help to expand your lung capacity. Circular breathing is hard as hell, but it is amazing if you can figure out how to do it. Essentially, when you need to take a breath, you push air from your lungs into your mouth and use that air to play the instrument while you breathe in through your nose.

I played trumpet for a few years and then baritone for a few years after that, both in school. Now I play blues harmonica, just as a little hobby though, and I'm not very good yet.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and your tips Ditto!

any tips?

overwhelmingly useful post