Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Warlord2150

NPCs?

NPCs?   31 members have voted

1. 1. NPCs?

• Vanilla (defensless, some can trade with gems)
    • Advanced (scriptable, guards, traders, resource gatherers, etc)
    • Followers (guards, similar to wolves)
    • Mindless (spawn near 'houses', wanders aimlessly nearby)
    • None of the above, but I have a better idea for npcs
    • No villagers ever, ever, ever!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

50 posts in this topic

Do NPCs belong/work with TFC?

You have interesting timing, we have been having an intense discussion about this very topic recently. Short answer, the Devs said no to NPCs a long time ago.

Also, put a little more detail into a suggestion topic next time, this is pitiful. Not trying to be mean, just saying that usually we like a little suggestion with our suggestion forum, if you catch my drift.

yes, I also added another option to your poll, so that it was clear :)

It'd be rather nice if you could maintain guards and shop keeper NPCs that would function while you were AFK, it would help maintain the economy in a world where people can just take whatever they want when you're not around.

Just use some system where you pay NPCs wages (in the form of currency) and they will work for you for a set amount of time. A guard will attack intruders while a shopkeeper will act like a vanilla villager, trading goods with people.

I wouldn't expect anything terribly advanced, here. Just enough to allow people to have a presence in the world, in the form of 'employees' with minimalistic combat/trade AI, to guard and run shops/homes that are supplied/owned by the player.

Edit: Eh, 'no a long time ago' doesn't mean 'never.' =) No harm in talking about it. But it's good to know where the devs stand on it.

While I appreciate the input dunk, trolling a legit inquiry is somewhat lame. I want to see what the general consensus is, thank you very much.

While I appreciate the input dunk, trolling a legit inquiry is somewhat lame. I want to see what the general consensus is, thank you very much.

If you had looked down a few inches you would see a thread on this exact topic, its been active all day. Perhaps I wasn't clear the first time, search before you post to see if this has been suggested before, or else bad things will happen. PLEASE, lurk moar.

The general consensus can be found there, and the devs thoughts as well. Dunk isn't trolling, and this isn't a legit inquiry, it is a blatant disregard of what is happening at this very moment.

Here's the link: http://terrafirmacra...led-characters/

Edit: Eh, 'no a long time ago' doesn't mean 'never.' =) No harm in talking about it. But it's good to know where the devs stand on it.

You must be new here. The Devs (mainly, Bioxx calls the shots) are the people that make the mod, so in effect they decide what is happening and what isn't. They have said many times it isn't happening. So, while you can say no harm talking about it, you are wasting time and effort talking about it, because it isn't going to happen. In this case, it does mean never.

Actually, it was directed at that very topic that seems to be garnishing so much interest. There seem to be a lot of people with differing opinions on what npcs should or should not be, and I wonder how many fall into each category. But thank you for showing your lack of support :)

Support, or no, the question is moot.

NPCs will not be added.

Period.

I dont care if they are added. I want to know what people want as a whole. There are several mods that can be used to add them to the game. I just want to see how many people want what.

But thank you for showing your lack of support :)

Let me show mine. As i really don't give a f+ck about NPCs, I will stick to devs decision.

But you knwo what? i like the fact that you posted this. ExplosionGuy, if you are reading this, let's see how this poll ends; if most of the users in fact do vote for NPCs, i won't bug you any more when you say things like "The majority of the players want NPC's.".

Actually, it was directed at that very topic that seems to be garnishing so much interest. There seem to be a lot of people with differing opinions on what npcs should or should not be, and I wonder how many fall into each category. But thank you for showing your lack of support :)

Anytime :)

But, if you payed attention, it would quickly become clear that the community has almost no say in this things. We put out the ideas and discuss among ourselves until an answer is given or the thread dies. The resulting decision is very final in almost all cases, so this poll is rather useless and won't do much to change anything, regardless of the outcome.

In this case I like the dev's decision, I don't think NPCs belong in TFC at all. But there have been cases where I have disagreed, but I still adamantly support Bioxx and Dunk's decision despite my personal disaproval because it is THEIR mod, not mine. If I want to make things exactly how I want them I'll have to learn java and make my own mod, they aren't around to make TFC to how others want it, they are doing this for their own enjoyment and for making a mod that they want to play. And if that mod doesn't include NPCs in their mind, it doesn't include NPCs.

EDIT: ninja'd -_-

But this isnt about changing things. If Bioxx chooses to add npcs, great. If not, oh well. Its just for information's sake in regard to the other polls involving this topic. Frankly, I dont care about anyone's personal reasons for liking or disliking this topic. Just vote yes or no and get on with your day.

legit inquiry? Why don't you get off your high and mighty ass for a sec. Do you know what kind of trouble questions like this give us? new forum members see stuff like this and we get a bunch of new suggestions for NPCs, how they can be added and why we should add them. Threads like this tell the community that discussing it is ok, which it isn't. I'm just trying to make sure people know that they will not be happening. Next time you feel like being a dick, don't do it to forum mods or game devs.

But this isnt about changing things. If Bioxx chooses to add npcs, great. If not, oh well. Its just for information's sake in regard to the other polls involving this topic. Frankly, I dont care about anyone's personal reasons for liking or disliking this topic. Just vote yes or no and get on with your day.

Then what is the point? This isn't the Census Bureau, this information will go to absolutely no use, ever.

legit inquiry? Why don't you get off your high and mighty ass for a sec. Do you know what kind of trouble questions like this give us? new forum members see stuff like this and we get a bunch of new suggestions for NPCs, how they can be added and why we should add them. Threads like this tell the community that discussing it is ok, which it isn't. I'm just trying to make sure people know that they will not be happening. Next time you feel like being a dick, don't do it to forum mods or game devs.

*claps* Well said Dunk, well said.

Well, this place is more hostile than I expected.

If you want to make it clear that NPCs will never, ever, ever be a part of this mod, there are better ways to do so rather than editing polls and getting defensive over someone's harmless poll.

If there is a demand for NPCs that this mod will never address, then that might be a reason for someone to find ways to combine this mod with one that does what they would like. I really like this mod a lot, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum. Pretending otherwise isn't a great way to encourage a community.

If vanilla minecraft forum devs got defensive every time someone made a thread about stuff they had no intention of implementing, mods like this wouldn't exist.

I have a suggestion actually: Why don't you create a subforum specifically for threads of this nature. Call it 'Rejected Suggestions' or something that you can move threads like this to. And then you can peacefully ignore it while the community can continue to discuss whatever they want and by the nature of the subforum it would leave no room for doubt about your position.

Well, this place is more hostile than I expected.

If you want to make it clear that NPCs will never, ever, ever be a part of this mod, there are better ways to do so rather than editing polls and getting defensive over someone's harmless poll.

If there is a demand for NPCs that this mod will never address, then that might be a reason for someone to find ways to combine this mod with one that does what they would like. I really like this mod a lot, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum. Pretending otherwise isn't a great way to encourage a community.

If vanilla minecraft forum devs got defensive every time someone made a thread about stuff they had no intention of implementing, mods like this wouldn't exist.

I have a suggestion actually: Why don't you create a subforum specifically for threads of this nature. Call it 'Rejected Suggestions' or something that you can move threads like this to. And then you can peacefully ignore it while the community can continue to discuss whatever they want and by the nature of the subforum it would leave no room for doubt about your position.

harmless poll.

Did you see the part where I mentioned the trouble this poll will cause me?

When you're the only active forum mod on a forum of nearly 2000 people and have to deal with every question and suggestion personally, I'd like to see how long you can handle the same undying question after you had explicitly and publicly answered it.

I'm not in your shoes, and so I can't imagine what impact it would have if there were a bunch of newbies who got it into their heads that NPCs might be a thing.

However, generally speaking, if a lot of people are going 'Oh wow, wouldn't NPC's be awesome?! Here's what we could do with them...!' Doesn't, y'know, actually have an effect on development. Maybe you consider it a hassle, but reality is reality. People wanting something doesn't make your job harder unless you feel compelled to give in to those demands.

Hey, I don't have an issue with a dev making a quick 'Sorry guys, we decided against this' on a forum post. But calling people dicks for even daring to start a poll is excessive.

I was actually part of a mod community where the developers had a specific subforum for rejected suggestions (as well as rejected bug reports) where they would move threads that fit the criteria. It seemed to work well for them. People could continue to talk about it, but there were no illusions about the likelihood of that suggestion being implemented. It also saved the devs time arguing with people in threads. It's a lot easier to move a thread than to respond repeatedly with the same 'sorry guys but no' script.

*Happily votes on poll :D

*Scrolls down, sees Dunk :o

*Delete :ph34r:

I was never here...

When you're the only active forum mod on a forum of nearly 2000 people and have to deal with every question and suggestion personally, I'd like to see how long you can handle the same undying question after you had explicitly and publicly answered it.

Not about NPCs, but why wont you find someone to help out?

I think is wiser and easier to just close a NPC post on sight, THAT message will be clear

Isnt this forum about suggestions? Just because you dont like the suggestion, doesnt mean it will never be implemented. Having community input is helpful to any form of development. Even if you dont ever plan to put something in to TFC shouldnt invalidate a discussion.

Isnt this forum about suggestions? Just because you dont like the suggestion, doesnt mean it will never be implemented. Having community input is helpful to any form of development. Even if you dont ever plan to put something in to TFC shouldnt invalidate a discussion.

It gets people's hopes up. We get a bunch of questions like "You were going to implement NPCs, right? When are those comnig in? I saw the forum topic on 'em and I've been waiting for ever. Hurry up."

It gets people's hopes up. We get a bunch of questions like "You were going to implement NPCs, right? When are those comnig in? I saw the forum topic on 'em and I've been waiting for ever. Hurry up."

So notate the topic title. Make it clear in a sticky. Make a subpage under downloads showing 'planned features' and 'never ever ever ever in a million years unplanned features' instead of trolling posts just asking questions of the community.

Im not trying to get hopes up. If people cant understand the difference between 'suggestions' and 'change log', theyre going to bust your balls about the topic no matter where its posted. You can ignore it if you choose to do so, but it will be brought up because the feature is in vanilla. Some portion of the community would like to have it, if not in default tfc, then with mods. Which is fine as far as Im concerned. The bottom line is it isnt your job as a board mod to tell people that they arent allowed to bring up a topic, even if it isnt planned. Im not saying it is planned. Nowhere in any post I have made does it insinuate otherwise. Im simply showing that maybe, just maybe someone's opinion doesnt match yours, and people might be interested in NPCs.

warlord, they say no, it is no, thats enough reason, they wont explain everything, and people should use the SEARCH FUNCTION for once before actually making a topic, if you had, you'd notice that there are gazillion of topics on npcs all shot down with enough explanations why