Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Guest Blue_Beluga

More Death Penalties

32 posts in this topic

We now have a semi-working death penalty system. I've been thinking of a way to flesh it out a bit and i'd like to share it with you guys.

The main idea is when you 'die' it will tell you what injuries you sustained. You may have up to three injuries after death.

It will give you an explanation of the injury, and a debuff when you respawn.

General Penalties

You broke your ankle - Slowness 0:30 - 1:30

You injured your leg - Slowness 1:00 - 3:00

Your wrist is fractured - Mining Fatigue 0:30 - 1:30

Your arm is limp - Mining Fatigue 1:00 - 3:00

Your arm is fractured - Weakness 2:00 - 5:00

You suffered a knock to the head - Nausea 0:20 - 1:00

You are bleeding - Periodic Damage 1:00 - 2:00

You are bleeding profusely - Periodic Damage 2:00 - 4:00

There could also be enemy/hazard specific penalties, depending on what exactly killed you,

Zombie Penalties

You were bitten by a zombie - Hunger 1:00 - 3:00

You were bitten by a zombie in the leg - Hunger 1:00 - 3:00 / Slowness 0:30 - 1:30

You were bitten by a zombie in the arm - Hunger 1:00 - 3:00 / Mining Fatigue 1:00 - 3:00

You were bitten by a zombie in the shoulder - Hunger 1:00 - 3:00 / Weakness 2:00 - 5:00

You were bitten by a rabid zombie - Hunger 1:00 - 3:00 / Nausea 0:20 - 1:00

Spider / Cave Spider Penalties

You are ill from a spider bite - Poison 0:30 - 1:30

You are ill from spider venom - Poison 1:00 - 3:00

Creeper Penalties

You broke your ankle in the explosion - Slowness 0:30 - 1:30

You injured your leg in the explosion - Slowness 1:00 - 3:00

Your wrist was fractured in the explosion - Mining Fatigue 0:30 - 1:30

Your arm is limp from the explosion - Mining Fatigue 1:00 - 3:00

Your arm was fractured in the explosion - Weakness 2:00 - 5:00

Skeleton Penalties

You were shot in the leg - Slowness 0:30 - 1:30

Your were shot in the wrist - Mining Fatigue 0:30 - 1:30

Your were shot in the arm - Weakness 2:00 - 5:00

You were shot in the head - Nausea 0:20 - 1:00

You were shot in the eye - Blindness 1:00 - 3:00

Fire/Lava Penalties

You have first degree burns - Periodic Damage 1:00 - 2:00 / Weakness 0:30 - 1:00 / Mining Fatigue 0:30 - 1:00

You have second degree burns - Periodic Damage 2:00 - 3:00 / Weakness 1:00 - 1:30 / Mining Fatigue 1:00 - 1:30

You have third degree burns - Periodic Damage 3:00 - 4:00 / Weakness 1:30 - 2:00 / Mining Fatigue 1:30 - 2:00/ Slowness 1:00

You have fourth degree burns - Periodic Damage 4:00 - 5:00 / Weakness 2:00 - 2:30 / Mining Fatigue 2:00 - 2:30/ Slowness 2:00

Falling Penalties

You injured your leg in the fall - Slowness 3:00 - 5:00

Your wrist was fractured from the fall - Mining Fatigue 3:30 - 5:30

Your arm is limp from the fall - Mining Fatigue 3:00 - 5:00

Your arm was fractured in the fall - Weakness 6:00 - 8:00

You suffered a knock to the head in the fall - Nausea 0:30 - 1:10

I'm sure the system could be fleshed out even more, but these are just some suggestions. If you've got any ideas i'd love to hear them. Implementing more of this is a great detterent of dying, and brings rise to some new opportunities in the way of medicine and such.

Thanks for reading! Tell me what you think and feel free to give your two cents in the comments!

We now have a semi-working death penalty system. I've been thinking of a way to flesh it out a bit and i'd like to share it with you guys.

The main idea is when you 'die' it will tell you what injuries you sustained. You may have up to three injuries after death.

It will give you an explanation of the injury, and a debuff when you respawn.

General Penalties

You broke your ankle - Slowness 0:30 - 1:30

You injured your leg - Slowness 1:00 - 3:00

Your wrist is fractured - Mining Fatigue 0:30 - 1:30

Your arm is limp - Mining Fatigue 1:00 - 3:00

Your arm is fractured - Weakness 2:00 - 5:00

You suffered a knock to the head - Nausea 0:20 - 1:00

You are bleeding - Periodic Damage 1:00 - 2:00

You are bleeding profusely - Periodic Damage 2:00 - 4:00

There could also be enemy/hazard specific penalties, depending on what exactly killed you,

Zombie Penalties

You were bitten by a zombie - Hunger 1:00 - 3:00

You were bitten by a zombie in the leg - Hunger 1:00 - 3:00 / Slowness 0:30 - 1:30

You were bitten by a zombie in the arm - Hunger 1:00 - 3:00 / Mining Fatigue 1:00 - 3:00

You were bitten by a zombie in the shoulder - Hunger 1:00 - 3:00 / Weakness 2:00 - 5:00

You were bitten by a rabid zombie - Hunger 1:00 - 3:00 / Nausea 0:20 - 1:00

Spider / Cave Spider Penalties

You are ill from a spider bite - Poison 0:30 - 1:30

You are ill from spider venom - Poison 1:00 - 3:00

Creeper Penalties

You broke your ankle in the explosion - Slowness 0:30 - 1:30

You injured your leg in the explosion - Slowness 1:00 - 3:00

Your wrist was fractured in the explosion - Mining Fatigue 0:30 - 1:30

Your arm is limp from the explosion - Mining Fatigue 1:00 - 3:00

Your arm was fractured in the explosion - Weakness 2:00 - 5:00

Skeleton Penalties

You were shot in the leg - Slowness 0:30 - 1:30

Your were shot in the wrist - Mining Fatigue 0:30 - 1:30

Your were shot in the arm - Weakness 2:00 - 5:00

You were shot in the head - Nausea 0:20 - 1:00

You were shot in the eye - Blindness 1:00 - 3:00

Fire/Lava Penalties

You have first degree burns - Periodic Damage 1:00 - 2:00 / Weakness 0:30 - 1:00 / Mining Fatigue 0:30 - 1:00

You have second degree burns - Periodic Damage 2:00 - 3:00 / Weakness 1:00 - 1:30 / Mining Fatigue 1:00 - 1:30

You have third degree burns - Periodic Damage 3:00 - 4:00 / Weakness 1:30 - 2:00 / Mining Fatigue 1:30 - 2:00/ Slowness 1:00

You have fourth degree burns - Periodic Damage 4:00 - 5:00 / Weakness 2:00 - 2:30 / Mining Fatigue 2:00 - 2:30/ Slowness 2:00

Falling Penalties

You injured your leg in the fall - Slowness 3:00 - 5:00

Your wrist was fractured from the fall - Mining Fatigue 3:30 - 5:30

Your arm is limp from the fall - Mining Fatigue 3:00 - 5:00

Your arm was fractured in the fall - Weakness 6:00 - 8:00

You suffered a knock to the head in the fall - Nausea 0:30 - 1:10

I'm sure the system could be fleshed out even more, but these are just some suggestions. If you've got any ideas i'd love to hear them. Implementing more of this is a great detterent of dying, and brings rise to some new opportunities in the way of medicine and such.

Thanks for reading! Tell me what you think and feel free to give your two cents in the comments!

There is a Death Penalty Thread, Mister Blue_Beluga. It is required by Forum Law to research your idea on the Forums to see if anyone already attempted the suggestion. You should post your idea there lest it is already discussed. Quite an interesting thread, though.

Also...

Welcome to the TerraFirmaCraft Forums, Mister Blue_Beluga!

-Sda209

I'm not... completely sure about this, quite honestly... firstly, 'cause i don't know if the developer team is even taking more suggestions for the death penalties. So basically posting here could be completely pointless...

But yes, i do have something to say about the idea, even if it won't be used. There is a problem with the periodic damage debuffs, that being that they can actually kill you, as half of your health is taken from you when you die. It's not poison i'm talking about, but fire/lava penalties and bleeding penalties. While dying out of that realistically represents what would probably happen in real life, were you in the wilderness in such a situation, i think it's not a good idea from gameplay perspective, as that means when dying you have a chance of dying again due to the penalties; Say, you fell into lava, so you die and respawn with periodic damage due to a 4th degree burn, which kills you again, 'causing you to respawn, this time, with profuse bleeding, which kills you again. And being VERY unlucky, it can go on.

If this was to be added to TFC, then, it should be made so you either can't die directly due to this penalty (even though they leave you weak enough anything else will do the job easily), or two killing penalties can't occur one behind each other (so this 4th degree burn->profuse bleeding thing won't happen).

(Oh, and Sda, he isn't new, he just haven't posted in the forums in a good while...)

EDIT: OR FIX IT TO THE DIFFICULTY! :D

Peaceful: Most penalties won't be applied (can't combo-die)

Easy: Some of the worse won't be applied (can't combo-die)

Normal: All of them can occur (small combo-deaths can occur, not that common...)

Hard: Only the worse ones will be applied (C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO-DEATHS EVERYWHERE!)

And make it so you can only change the difficulty of your world when creating it, and the option in the menu won't change it. Once you setted a world on Hard, it's hard until you eliminate it.

Welcome to the TerraFirmaCraft Forums, Mister Blue_Beluga!

-Sda209

You're kidding, true?

(Oh, and Sda, he isn't new, he just haven't posted in the forums in a good while...)

In the US, Eastern Standard Time, I sleep quite early Monday-Friday due to schooling. But on Saturady and Sunday, it is different.

You're kidding, true?

Err... I haven't a clue about what are you trying to speak of, Mister TheWolf277.

Err... I haven't a clue about what are you trying to speak of, Mister TheWolf277.

There's nothing bad in giving a welcome, but Blue is here from a lot of time...a bit late

I am fully aware there is a death penalty megathread, i'm just always worried my ideas will be buried under a pile of useless comments... I normally DO reply but this seemed a bit too long, but that's just me :D And Sda cheers for the welcome even if it is a bit late!

I am fully aware there is a death penalty megathread, i'm just always worried my ideas will be buried under a pile of useless comments... I normally DO reply but this seemed a bit too long, but that's just me :D And Sda cheers for the welcome even if it is a bit late!

Ok, from now I will officially defend this topic with my own life. No, maybe with some of my time. However I will defend this.

There's nothing bad in giving a welcome, but Blue is here from a lot of time...a bit late

Ohh! So Mister Blue_Beluga has been in the Forums for quite a while?

Thank you for the cheers!

Ok, from now I will officially defend this topic with my own life. No, maybe with some of my time. However I will defend this.

UNLEASH THE WOLVES ON THOSE WHO DARE TO ATTACK THIS THREAD!

UNLEASH THE WOLVES ON THOSE WHO DARE TO ATTACK THIS THREAD!

And they're hungry...they don't eat since 3 days...but this is the last useless post, from now everyone posting could be eaten...

Yoh everyone, look over here

http://terrafirmacra...edicine-system/

theres a whole topic on this stuff already

This topic was not about medicine or new gui's or anything of the sort, I focused solely on negative death effects. I already explained why I didn't put it in the megathread. If I said all the suggestions on mining were the same as another, I would be laughed off the forums. However, the thread you linked was pretty interesting and I like most of the thing's Devlin brought up.

I've already explained my problems with this in the Death Penalty thread, but basically, it's useless to annoyance rather than a challenge.

I feel the same way about the slowness debuff honestly, the time's short enough that it's literally no debuff, you'll consume it just running around your base getting resupplied before it would ever effect you. In the end it's a couple seconds at most of the debuff in the wild, with the damage ones it could possibly rekill you, at which point you may as well have just had a respawn timer UNLESS you had a medicine system in place to fix these problems.

Basically I only support this idea if the debuffs last long enough that you'd even notice them. And in my opinion(beyond the periodic damage) you could make them permanent, and require splints, medicines, etc... to fix the problem.

or make their timers MUCH longer than 5 or so minutes at the very least..

Instead of the periodic damage however I think a good option would be a capped health level, that way it's not just a slow death countdown.

I know of this problem. What I think, renadi, is that there should be new effects, not just the vanilla ones like slowness or the periodic damage. There should be something like:

-Amnesia: You can't craft for a bit because you have headdache and you can't remember the recipes.

-Arm hurting: You can't attack for a bit because when you died, you fell and you hurted your arm.

-Derpiness: You can't use well your tools for a bit, then their durability consumption multiplies for a bit.

There can be other cool effects...

Eh, I'm against taking any options completely away from a player, make it difficult, but at least give the player options to defend themselves.

Basically if your debuff encourages your player to not play the game(walk away, go get a snack, take a nap) you've probably done something wrong.

Eh, I'm against taking any options completely away from a player, make it difficult, but at least give the player options to defend themselves.

Basically if your debuff encourages your player to not play the game(walk away, go get a snack, take a nap) you've probably done something wrong.

It's difficult to figure out because then this means no death penalities. Where do you want to arrive with this? I am just curious. Maybe some prizes if you don't die?

No, just don't give penalties that leave the only option the player has be to stop playing.

If you can't fight, or craft, or mine, there's nothing you can do other than admire the scenery, any of the vanilla debuffs still allow you to play, they can be severe and make it HARD but not impossible, if you make it impossible to do anything worthwhile just give them a deathban time out and it'll serve the same purpose.

No, just don't give penalties that leave the only option the player has be to stop playing.

If you can't fight, or craft, or mine, there's nothing you can do other than admire the scenery, any of the vanilla debuffs still allow you to play, they can be severe and make it HARD but not impossible, if you make it impossible to do anything worthwhile just give them a deathban time out and it'll serve the same purpose.

Yeah, true, then any idea? What could you implement? Now I don't know what I can suggest now...

I think most of the OPs ideas if permanent or lasting at least 20 minutes would be good, along with a medicine/healing system to recover.

They'd still be a negative but not enough that you'd want to stop playing.

I've done a lot of following the death penalty thread, my ideas on this is pretty full formed, but I'm feeling they aren't incredibly popular.

I think most of the OPs ideas if permanent or lasting at least 20 minutes would be good, along with a medicine/healing system to recover.

Medicines to reduce the time left? Yeah, seems legit.

Basically, yeah, you'd come back and have to use medicines(specific to injury type) which would give you a lesser debuff for a much lesser period of time, some of them like lowered health cap might vanish immediately but leave you with the same health you'd had meaning you'd still have to heal up one way or another.

Also, ideally, these debuffs would persist after death, likely stacking upon eachother.

At the beginning of the game you'd likely die, often(hopefully)

So instead of the current system of just gaining health by leveling up you'd start with a max health, dying and taking slight debuffs until you can get medicines/tools to heal you resulting in you getting more health the longer you play just like now, but working at it backwards.

If the debuffs don't stack you'll actually give players a reason to off themselves to remove one debuff they don't like for one they do

[!]Unrealistic Dreaming Ahead[!]

Also, in my mind, ideally beds aren't respawn points but some magical obelisk is. The world starts with a certain number of them(configurable) and they serve as the spawn points, When you start the game you start near one(at random) and when you die you get sent to one of the nearest 2 or 3(depending on range but still slightly random, at first at least, maybe an item eventually will give you more choice).

They'd be craftable(with MAGIC!!!) but exceedingly expensive most likely.

Also the craftable ones would have variable ranges, also, they would be setable to only allow allies to respawn in that location as well as an option to personally bind to it increasing it's effective range for you. These craftable ones would likely need energy to function(I think using exp would work now) and each revival would cost the tower encouraging group play to make up for losses.

Good, renadi, good. But where can we get these medicines from? Maybe new plants? Of course this will come later...

Obviously, we'd have plants, biome dependent, with certain properties, ideally we'd have it like the old preview vanilla potion where individual ingredients would have a tendency to produce X effect, or modify Y but combining them enhances, removes, or changes completely the behaviours of the finished result(also, ideally this is based on seed). This allows for a system in which experimentation can give unexpectedly good results(and extremely negative results are also good results, poisons!).

Honestly, it could be managed like the current meal system, at the meal prep table(or something almost identical) you'd add your ingredients and with a stone bowl(basically mortar and pestle) you'd mix up powders or poultices, to make potions you'd then brew these, or you'd apply them to bandages to treat wounds.

You could even have it behave identically to the meal system, adding in some of these ingredients with pork for example might add or modify the effect, but combine it into a meal. You could add poisons into this to make a meal that will make whoever eats it sick, or resistence/damage buffs in all of your soldiers foods to keep them always in tip top shape.

Damn you're giving us too many good suggestions and well written!

How I invisage medicines working,

You take 1 to 4 plants / medicinal reagents

Dandelion = Regen - 0:25

Catclaw Acacia = Speed - 1:15

Mashed Carrot = Strength - 0:50

Dandelion + Mashed Carrot = Strength - 1:10 / Regen - 0:40

Dandelion + Mashed Carrot + Catclaw Acacia = Regen - 0:50 / Strength - 1:25 / Speed - 1:40

Unlike meals it would not require four reagents, but can contain four reagents

Each medicinal reagent in the world would contain a buff, debuff or a debuff 'helper'

Buffs add positive effects to you

De-buffs add negative effects to you

Debuff helper's remove time from negative effects

It is completely random what a reagent could contain based on the seed.

For this reason it is possible (although very unlikely) to encounter a seed in which there are no reagents with the buff/debuff/debuff helper you want.

However when mixing reagents new buffs/debuffs/debuff helpers may be added to the original two, making it near impossible to never be able to get the medicine you want.

Buffs/Debuffs/Debuff helpers will be more powerful depending on how many reagents are mixed, making mixing more worthwhile.

When you have finished mixing, you can put it into one of three containers each with bonuses,

Meal/Food item: Adds the effects and replenishes hunger

Bottle of water: Adds the effects and replenishes thirst

Bowl: Adds the effects and replenishes health