Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
jpezninjo

????

18 posts in this topic

so for the last couple of weeks ive been playing TFC just fine but recently i noticed my minecraft to be laggin randomly and ive now found that my java is only using 400,000K of memory instead of the usual 1,300,000!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Edit:u ppl are confusing my brain! i'l try all of these but it seems like http://terrafirmacra...-tfc-got-laggy/ might have the same problem. TFC is now only using enough memory for normal minecraft, not a full on conversion mod

Edit: anyone got a 1.4.2 .jar file link?

Edit: meh gonna reinstall. see wat happens.

maybe a recent java update wiped the memory settings? on windows 7, go to java from control panel->programs, java, then the java tab, and check to see if you have a -Xmx value for a runtime parameter.

Ok, you're new here but you need to know that a title of a topic should have something to do with the topic. In your case it's ???? ok, but you may receive more help if you change it in "Help, java is using less memory than the usual". Then, if you know how to change the title, you could be awesome, ok :) ?

lol yup very much new here. posted this right after i activated my account

maybe a recent java update wiped the memory settings? on windows 7, go to java from control panel->programs, java, then the java tab, and check to see if you have a -Xmx value for a runtime parameter.

err could u be more specific?

java runs a JVM, its an emulated computing environment. It uses settings from the runtime parameters to determine how much memory (among other things) it can use. If you follow my instructions above and enter in -Xmx2G into the runtime parameters field for your java install (once again thats Start->Control Panel->Programs->Java->Java tab->Runtime parameters field) any instance of the JVM on your machine will use at most 2 gigs of memory. -Xmx100m would set it to 100 megabytes. Just go there, and add this argument to the field, and you should be golden :D

Also don't double post - just edit your previous post.

Just for future refenrece because you seem new to the concept... JVM = Java virtual machine, an environment created on your computer itself. It's like Java runs a program in order to run your program while constraining the amoutn of RAM it can use. Make sure your Java is updated as Java 6 Xms has a phisical limit of 1.5 G

Try this:

start /high javaw -Xmx<exact Mb of RAM>M -Xms2048M -Djava.library.path=bin/natives -cp bin/minecraft.jar;bin/jinput.jar;bin/lwjgl.jar;bin/lwjgl_util.jar net.minecraft.client.Minecraft <username>
Paste it in a .bat and it will run double click it. Replace the stuff in <> and delete the <>. You may not be able to play multiplayer if you launch with it but multiplayer should be a bit less laggy.

If it doesn't work go to control panel/system/advanced system settings/advanced/environmental variables/. From there add a new system variable with the path to java. For example my path is C:Program FilesJavaJdk1.7.0_05binjavac.exe, name the variable javac. Look for CLASSPATH and QTJAVA in the list, I don't know if that's what makes it work but hell, you might need java in there, I use it.

You also need to go to control panel/java/java/view/user/ and on the latest version edit the runtime parameters and put in xmx <exact Mb of RAM(MUST BE SAME AS IN THE .bat)>m delete the <> just like in the .bat.

Also if you don't have 64bit java you need to download the latest version of it.

Or (how many times have I said this?) use MultiMC which lets you easily adjust how much memory to assign to your jvm running MC, and enjoy many other benefits.

followed ur thing wrong.... and i got 100,000 more K of RAM! almost halfway there!

Toy with that, it's not giving me the best results anymore, but with it my memory usage was about 1300000K.

Or (how many times have I said this?) use MultiMC which lets you easily adjust how much memory to assign to your jvm running MC, and enjoy many other benefits.

well i as a noob find that my problem is not that minecraft isnt getting enough memory, but that it isnt using enough

well i as a noob find that my problem is not that minecraft isnt getting enough memory, but that it isnt using enough

Er... what? Maybe I am not understanding what you are trying to say then. Java uses what is given to it... Minecraft will use of that what is demanded of it based on your video settings (render distance) and what mods you have installed. Java manages the memory though - not Minecraft. If it is running at all then it is using what it needs to. The actual memory being used at any one time will bounce up and down rapidly, so when you said it is only using 400Mb, I think everyone here thought you meant your settings because it doesn't actually make sense otherwise.

Could you perhaps explain what you are experiencing a bit more then so we can try to help you out? Maybe a screen shot of your debug screen or something.

Er... what? Maybe I am not understanding what you are trying to say then. Java uses what is given to it... Minecraft will use of that what is demanded of it based on your video settings (render distance) and what mods you have installed. Java manages the memory though - not Minecraft. If it is running at all then it is using what it needs to. The actual memory being used at any one time will bounce up and down rapidly, so when you said it is only using 400Mb, I think everyone here thought you meant your settings because it doesn't actually make sense otherwise.

Could you perhaps explain what you are experiencing a bit more then so we can try to help you out? Maybe a screen shot of your debug screen or something.

the process task manager bar. When i play TFC for some reason NOW Java is using substantially LESS memory than the 1,300,000K it used to use

... you should be happy that its not consuming ram :blink:

... you should be happy that its not consuming ram :blink:

the process task manager bar. When i play TFC for some reason NOW Java is using substantially LESS memory than the 1,300,000K it used to use

Yep pretty much... I mean, that doesn't really say anything at all. The task manager is a giant pile of crap and useless at measuring java memory usage. You can't really use it as an indicator of anything (except the complete opposite situation - it can aid in identifying something that is running your memory out). If anything I'd say that 1.3Gb was the problem. 400Mb is a whole lot more normal for an average value on most decent machines.