Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Crysyn

Crossbows

161 posts in this topic

also called an atlatl

thats the aztec name for it yes, we europeans would call it a Spear thrower :D but besides the name, what do you think?

thats the aztec name for it yes, we europeans would call it a Spear thrower :D but besides the name, what do you think?

not much of a point....

post 15's, although knights carried small crossbows of full metal, behind their shields in order to counter the tactic of pikemen front, crossbowmen behind, which decimated knights due to their effectiveness.

Knights and crossbows? I was told throughtout my education career that ranged weapons were ment for lowly peasants and hired soldiers. It brought great shame and dishonour for a knight to use a bow or a crossbow.

But knights were often accompanied by a number of hired mounted soldiers carrying crossbows, as it was a devastating power.

That's what I was told anyway...

On the subject of ranged weapons.

Javelins should definatelly have shorter range and fly on a much steeper curve, requireing the user to learn how to aim them.

Javelins tips could also be made of metal, requireing more of it then arrows and bolts.

The Bows would certainly use an upgrade to a long bow, or just being stronger when made of better suited types of wood.

Crossbows, while not necessary, might be a nice addition. Type of wood used shouldn't make any difference and the bow and mechanism should be made out of metal.

I'd wager that most metals are too britle and un-flexible to act as a crossbow bow, so it would require, say Steel, or one of the higher tier metals to make a crossbow.

It would add to a distinction between bow and crossbow as well as balance between the two.

A combination of carpentry and fletching could be added to the game in a similar way that metalurgy works. It would certainly be cool and add a lot to the game, having players on the server that act out different roles.

Knights and crossbows? I was told throughtout my education career that ranged weapons were ment for lowly peasants and hired soldiers. It brought great shame and dishonour for a knight to use a bow or a crossbow.

But knights were often accompanied by a number of hired mounted soldiers carrying crossbows, as it was a devastating power.

That's what I was told anyway...

On the subject of ranged weapons.

Javelins should definatelly have shorter range and fly on a much steeper curve, requireing the user to learn how to aim them.

Javelins tips could also be made of metal, requireing more of it then arrows and bolts.

The Bows would certainly use an upgrade to a long bow, or just being stronger when made of better suited types of wood.

Crossbows, while not necessary, might be a nice addition. Type of wood used shouldn't make any difference and the bow and mechanism should be made out of metal.

I'd wager that most metals are too britle and un-flexible to act as a crossbow bow, so it would require, say Steel, or one of the higher tier metals to make a crossbow.

It would add to a distinction between bow and crossbow as well as balance between the two.

A combination of carpentry and fletching could be added to the game in a similar way that metalurgy works. It would certainly be cool and add a lot to the game, having players on the server that act out different roles.

the part on the knights with crossbows was directly from wikipedia on crossbows, and it was somewhere before the rise of the musket, because they started using a pikemen + crossbow formation, so the knights, who otherwise would be slaughtered before even getting to the pikes, learnt to conceal a much smaller crossbow behind their shield, allowing them to suddenly grab and shoot it at them (directly from wiki<<)

the crossbows themselves shouldnt be made out of metal since that didnt start until late 1600's whereas the mechanism was made out of metal quite early in its development :D

Meh, it's a game where your body is reconstructed by a magic pillow when you die. TFC has magic red and blue steel that can carry magma in your pocket or an infinite stream of water.

It doesn't have to be that strickt and I think that making it's bow out of metal does add to the game.

As for the knights, I never were interested in the late medieval period and anything beyond that. Me ne gusta pikes and muskets ;d

i've come across a weapon called a Spear-thrower in the book series Earths Children (which is based on true archeological finds) which was basically, an appliance that allowed people to throw javelins further and harder than by pure hand, it'd be a wooden appliance, fit in your hand, which could lift up and launch the spear you put in it, although the javs are a bit shorter than normal.

this could suit as a crossover between javelins and crossbows, and javelins could be nerfed (quite greatly) thanks to this.

Posted Image

you basically throw it like normal, its a lot shorter, but because of the leverage due to the tool it'd still fly harder and further than a hand thrown one, at the same muscle exercise (btw, thats a aztec variant, couldnt find a picture of Earths children series)

The atlatl has it's own thread, you know? ._.

The atlatl has it's own thread, you know? ._.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh crap well, thanks for pointing that one out, i posted it as a continuance on the topic without searching beforehand ;)

BUMPITYBUMPBUMPBUMP (i seriously would like to know if the feature of crossbows is a confirmed, possible, maybe, probably not, or a no, their cool weapons, especially for PvP)

So, apparently someone in my apartment block bought himself a crossbow. At least I think he is, there's torn box with pictures and text on it.

So, apparently someone in my apartment block bought himself a crossbow. At least I think he is, there's torn box with pictures and text on it.

Did you ask him what he was gonna do with a crossbow? (Best way to start a conversation which piqued your interest.)

On-topic: With the upgrade to bows, how much hits do you guys need to knock down a zombie? Also, how much hits do you guys think a crossbow should require to knock down a zombie?

with zombies, it should depend on headshot or no, bow = 2 headshots or around 5-10 body shots, crossbow = 1 headshot and around 3-6 body shots for a kill ;D