Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kimbblesrath

Anyone play any musical instruments?

40 posts in this topic

overwhelmingly useful post

Guys Dunk is the only guy that can make me laugh with my own posts :D

Me hit six strings.

For five years now, the same old country-acoustic guitar. I guess, she's vintage now.

Me hit six strings.

For five years now, the same old country-acoustic guitar. I guess, she's vintage now.

So you play country music? Or are you referring to the type of guitar? In which case what is often associated with country is the steel string acoustic, originally developed as a sturdier, traveling mans version of the traditional classical nylon (or similar material) string guitar. Steel string guitars became popular as the U.S. expanded westward and the pioneers wanted some music for the long trek, so they made the same ol' classical guitars but stuck a steel rod in the neck and used all metal wire for strings. The steel rod, called a truss rod, allows the neck to be bent back into shape after it has warped due to climate changes or just natural bending due to pressure. The metal strings were more durable and broke less often, a good feature when you are traveling for a solid few months. So, yeah, just a little guitar history lesson for those who didn't already know. But back to my original question, are you talking about the guitar or the type of music you play? :)

So you play country music? Or are you referring to the type of guitar? In which case what is often associated with country is the steel string acoustic, originally developed as a sturdier, traveling mans version of the traditional classical nylon (or similar material) string guitar.

I was referring to guitar type. I'm using steel strings .13 - .56 with phosphor bronze roundwound, and I can't play country music. Well, not on purpose anyway.

And her truss is broken for the last four years, but in a good position so I can play her normally. But I'm starting to feel I need new and more expensive guitar.

I started on clarinet in grade school and switched to a tenor adn alto sax in high school for Jazz band and marching band. Played Bassoon in symphonic band. Took Piano classes for a year or so. Choir. did some orchestra stuff with Bassoon.

TLDR: I played a lot of woodwinds

And her truss is broken for the last four years, but in a good position so I can play her normally. But I'm starting to feel I need new and more expensive guitar.

Well, that's... lucky, I have a guitar with a broken truss (my blue sg :() that didn't end in a happy place, so now my action is annoyingly high.

Also, don't always judge a guitar by it's price. My $40 beater is better than some couple hundred dollar guitars I've played. Take time to look into the details and get to know the maker (not personally), just do some research on them, so you know their reputation. They can make an awful guitar sound like your dream guitar with some fancy wording. So don't look for a more expensive guitar, look for a better one. :)

I started on clarinet in grade school and switched to a tenor adn alto sax in high school for Jazz band and marching band. Played Bassoon in symphonic band. Took Piano classes for a year or so. Choir. did some orchestra stuff with Bassoon.

TLDR: I played a lot of woodwinds

If those 5 very Hemingway sentences requires a TL;DR nowadays, I fear for the future of the human race.

Also, don't always judge a guitar by it's price. My $40 beater is better than some couple hundred dollar guitars I've played. Take time to look into the details and get to know the maker (not personally), just do some research on them, so you know their reputation. They can make an awful guitar sound like your dream guitar with some fancy wording. So don't look for a more expensive guitar, look for a better one. :)

Well, mine one costs about $70. I'm not saying I'll look exclusively on the price, but better one will probably be more expensive one as well.

Unless it's a same model with working truss, but I doubt it, her truss broke in far "unbend" position.

that's probably because your guitar is made better, but the expensive one has higher quality materials.

I have played the musical band instrument the flute for at least two years. I used to play violin; now the wooden-string instrument is in dire need of repairs.

-Sda209

I play the drums. I've played for like, 3 years? But I feel like a while ago I stagnated and I haven't been very inspired to play because of it. I'm not that good, but it's still fun to make some funk every now and then.

The best thing you could do for yourself if you have plans on going far in band is to do a lot of cardiovascular exercise and try to learn circular breathing. Doing a lot of cardio will teach your body to use its oxygen supply more efficiently and will also help to expand your lung capacity. Circular breathing is hard as hell, but it is amazing if you can figure out how to do it. Essentially, when you need to take a breath, you push air from your lungs into your mouth and use that air to play the instrument while you breathe in through your nose.

I played trumpet for a few years and then baritone for a few years after that, both in school. Now I play blues harmonica, just as a little hobby though, and I'm not very good yet.

Kimbblesrath... my man... lotsa good advice there, what Ditto said.

Breathing and cardiovasxular is very important in music. I had to learn breathing techniques for vocals, and while i dont play woodwinds or brass, it can only be as important.

Drums are quite demanding, and on different levels depending on the type of music you are involved in, and even guitars and piano.

One thing i know is that after a long day of stress, after an hour in front of my Mesa with my Guild, i feel like a new man. It is an artistic release and truly a gift to be able to play music.

Stick with it, dude, and if you find an interest in music, i would encourage you to explore your options. There are many instruments out there!

ROCK ON!

-snip-

Rather unrelated to what you just said, but I've been meaning to ask you this, and keep forgetting. What DAW do you use? Along with any other music gear/software you'd care to share. :)

Rather unrelated to what you just said, but I've been meaning to ask you this, and keep forgetting. What DAW do you use? Along with any other music gear/software you'd care to share. :)/>

I have Cakewalk Pro ij the basement, archaic but useful. Have an Allen & Heath 16 mixer running into the PC. All equipment going into that.

On my PC that is currently non operational thanks to some asshole dillweed... i have adobe cs6 audition... my fave.

As far as what equipment i have, i dont have enough time to type it out. Lol. Nor do i think my ipod will remain in tact if i attempt to typeall that out. ;)

Hello; I don't have any tips on the flute as i never liked playing wind instruments(just a personal like and dislike thing, no biggy) i can say how much musical experience i have,

piano: took 5 years of lessons on playing and music composition, and learned from self teaching for another 6 years after that, and still play today,

Acoustic Guitar; took lessons for 2 years and self taught for another 11 years in both note playing, reading and composition.

Violin; 4 years self taught and it shows. :P

Electric guitar total of 15 years with a master education in musical composition with the following genres for electric guitar(any type cause believe me 15 years i make them all sound BA); Black metal, classical, classic rock,hard rock, and death metal. (and a wee bit of folk and jingle for me family)

Electric bass; 7 years self taught using my overall experience with my other instruments.

overall about 16+ years of musical composition,playing,note reading and m/ full metal bad assery. m/

Edit-shit almost forgot about a 4 year degree in music production to become a music producer. :P