Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Pakislav

My personal review. +Hi

47 posts in this topic

Hi to everyone.

I'm new to the forums and to this mod, but after playing for a while I decided to make a little review of what I like and don't like about it.

First of, it is indeed an incarnation of how I imagined Minecraft to become during it's Alpha and Beta developement. It's just pretty much perfect.

Stone knapping, metal smelting, variety of stones, minerals, trees etc. It is exactly how I had hoped Minecraft would eventually turn out and more.

But it has it's downsides.

Over-all, I find it pretty dull.

It takes a lot of time to do anything in TerrafirmaCraft, and it just doesn't seem to pay off.

Maybe it's just my frustration taking over, but at least a few things break the expirience for me.

First of, the default textures have very dim colours. They are dull and quite similar all accros the border, thought I hadn't had a chance to do much exploring, which take me too the second thing.

Skeletons. They are the only mob that poses threat to the player, and an OP one at that. They are simply BOUND to hit the player at least once, and given how slow health is regenerated, encounter with even one skeleton can lead to a rather annoying, long wait. Creepers on the other hand, unlike in Vanilla, are just cute and cudly... They don't pose any danger, and don't damage anything, even if they blow inside my house, they are not nearly as annoying as skeletons. Zombies on the other hand just take long to kill... adding to the amount of time wasted on dull tasks.

Digging takes a lot of time. A LOT of time, and doesn't pay off at all. The caves are sparse, small, and simply empty. most of the time caved-in. There is just nothing interesting going on underground.

I found a huge system of caves in a High Hills biome, and there was literally nothing in it. I have wasted hours on ding, and exploring them, only finding three types of stone. No minerals. No ores. No lava, no water, no mob spanwers, no mineshafts, nothing. Just an empty space and annoying skeletons. I've spent hours just waiting for my health to get back up after being unfortunate to encounter two skeletons... It's not fun.

I agree that resources should be rare. Minerals shouldn't be easy to find, and they are indeed very hard to find. Too hard. Except when you go around turning pebels on the ground. After running around for a while, just punching the ground in front of me I had enough copper and tin not to bother mining for quite a while... But I couldn't do anything with it. Because I unrealistically I needed to find flux to make a specific kind of anvil. As figures, I had no luck finding flux, after hours and hours of searching. I have enough bronze smelted to make a full set of tools, weapons and armor, but I can't use it... because I need flux to make a copper anvil just to make a bronze anvil.

And I really, really don't like that. There is no realistic reason for me to have to make a specific type of anvil to work with bronze... I could understand if I needed a metal anvil to work with copper or bronze, bu it just doesn't make sense, realism and gameplay-wise for me to have to make a bronze anvil to make bronze tools. I could understand that lower tier anvil produces more damaged tools, but as it stands, it's just irritating rather then entertaining.

There is also the new feature of trees growing wildly. It's still WIP, and I like the idea, but the way they grow now is not what I would expect. This feature, very quickly changes all landscapes into a dull forest full of sparse, small trees. It defeats it's purpose, as I don't have to bother to plant trees at all as there are hundreds growing all around. The sequoia and the jungle equivalent trees don't have saplings, as I have read, to introduce the concept of scarcity.

I think that saplings of this trees should be re-introduced, and the mechanic of how trees spread and grow changed. New trees should only naturally start growing very close to other trees, spreading the forest outwards rather then systematically covering entire world. The trees should also all grow to be as big as the rare big oaks in Vanilla. Of course, it should take time, and the trees should go throught different phases of growth. First the saplings should grow like wheat or maybe sugar canes, and turn into a small tree with just few logs after, say, a week. Then the tree should continue to grow until reaching it's mature size, specific to each tree. The bigger the mature tree the longer it grows, going throught more growing phases.

Hi and welcome to the TFC forums!!!

First of all let me explain you some things. TFC is meant to be believable, not the classic old overpowered vanilla minecraft. And TFC is a more difficult minecraft for players that love the hard game. If you don't like the hard game, then TFC isn't for you probably.

It takes a lot of time to do anything in TerrafirmaCraft, and it just doesn't seem to pay off.

True, but because TFC is meant to be believable and hard.

First of, the default textures have very dim colours

Believe me, TFC needs those textures, and if you don't like them, you can visit the texture packs section of the forums.

Creepers on the other hand, unlike in Vanilla, are just cute and cudly... They don't pose any danger, and don't damage anything, even if they blow inside my house, they are not nearly as annoying as skeletons.

This doesn't matter because creepers are going to be removed.

Digging takes a lot of time. A LOT of time, and doesn't pay off at all. The caves are sparse, small, and simply empty. most of the time caved-in. There is just nothing interesting going on underground.

There are ores underground, but you can't know where without a prospector's pick. Also there are less caves than in vanilla, because vanilla didn't have caves, it had sandworms holes. And too many of them. A similar world can't exist. TFC caves are way better and they're believable because they're more realistic than vanilla *caves*

No ores. No lava, no water, no mob spanwers, no mineshafts, nothing.

Ores and lava exist, but lava is deep like IRL. Also water exists, but not underground I think. Mobs spawners? Not believable. Dungeons too. Mineshaft don't exist because Steve is supposed to be a caveman. Then no mineshaft already existent.

Because I unrealistically I needed to find flux to make a specific kind of anvil. As figures, I had no luck finding flux, after hours and hours of searching.

To find flux you must know where to search.

There is no realistic reason for me to have to make a specific type of anvil to work with bronze... I could understand if I needed a metal anvil to work with copper or bronze, bu it just doesn't make sense, realism and gameplay-wise for me to have to make a bronze anvil to make bronze tools. I could understand that lower tier anvil produces more damaged tools, but as it stands, it's just irritating rather then entertaining.

As what I said before, you can't make perfect tools if you're a caveman. Also you need different anvils to make the game harder and believable, because otherwise you could work red steel in a stone anvil.

There is also the new feature of trees growing wildly. It's still WIP, and I like the idea, but the way they grow now is not what I would expect. This feature, very quickly changes all landscapes into a dull forest full of sparse, small trees. It defeats it's purpose, as I don't have to bother to plant trees at all as there are hundreds growing all around.

Believe me. In TFC a forest will not be enough for you. You will need lots and lots of wood to make something good. Let your forest grow.

New trees should only naturally start growing very close to other trees, spreading the forest outwards rather then systematically covering entire world.

This was suggested but you're new and you couldn't know this. Maybe when trees are ended, they will be something similar to what you suggested.

Ok, I ended here. And welcome again! :)

Not a single word about endermen. And they are death itself in TFC, unless you have a sword and set of armour, not just minor annoyance, like skeletons are.

Yeah Endermen are instant death when they attack, but you can avoid pissing them off since they leave you alone unless you look them in the face.

Yeah Endermen are instant death when they attack, but you can avoid pissing them off since they leave you alone unless you look them in the face.

You can quickly look them, then look away ant that sound appears...

Hi and welcome to the forums and the nice overview you gave, a few words to it.

The game is actually not that hard once you understood how it works. Im pretty fast to get my first tools and start mining. A few things to keep in mind: The anvils: They pose the single and only thing that is is separated in tiers in TFC, cause it should take some time and work to get the better tools. A Steel pick for example has around 2.5 times the durability of a diamond pick from vanilla MC.

Before you can start you need to make sure that you settled near a layer of igneous rock or you need to, slowly, get yourself a block of igneous stone by handmining the stone around it, this may take some time.

About the ores, congratulations you are one of the few ppl that find only copper, that is actually pretty rare and it sounds like you had some bad luck. But you made bronze, so it seems you have cassiterite too. Make your first tools with tin, preferably a pick axe and a prospectors pick. Then go to the point where you found the ore and dig down, best way to do so is go down to about Y 130-140. Start checking the walls with your prospectors pick and try to find the first readings of the ore. Once you found it pin point it down. There are guides in the wiki on how to use the pro pick. Once you found your first vein, you should be good to make a lot of tools. A normal first vein should have at least around 5 stacks of ore. that is well enough to make tools.

The next 2 tools you want to make are a chisel and a hammer. The chisel is used to make a bloomery for faster ore melting and the hammer is used to make flux, which you struggle to find, but keep in mind that a lot of stone can also be turned into flux. (see wiki for information about that).

Once you found deposits a bit deeper (im always getting useful results at around Y60), you'll be set for a good while with that metal. Oh and really, forget about running through caves to find ores...you probably won't. The less caves the better for digging, cause there's more stone that can have ores in it.

Once you got the metal hammer and a flux stone or even borax, make flux and make your first real metal anvil with it.

Believe me, once you worked out how this stuff works it's not so hard anymore. But TFC really requires you to learn a bit how it works before you can use it easily.

or you can simply get it from stones, chalk + hammer for example gives you 2 flux.

As what I said before, you can't make perfect tools if you're a caveman. Also you need different anvils to make the game harder and believable, because otherwise you could work red steel in a stone anvil.

There is a better reason for that, you need at least the same tier anvil or else you would simply break the anvil.

Copper is harder then stone so working copper on a stone anvil would break the anvil, so you first make a copper anvil then you can work the copper on it.

The assumption is that each next tier metal/alloy is stronger and harder then the previous.

Also I think they should do this for hammer as well, so you will need copper anvil and copper hammer to really work copper tools.

let's give this a run down!

First of, it is indeed an incarnation of how I imagined Minecraft to become during it's Alpha and Beta developement. It's just pretty much perfect.

Stone knapping, metal smelting, variety of stones, minerals, trees etc. It is exactly how I had hoped Minecraft would eventually turn out and more.

As did I.

First of, the default textures have very dim colours. They are dull and quite similar all accros the border, thought I hadn't had a chance to do much exploring, which take me too the second thing.

I agree with the colours, not my favorite, and I really feel it needs a texture pack to show of the world, I'd check the texture pack forums.

Skeletons. They are the only mob that poses threat to the player, and an OP one at that. They are simply BOUND to hit the player at least once, and given how slow health is regenerated, encounter with even one skeleton can lead to a rather annoying, long wait. Creepers on the other hand, unlike in Vanilla, are just cute and cudly... They don't pose any danger, and don't damage anything, even if they blow inside my house, they are not nearly as annoying as skeletons. Zombies on the other hand just take long to kill... adding to the amount of time wasted on dull tasks.

Skeletons I've not found to be any more of a threat than vanilla, I'm not sure if you're computer's having problems keeping up or something.

Also, maybe you just need to make weapons, a stick with a stone on the end makes, pretty much the best weapon in the game.

I found a huge system of caves in a High Hills biome, and there was literally nothing in it. I have wasted hours on ding, and exploring them, only finding three types of stone. No minerals. No ores. No lava, no water, no mob spanwers, no mineshafts, nothing. Just an empty space and annoying skeletons. I've spent hours just waiting for my health to get back up after being unfortunate to encounter two skeletons... It's not fun.

You don't just look around and find ores in TFC, by design. You have tools to help you find ores, and you can use the small ores from breaking rocks on the surface to tell you what's in an area, some areas have no ores, but the areas that do often have MASSIVE veins of it.

I agree that resources should be rare. Minerals shouldn't be easy to find, and they are indeed very hard to find. Too hard. Except when you go around turning pebels on the ground. After running around for a while, just punching the ground in front of me I had enough copper and tin not to bother mining for quite a while... But I couldn't do anything with it. Because I unrealistically I needed to find flux to make a specific kind of anvil. As figures, I had no luck finding flux, after hours and hours of searching. I have enough bronze smelted to make a full set of tools, weapons and armor, but I can't use it... because I need flux to make a copper anvil just to make a bronze anvil.

And I really, really don't like that. There is no realistic reason for me to have to make a specific type of anvil to work with bronze... I could understand if I needed a metal anvil to work with copper or bronze, bu it just doesn't make sense, realism and gameplay-wise for me to have to make a bronze anvil to make bronze tools. I could understand that lower tier anvil produces more damaged tools, but as it stands, it's just irritating rather then entertaining.

You don't need bronze, you need to just make tin tools at first, making bronze alone it wouldn't seem would help you, I've yet to find a world where judging by the surface rocks I couldn't go to a decent depth and get tin or bismuth at least. Ores are deeper than you may be used to, that just means you have to get deeper before starting, and make a prospectors pick which helps you locate ores. As for flux, it's not an early game thing, so I wouldn't worry about it, you should be fully tooled up in tin or bismuth before you even worry about that.

Edit: I'm thinking maybe you're unfamiliar with the stone anvil, so long as you have a hammer right click on the top of igneous stone to make it, igneous stone seems to be the most common to me, but this may take some searching, if you find some you can break all the stone around it and it'll drop for you to take back to your base.

There is also the new feature of trees growing wildly. It's still WIP, and I like the idea, but the way they grow now is not what I would expect. This feature, very quickly changes all landscapes into a dull forest full of sparse, small trees. It defeats it's purpose, as I don't have to bother to plant trees at all as there are hundreds growing all around. The sequoia and the jungle equivalent trees don't have saplings, as I have read, to introduce the concept of scarcity.

I think that saplings of this trees should be re-introduced, and the mechanic of how trees spread and grow changed. New trees should only naturally start growing very close to other trees, spreading the forest outwards rather then systematically covering entire world. The trees should also all grow to be as big as the rare big oaks in Vanilla. Of course, it should take time, and the trees should go throught different phases of growth. First the saplings should grow like wheat or maybe sugar canes, and turn into a small tree with just few logs after, say, a week. Then the tree should continue to grow until reaching it's mature size, specific to each tree. The bigger the mature tree the longer it grows, going throught more growing phases.

We've got a thread on tree growth mechanics. We're looking forward to something closer to what you describe, but we're not sure what's going to happen, I agree this system is clearly not the best and a spreading near other trees system would be much better, I hope this is to come.

So dumb to base the entire idea of settling whether there is igneous rock near by or not. How would that work in a pvp setting. The first person to find it and control it has an advantage over the rest.

or you can simply get it from stones, chalk + hammer for example gives you 2 flux.

There is a better reason for that, you need at least the same tier anvil or else you would simply break the anvil.

Copper is harder then stone so working copper on a stone anvil would break the anvil, so you first make a copper anvil then you can work the copper on it.

The assumption is that each next tier metal/alloy is stronger and harder then the previous.

Also I think they should do this for hammer as well, so you will need copper anvil and copper hammer to really work copper tools.

To be completely fair, metal heated to the temperature where it is about to melt, becomes quite squishy, so you could work it with bare hands on your kneecaps or someone's back, assuming you can withstand what comes with putting heated metal on people.

So dumb to base the entire idea of settling whether there is igneous rock near by or not. How would that work in a pvp setting. The first person to find it and control it has an advantage over the rest.

So what? There's multiple igneous near-surface layers around the world, assuming you don't have this dumb world size restrictions.

So dumb to base the entire idea of politics and wealth around heredity. How would that work in a real setting? The first family to come into power would have an advantage over the rest.

Igneous is the most common from my experience, there's not one spot in the world lol

To be completely fair, metal heated to the temperature where it is about to melt, becomes quite squishy, so you could work it with bare hands on your kneecaps or someone's back, assuming you can withstand what comes with putting heated metal on people.

So what? There's multiple igneous near-surface layers around the world, assuming you don't have this dumb world size restrictions.

Didn't thought of it that way.

Then why ice is not getting any less solid until it passes the melting temperature?

Because ice, with very few exceptions, is not metal.

Here was my experience in multiplayer. Join the server and the entire spawn area was cleared of surface stones. Crossed an ocean swimming because i couldnt make a boat. Find a small island get the materials to make a boat and continued crossing an ocean. Found another continent but cant make a stupid anvil. Wasted my time.

When a server is not treated with care either by the players or administration, it will go to shit quite fast.

I have hosted a server before, and almost all of my free time went into fixing part of the maps, rolling back sections, clearing out inventories, providing content. You can't just turn on a server and forget about it, you have to know how to care for it.

I dont know if it was a bad seed or something but the whole world was mud stone

Didn't thought of it that way.

Then why ice is not getting any less solid until it passes the melting temperature?

Because ice isn't bendable like metals, to my knowledge anyway, and has quite solid structure across the board whereas metals have several types of crystalline structure along with amorphic type, all of which have different bonding forces between atoms. And metals tend to go from one type of structure to another when heated, being smithed, bended, that kind of stuff.

To be fair, ice too has several types of crystals, as well as some exotic stances, but for the most part difference in ice structure comes from impurities.

the TFC forums, the only place where your opinion, however negative, isnt beat into the ground like a zombie :D

the TFC forums, the only place where your opinion, however negative, isnt beat into the ground like a zombie :D

There are lots of phrases like this about these forums. We can say that TFC forums are everything. Especially abnormal things :D

Some parts of OP got slapped, but it is someone's opinion. He's not going to change opinion if you just beat it into the ground, you must give something in return. Or else it will arise again, but this time it will be immune to you.

But I couldn't do anything with it. Because I unrealistically I needed to find flux to make a specific kind of anvil. As figures, I had no luck finding flux, after hours and hours of searching.

I personally found my epic search for flux, which took me at least 10km from my main base, to be quite fun. It was a walkabout. And when I found Chalk Mountain and started to dig, what a feeling of accomplishment!

Hi to everyone.

I'm new to the forums and to this mod, but after playing for a while I decided to make a little review of what I like and don't like about it.

But it has it's downsides.

Over-all, I find it pretty dull.

------

------

This is a screenshot of nothing going on underground >->

Posted Image

Give it some time, dude. I am sure you will grow to like it. There is much to see and do, but you do need patience. Welcome to TFC! :)

Give it some time, dude. I am sure you will grow to like it. There is much to see and do, but you do need patience. Welcome to TFC! :)

This stone looks like a human made stone road/walls :o

Did you made it or it's just the texture pack?

Posted Image

Ewww, square minimap with Rei's default skin... me don't like that :X