Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
jayliu1984

Is there a purpose for this mod?

99 posts in this topic

I don't know about a purpose, put perhaps we can convince Dunk to give us porpoise or two to liven up the oceans.

Eye sea watt ewe did they're.

That is actually a much better idea than a purpose.

Come one Dunk. This game is porpoiseless.

It seems my hand is forced. Once I get all the necessary animals sorted out, I will look into porpoises

It seems my hand is forced. Once I get all the necessary animals sorted out, I will look into porpoises

Interesting...but porpoises or purposes? Confusing, but still good that Dunk will make porpoises :)

don't argue with game devs.

What? Seriously? How was thread ever an arguement or criticism?

It is more like a discussion or suggestion. I can't believe as a game dev, you just come in here and "fuk this fuk that" and then declear this is an arguement and then pulls the ultimate "I am the power" card.

It is more like a discussion or suggestion. I can't believe as a game dev, you just come in here and "fuk this fuk that" and then declear this is an arguement and then pulls the ultimate "I am the power" card.

while i absolutely dont care for your tone, you have the tiniest fraction of a point in the dont argue with game devs line itself, it shouldv been, dont argue with game devs, we cant change something every time says something :D

(dunk, this is NOT a complaint, thats positive criticism, done properly) (or at least so i intend) *ducks for massive banhammer on the horizon*

EDIT:

then I read "purpose" and I was like "D:<" FUCK PURPOSES. THE PURPOSE IS TO SURVIVE. YOU CAN'T WIN AT LIFE.

There is no escaping reason; no denying purpose. Because as we both know, without purpose, we would not exist.

It is purpose that created us.

Purpose that connects us.

Purpose that pulls us.

That guides us.

That drives us.

It is purpose that defines us.

Purpose that binds us.

i'm pretty sure some badass would disagree on that line Dunk :D *ducks for even more banhammer cover*

Yeah, but at some point the paved roads are likely going to be an actual thing, so you might just wanna build a huge lowered track in the land.

Had I done that I would have missed out on a nice bit of serendipity.

I've decided to build roads in each of the four cardinal directions from my home base. Each road is paved using bricks of a different type of stone. I started with the (not so) Great Eastern Road because it's the shortest, running just half a klick before ending at the Endless Sea. While building the Great Eastern Road I discovered a beautiful intrusion of chert which I thought would be perfect for the Great Southern Road. While mining chert for the road I discovered my first vein of coal, more cassiterite than I will ever have need of, and my first iron ore: magnetite. Alas, there was only enough magetite for a single ingot, so I'm still stuck in the Bronze Age.

But who knows what quarrying for the Great Northern Road will turn up!

Here's the problem with purpose:

Life does not have a purpose.* Why should a game?

For some reason I find the word "purpose" to be odd in this context, so I'm gonna use "goal" instead.

There's nothing wrong with a game having goals. CoD has a goal: kill all the bad guys. MW has a goal: kill all the bad guys. Resident Evil has a goal: kill all the bad guys. And so on.

My problem is that pretty much every game out there has a goal and usually it's a pretty narrow one (e.g. kill all the bad guys). That's what I find so delightful about Minecraft: it doesn't force you to chase a specific goal and is flexible enough to support a wide range of potential goals.

That's what I find so disappointing about all the time Mojang wastes on things like the Enderdragon. As a combat game Minecraft sucks. It doesn't matter how many dragons, witches and withers they add, it will continue to suck. If I'm in the mood for combat I'll never choose MC as that's simply not its strength. Rather than wasting resources trying to turn a wonderful sandbox and exploration game into a mediocre combat game, I wish Mojang would concentrate on beefing up the areas where the game excels.

... What are porpoises?

*Looks in the english wiki*

AWWW WANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANT <3

Ejem... i mean... they would be a good addition :3

Wow!!! What's going on here. If you don't like suggestions, you don't have to be rude about eh. Geee, relax...

I am not questioning the purpose of this mod (the purpose of the mod is to provide fun for players). I am merely saying that there should be a purpose for each in game mechanics/items. Or, the game should promote players to use those mechanics/items.

Take MC for example, there is no incentive for players to go out at night when one is trying to survive, or build a huge castle full of traps because the mobs are not smart/strong enough.

So if the mobs are actively hunting for you, the player is forced to come up with ingenious trap designs, fortes etc to suvive.

As for TFC, I am saying if it can implement something that would give the player the sence of urgency/necessity to mine/build stuff. In other words, harder game (but not in making the item harder to find way)

I told you that TFC does not need a purpose and will not have one. That was the end of the discussion. The reason I was so vehemently opposed to a "purpose" in TFC is that Bioxx and I agree that the end was minecraft's biggest mistake. When we set out to make TFC, we wanted to move away from that as much as possible. Having an "end" to a game takes away from the replayability of a game and overall lessens the value UNLESS there is a story line or plot. I have nothing against games like that and I quite enjoy them, but that's NOT what minecraft is. You can't just slap an end onto something with no real beginning or middle. Minecraft is a game of presence, it only ever IS, it never was or will be (By this I mean you shouldn't be playing it and looking forward to an end game, you should just play the game you have in front of you for what it is)

I'll add what I can one more time:

ask your self "What is the purpose of life?"

Same here, sandbox, set your own goals.

About the "Look MC have goals", not it's not, think about it.. someone forces you to kill the dragon?? (hint: no)

But Endgame doesn't have to be the same for everytime you start a new world. End game doesn't has to mean killing a boss.

It can be, if you crashed on an island, you have to gather enough material and make a raft go sail home (X, Y location) etc.

But Endgame doesn't have to be the same for everytime you start a new world. End game doesn't has to mean killing a boss.

It can be, if you crashed on an island, you have to gather enough material and make a raft go sail home (X, Y location) etc.

Bioxx and I are working on other projects than TFC. There is a definite aspect of that in something else we're working on, but TFC is staying as-is.

Bioxx and I are working on other projects than TFC. There is a definite aspect of that in something else we're working on, but TFC is staying as-is.

Really? Can you share some details? Is it like a standalone game of TFC or something?

What is stopping you then?

Alright, I will play TFC as it is as well and enjoy what it offers. Mean while I hope you guys will come up something like that, a unforgiving, realistic survival game which does not boils down to find this find that. But rather I found this and this, what can I do with it to fulfill one of my survival aspect.

I been thinking a game like that in my brain but unfortunately, I am not a software enginner, otherwise I would be writing my own MC too hahaha.

I hope you guys will success in your projects.

Alright, I will play TFC as it is as well and enjoy what it offers. Mean while I hope you guys will come up something like that, a unforgiving, realistic survival game which does not boils down to find this find that. But rather I found this and this, what can I do with it to fulfill one of my survival aspect.

I been thinking a game like that in my brain but unfortunately, I am not a software enginner, otherwise I would be writing my own MC too hahaha.

I hope you guys will success in your projects.

So you say that the only thing that is missing is that the game will tell you, "OH YOU ARE SO GREAT FOR BUILDING THAT WALL OF IRON"

This game is not designed for this, RPGs are, princess: "OH MARIO YOU SAVED ME"

What is stopping you then?

I am just making an example. MC or TFC does not have "build" a boat mechanics. I been thinking about having a "engine" block in MC of which will give you thrust in one direction. And you build a "boat/ship" with that "engine" block attached and red stone circuit to button controls in the cockpit.

So engine facing forward can stop a boat, facing backward is thrust, facing left and right turns the boat. And bigger the boat, the slower the boat goes, and u need to add more "engine" blocks to make it go faster.

Sorry I derailed there, but I am a mechanical engineer and building something like that in MC would be awesome.

I am just making an example. MC or TFC does not have "build" a boat mechanics. I been thinking about having a "engine" block in MC of which will give you thrust in one direction. And you build a "boat/ship" with that "engine" block attached and red stone circuit to button controls in the cockpit.

So engine facing forward can stop a boat, facing backward is thrust, facing left and right turns the boat. And bigger the boat, the slower the boat goes, and u need to add more "engine" blocks to make it go faster.

Sorry I derailed there, but I am a mechanical engineer and building something like that in MC would be awesome.

First it wasn't an answer.

Second what is that has to do with anything you've said before (the purpose)?

You are making a ship building suggestion now (why not put it in suggestion thread then).

The game can't predict what you want, and if you do expect it to, then you are confusing our technology with a few hundreds of years a head.

"MC or TFC does not have "build" a boat mechanics." - it's can't make you cookies too you know ;)

Haha you are lucky I'm late and its tired, and you made a good recovery, otherwise you would have already been flooded with my "speeches" you are far more graceful with a shot-down idea then most besides sticking to it for a second too long. I'm pretty sure everyone has done that a couple times. I will just send you one speech in the morning, just to make sure though. Mention it aggressively again though and I will make sure everyone will drown you in speeches. :P

For some reason I find the word "purpose" to be odd in this context, so I'm gonna use "goal" instead.

But there's the first problem with this being a reply to what I said. I was not talking about goals, I was talking about a purpose. In many contexts they might be interchangeable, but that doesn't mean the meaning is the same.

People can set their own goals, but a purpose is something underlying or fundamental - it is given or bestowed upon the subject. That is why religions talk of purpose as a product of the supernatural and goals as a product of human will.

The purpose is to find a sense of accomplishment in deriving mastery over an otherwise hostile or less than perfect world

You think TFC needs a purpose? Then make a purpose. You don't need an official purpose. Maybe you want to make a double chest full of gold? There is your purpose. Build a road? There is your purpose. Have a set of blue AND red steel armor? There is your purpose.