Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
yosomith

Axes vs Saws

31 posts in this topic

Just out of curiosity is making a metal axe even worth it?

I can't seem to see any reason for it as the saw seems to do everything an axe does only better and faster.

What are peoples thoughts about this?

Also Sword or Mace, which do you choose?

I choose sword, but I rarely craft a mace just for fun. Also I prefer the saws, but wearing an axe makes you look like a lumberjack.

Teh saw is a little better in the sense it can make more planks out of a log, and you can only can make support beams with a saw. But it isn't faster when breaking blocks than the metal axe of the same metal, neither can break more blocks... from what i know ._.

And i personally choose both :P when my sword is broken i use the mace and when that's broken i use the sword. Just for variety and practice in mettalurgy, really.

Teh saw is a little better in the sense it can make more planks out of a log, and you can only can make support beams with a saw. But it isn't faster when breaking blocks than the metal axe of the same metal, neither can break more blocks... from what i know ._.

And i personally choose both :P when my sword is broken i use the mace and when that's broken i use the sword. Just for variety and practice in mettalurgy, really.

Are you sure? I coulda swore I tested this out: whether breaking a plank block was faster with a saw or axe. For me, it seemed the saw broke them down quicker. The only thing it couldn't do better was chop a tree down, you want an axe for that. And a saw makes more planks out of a log?? I did not know that...

The only thing it couldn't do better was chop a tree down...

Good, then I will use the axe only to chop down trees. It will be the woodcutter tool.

Are you sure? I coulda swore I tested this out: whether breaking a plank block was faster with a saw or axe. For me, it seemed the saw broke them down quicker. The only thing it couldn't do better was chop a tree down, you want an axe for that. And a saw makes more planks out of a log?? I did not know that...

a log and an axe=3 planks.

a log and a saw=8 planks.

And i will keep making the saw instead of an axe regardless... pros outweight cons :P

Ok I have just done some testing with cutting down trees with a tin axe and tin saw, I can tell you for certain the saw is faster.

Unless durability comes into it (which I don't think it does) the saw clocks in at around 2 secs faster then the axe.

It's not much I know but to me it seems little reason to make an axe.

Well... maybe, in combat, the axe makes more damage than the saw?... maybe? ._.

Well... maybe, in combat, the axe makes more damage than the saw?... maybe? ._.

Unless it's a CHAINSAW!!!!!!!!!!!

But I don't have any idea either...that just popped into my head. ^^

Make maces deal blunt damage and ignore armour below its metal tier and then I might use one. Sword FTW!

I wouldn't advise chopping down trees with any tool other than a stone axe. Since each log block in the tree takes durability from the tool, It's an enormous waste to use a metal tool.

Make maces deal blunt damage and ignore armour below its metal tier and then I might use one. Sword FTW!

so you're asking us to have two tools with the exact same cost but one is much better? Wheres the balance in that...?

Basically, metal axes are kind of a waste of an ingot, for now.

I'd like to add something about the sword vs mace thing.

Is it possible to make different mobs take damage independently, based on types of weapons? Skeletons and spiders take more damage from the mace, while creepers and enderman take more from the sword.

All other mobs take damage equally from both.

Just my 2 cents. i don't know anything about coding and whatnot, so i don't know what is possible. If this is already on the table please excuse my ignorance.

Stone axes are fine to use at the start, but when you get access to metal they go so much faster.

I think unless stone axes get a speed increase I'll stick to wasting my metal on saws lol.

As for the mace/sword thing, could maybe give them special abilities or something?

Like Smite enchant for maces and Sharpness enchant for swords maybe?

Oh and for axes generally, they need some kind of thing so that saws are not just plain better.

Maybe a faster speed vs logs or less durability damage taken or something.

I will always choose maces simply because I'm fond of the cleric character from D&D.

8 planks!? Woo wee! I did not know that. That's fantastic.

I don't see how they could make the axe worse at everything: that would mean it would be obsolete once you found metal. But as Dunk said, if your tools are going to take durability for every log that falls anyway, it must be more efficient to make a bunch of stone axes to do that work. Yes, it might seem monotonous to make them, but the amount of time it takes to heat up ore, work to ingot, shape to axe head is probably more than knapping a few rocks together, plus you can use that ore for something more useful.

As for the sword vs mace, maces should be much slower, deal slightly more damage, and have knockback.

8 planks!? Woo wee! I did not know that. That's fantastic.

I don't see how they could make the axe worse at everything: that would mean it would be obsolete once you found metal. But as Dunk said, if your tools are going to take durability for every log that falls anyway, it must be more efficient to make a bunch of stone axes to do that work. Yes, it might seem monotonous to make them, but the amount of time it takes to heat up ore, work to ingot, shape to axe head is probably more than knapping a few rocks together, plus you can use that ore for something more useful.

Do the maths and you will think otherwise. Or better yet, just test it and see. Craft 2 tier0 metal saws and you will replace like 20 stone axes or more. So yes, as of right now, metal axes are far better even in tier0 metals. Stone axes are wasted pretty quicky and it takes ages to chop a tree down with them

I wouldn't advise chopping down trees with any tool other than a stone axe. Since each log block in the tree takes durability from the tool, It's an enormous waste to use a metal tool.

Well, actually your efficiency ratio seems to top out on bronze. You have to take into account some averages - especially tree size - but if you have a decent supply of copper and tin you are way better off making a few bronze saws. Even with smelting time, it's an order of magnitude more efficient. Stone is way down there unless you're short on metal. The time it takes to smelt metals is outweighed considerably. Of course all of this depends heavily on how efficient you are at finding metal, but I have to say that for myself I can usually find and mine entire ore veins out before gathering enough wood to make a single 5x5x3 charcoal pit with a stone axe. Maybe I just suck at knapping though? I don't suck at napping though...

But I think the real question is... what are people using all that wood for? o.O

And charcoal, I can't seem to get enough of the stuff.

That's a big wood building. :)

Really? I don't really find I've ever had a problem... a couple 5x5x3s and by that point you're at steel. Seems to be the way of things anyway.

I still don't understand; Dunk is saying one thing, people are giving examples otherwise. Last I checked the only way you use up an entire stone axe is when you chop down a mega tree like kapok or sequoia. Is the durability you lose on your saw that menial that you'd rather use it's durability up? I would think that would be better used to cut planks/etc. Unless the saw cuts down twice as fast, which I didn't think was true. People say it takes forever to cut down a tree with an axe; when I tested between the two (saw and axe) I coulda swore they were a lot closer in time than that would suggest. But again I have no evidence (OR NUMBERS!) so I'm just going off of what I remember to be true.

Of course, I have been wrong before! And it won't be the last!

When they say it's really slow, they are talking about the STONE axe ._.

Whatever, my only advice is: if you don't get it, don't even bother, you probably won't get it later :

Oh hmm. I might be a dummy. Maybe I was using a metal axe... That would make sense. As you can see my brain doesn't always work as intended. Might explain this sinus headache...

I have no problem using a stone axe for a sequoia or a kapok as I wouldn't waste the steel on a saw for that job but just about any other tree I'd go my saw any day.