Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
halfmaster1

Dynamic Inventory Size [Better Wall of Text]

122 posts in this topic

I still would prefer there being objects in the world that we physically can't fit in our inventory, I'd prefer logs actually falling and having to be cut up and/or drug around, but given that I have no expectation of this I think your idea covers most of the rest of the systems I approve of. Reminds me of the system used in Steve's Carts mod in a way, you've got a max limit and an individual limit.

Doesn't weight affect how many items can stack in one inventory slot?

Yes.

I don't know if the number of slots in inventory should be dependant on weight of items, as it represents the volume the items

have, and already limits the number of items you can carry in one slot.

My idea was on the size of items, not weight. And weight...doesn't represent the volume of the items...size does.

So I am not prone towards the idea.

And about the seeds and stuff, you just have to live with it.

But how about some item-specific inventory items?

Like a "herablists" bag, in which you can carry many different seeds but no other item type?

I like the idea in practice, but it might turn into a Forestry thing, and in TFC, I don't really like it.

Are you talking to me or buchowski?

I still would prefer there being objects in the world that we physically can't fit in our inventory, I'd prefer logs actually falling and having to be cut up and/or drug around, but given that I have no expectation of this I think your idea covers most of the rest of the systems I approve of. Reminds me of the system used in Steve's Carts mod in a way, you've got a max limit and an individual limit.

Yes. This and animals and the butchering idea that has been discussed. Again, you are talking to me, right? Quotes really help this sort of thing.

Are you talking to me or buchowski?

You. Is there buczkowskis post that I am missing here? Because he posted last in the previous page.

And sorry, I read that wrong, because there were sizes, and other sizes and you mentioned reaching weight capacity and stuff.... :rolleyes:

But all in all, to be honest I don't really like the idea of a dynamic inventory size beyond expanding maximum inventory with backpack-like items.

Yes. This and animals and the butchering idea that has been discussed. Again, you are talking to me, right? Quotes really help this sort of thing.

YES YOU!

What in the world? We have literally moved backwards in ideas. This literally is what we had (minus the satchel) several months ago when Dunk said no that is Crysyn's.

I don't understand how this happens but I will fix it.

Please scroll to your ideas and read my response you don't have to read all of them just the ones that apply to you.

Tiered Bags

We don't want "level up!" style bags, I'm sure you have been at the forums long enough to now why. Simple mechanics like this discourage specialization and make the expansive mod we have suddenly very linear. Such a system as bags can evolve into something that separates people by what bags they use, how many they wear, and how they use them, allow extreme specialization in the following areas;speed, combat, organization, mining, surviving, building, destroying, baking, collecting, creating, living, dying, the list goes on and on.

Nine Slots Automatically

This one really rustled my jimmies, your argument was it would be a pain in the ass but we gave clear and easy reason why its that way and how to fix it. Think about the hotbar for a sec, what does it do, well it is easy access items, now tell me where the hell are you putting nine items so that they are easily accessible? Because as a caveman can only think of four places to put a sword, those being my two hands, in my mouth and up your a**. Sorry for the language and the anger here but this simply makes no sense.

Then you guys complained, oh well we couldn't play without items within easy reach. First off, man up, second off was this not a problem IRL? I mean seriously, what has human kind already invented for us? How about a sheath, now my trusty sword can rest by my side ready to be heroically drawn. Therefore an extra easy-access "slot" is added aka your hotbar gets bigger! How about pockets? How about quivers? They are all for easy access and therefore would add room on your hotbar.

Crafting Bags

Scribing table plans, plenty of options there plus it actually makes sense! Additionally see the tiered bags spoiler.

You would make the pieces in the scribing table+workbench and add metal buckles/buttons (more plans). If we really wanted we could add a sewing bench but I don't see it being necessary until we get the textile update.

halfmaster1 (Everyone read this!)

You are correct their system has fixed none the problems we came here to fix and could fix. This includes but is not limited to; it makes the spoilage system possible, fixes our seed stacking problem, allows for a simple addition of the encumbrance system, makes it so the size mechanic actually makes sense aka spread out items fills your inventory but can also fit in one slot, tools no longer have to make up more room then everything, forces organization of items aka inventory management, etc.

I don't understand why they feel the need to ignore those ideas at least now they won't be able to, once more excellent job.

Weight dependence for size of stack

Encumbrance system can now be easily added, so we have no more need for that mechanic.

Herbalist's Bag

Please I beg of you start asking for things that make sense you are really make my life difficult. Why the hell can't I put a rock in there? It's a fricking bag for God's sake. We put seeds in a little bag or pouch that way we are space efficient and organized. We can't go down that road otherwise we will end up with five hundred different pouches that all the same thing.

Items that don't fit in Inventory

I love this, if we could get a dragging system I'm sure Dunk and Bioxx will add that in a heartbeat.

Sorry for any rage or hard feelings but you guys literally ignored three months of ideas and I simply can't allow that to happen especially not halfmaster1's idea.

bsb23:

You are a true forum warrior. Thanks!

And people, remember this:

"The aim of TFC is to bring some much needed believability to Minecraft. This means that sometimes realism is compromised for the sake of gameplay whiel still trying to present a world that feels real."

- http://terrafirmacraft.com/faq/

I'm not sure how quoting the faq's is relevant here.

Oh, well then sorry. Excuse me for not realizing this was done 3 months earlier.

But really, this was far BEFORE i was here, and actively contibuting, so it isn't really my fault.

Err, lots of suggestions here forget that realism should be compromised for the sake of gameplay.

Nobody has suggested anything along those lines.

So far as I can see all suggestions were made in the interests of gameplay.

Yes Poutlet, what are you talking about?

Nvm, I get it now.

Oh, well then sorry. Excuse me for not realizing this was done 3 months earlier.

But really, this was far BEFORE i was here, and actively contibuting, so it isn't really my fault.

I was referring to the things I linked earlier in the thread and what we have already said, don't worry it just kind of startled me that you went backwards to what we had previously.

Sorry for any rage or hard feelings but you guys literally ignored three months of ideas and I simply can't allow that to happen especially not halfmaster1's idea.

Yes, because they are not very good ideas, that don't add much belivability and completly devastate gameplay.

Do you seriously want me to waste hours upon hours to do anything with just two hotbar slots, just because we have "two hands", which are really just two rectangles, in a world that is build of perfect 1m*1m blocks?

Hell. No.

And about Herbalists bag.

No, you can't put a rock in there because it has a lot of small compartments that hold seperate seeds not to mix them up, that a rock doesn't fit into. For example.

And it wouldn't be a real bag, just an idea to fix your unmanly seed stacking problem, by putting all the seeds in one slot in another bag.

Err, lots of suggestions here forget that realism should be compromised for the sake of gameplay.

This man speaks the truth.

Nobody has suggested anything along those lines.

So far as I can see all suggestions were made in the interests of gameplay.

What about limiting hotbar to two slots?

If that doesn't compromise gameplay then nothing does, and everything is allowed.

I mean: even if you find it stupid that 32 dirt blocks take as much space as 1 seed and you start a wall of text from there it is just the way Minecraft has always been. Different items take different slots (seeds are different between them!) and it is too much of a fundamental mechanic to change it directly. Like trying to change the core of a Pizza. No more cheese and pepperoni, now it's blueberry and sheep fur! (wtf?)

Here I could start a wall of text about the early game: I pick up rocks by hand but when I place the very same rock on the ground I get a huge block which can only be removed with the use of a pickaxe...

I do agree on a Diablo-like inventory system tho, it would be great!

I don't really see why you think that this ruins the gameplay. It would add a new aspect to it, and actually make a lot of things simpler.

I understand it might be impossible to code, and if it is, so be it, but I don't see why it would be so hard (Coming from someone who barely knows C)

Finally, umm... forgot my last point. I'll edit in in once I remember.

I support this idea, but others (not everyone) don't seem to do the same.

I like this because one time I played a game with this type of inventory and it was funny and it required you to think before filling your inventory because you needed to find the right position for every item before starting what you needed to do.

it's also funny because it's believable and in this way you see the size otf the item or block that you are bringing with you.

And you can have HD items and blocks in your inventory this way. They are bigger if they require more slots and this would be awesome.

And you can have HD items and blocks in your inventory this way. They are bigger if they require more slots and this would be awesome.

HD items and blocks? What? Please clarify...lol.

Maybe he's using a texture pack that makes certain items have HD textures? ._.

If a block requires more than 1 slot, maybe a 2x2 slot or 3x3, its texture must be larger, then it must contain more pixels and this can allow the devs to draw some more details on the block. This is applied only when the block is in your inventory, not when it's out. Explained?

Maybe he's using a texture pack that makes certain items have HD textures? ._.

Well, I doubt that is it, because if you had an HD texture pack, ALL items would be HD...It wouldn't really be a special criterial or anything. Maybe like more than 64 items per stack...idk. But if it is that, I am pretty sure Bioxx said that wont be happening because of Minecraft limitations.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ok. :) Thanks.

Yes, because they are not very good ideas, that don't add much belivability and completly devastate gameplay.

Do you seriously want me to waste hours upon hours to do anything with just two hotbar slots, just because we have "two hands", which are really just two rectangles, in a world that is build of perfect 1m*1m blocks?

Hell. No.

And about Herbalists bag.

No, you can't put a rock in there because it has a lot of small compartments that hold seperate seeds not to mix them up, that a rock doesn't fit into. For example.

And it wouldn't be a real bag, just an idea to fix your unmanly seed stacking problem, by putting all the seeds in one slot in another bag.

This man speaks the truth.

What about limiting hotbar to two slots?

If that doesn't compromise gameplay then nothing does, and everything is allowed.

Are you incapable of reading? Now I am mad, what the hell go back and read.

You know what, no you have proved yourself incapable so I will bold, capitalize, and Underline this just for your poor eyesight. THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT WILL HAVE TWO SLOTS ARE NEWLY SPAWNED, RECENTLY DEAD, AND DUMBASSES. If you want more slots, then build them, it really isn't that difficult. This literally fixes a huge amount of problems. It makes sense but is still usable if you put effort, that is the way TFC has always been. It gives more death penalties as well, and it aids specialization. Now that you may have read that, fight back with an argument that isn't "Sorry, I only play as a dumbass and could never understand how to fix that." I'm all ears if your problem isn't something I have addressed five times already.

As for the seed bag thing, you need to drop that, our system is not only more believable but it also adds gameplay value. Unmanly huh, the only thing unmanly here is cowering from fixing things and instead taking the easy shortcut and adding a "seed bag". In case you forgot this is TFC, where something difficult is manly. We have sacrificed no gameplay, in fact we have driven our game further from this random, "what the hell is this" feel from vanilla and its surrounding mods. That is what gameplay is, we make it better to play our game, more connectable.

Edit: I like it Wolf, are you referring to that as an expansion of the tetris inventory or of halfmasters space consuming inventory?

Going for insults really makes you look mature.

You won't listen to any kind of reason, so I would advise you to start a new world and use only two hotbar slots.

When you'll stop raging about how unplayable that is, and after you've consulted your psychatrist about your anger management issues, come back for your second attempt at being an adult.

I cant agre with starting with oly two slots. That is physically impossible with how the game operates. However, reducing the slots WOULD NOT HURT. Reducing it to 3-5 slots may in fact provide what we are looking for.

Lets look at TFC like this: It is not minecraft, anything from minecraft is to be ignored as being minecraft and we must look at this as if TFC were a separate game.

in that context alone we suddenly come to the realization that 'perhaps its a solid mechanic'

I like the idea of changing the inv and turning it into only a few slots you build on over time, just can not come to agree with starting with only two slots. at least three are needed: Torch, Harvesting tool(pick or axe) and a weapon

To make two slots inventory, for what ever period of time, you would have to change the entire game, and for that instead of moding you might as well make it from scratch.

The idea of having only the hotbar at the beggining without expanding the inventory with bags and what not, is already fairly limiting while not completly game breaking. Going for two slots is just ridiculous, and going for 5 is too much trouble for too little worth. Making it just the hotbar is effective and easy. It's the golden middle of entire discussion.

I disagree, I don't think it would be gamebreaking to change to 2-5 inventory slots, it would change how you play the game, but it would still function.

Of course with that I'm thinking that having to put items in chests to store them is pretty silly, one should be able to gather up materials and pile them up to use as needed.

I also really don't think at the beginning of the game you should always have a torch, harvesting tool and a weapon, eventually sure, but once you've got those survival is pretty established, at least, right now.