Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Crysyn

Crossbows

161 posts in this topic

weapons need to be defined by 4 major stats:

Weapon type(base dmg)

Weapon weight(blunt dmg)

Weapon edge(slash dmg)

Metal strength(durability)

The type of weapon determines what its base stat is. sword does this much damage, a mace does this, and yes, even a hoe does this much. Each thing should have that taken into account. a red steel vs a zinc would have this same base damage calculated. this is not me saying drop out the tier system, this is me saying that there should be thought put into why carry a heavy iron mace over a lighter black steel mace(example, I know little about metallurgy). To continue, each metal would then have a specific modifier added to the base stat. One metal is heavier and adds to blunt damage, another is lighter and does not add as much. Blunt dmg has no further modifiers and acts to serve only a shell for a teir system. in the end game, you decide between a lighter steel vs a heavier steel. Why? Because perhaps one holds an edge better then another. this is where we get into slash and durability. Durability is determined by the metal used. Red steel would naturaly be the best bet for a sword because it holds its edge best. the reason you want red steel to hold its edge is because the longer it holds that edge the longer it does more damage using that edge. your durability is added to your damage and that is what you deal until your durability gets to Nth percent where its reduced to 'that much' the better your blade is made, the longer it lasts and the better it serves you. this adds to the reason for smiths to make 'perfect weapons'.

nope, the entire point is to be expensive. Making it less expensive destroys balance.

Not only expensive. The expensive darts must not be overpowered. Many times a not overpowered thing is better than a very expensive but OP one.

these were known as an arbalest if i am correct ;D

*"arbalest" remembers him of "ballista"*

*Sad face, 'cause of the siege weapons being rejected a while ago*

:(

aww don't remind me of that!

*"arbalest" remembers him of "ballista"*

*Sad face, 'cause of the siege weapons being rejected a while ago*

:(

The Greeks and Romans eventualy developed repeating crossbows of their own. The fired much faster than a standard crossbow of the era and had a 'technically' infinite ammo capacity as more bolts could always be thrown in the ammo hopper. It's primary disadvatage was immobility, as it couldn't be re-aimed once set. Wasn't really worth it in the long run.

But yes, crossbows shouldn't be shorter range than regular bows.

I know of the romans using big ballistas and smaller ballistas known as scorpions (which where still no where near as small and portable as a crossbow) which launched great spears over huge distances. this is something that all people with basic knowledge of roman history should know about.

I did however not know of any ancient romans using actual handheld crossbows! have you got any source on this or did you mistake the repeating crossbow for their repeating ballista? (man i won so many battles with the repeating ballista in Rome Total war.)

Gah. The info is from a book I unfortunately can't find at the moment but it was most definately a crossbow.

Also, arbalest is medieval french not greco-roman.

I'll try to find the book this weekend. I know I have it.

Gah. The info is from a book I unfortunately can't find at the moment but it was most definately a crossbow.

Also, arbalest is medieval french not greco-roman.

I'll try to find the book this weekend. I know I have it.

Yeah i believe the arbalest came later.

Ah. according to wikipedea it was the Polybolos. Wikipedia calls it a thyp of balista, but it seems much smaller than what I would define as a ballista. Probably just a vagary of the greek language.

After a quck search I can find no real information regarding the size of the weapon, so either a large seige-crossbow or a small ballista.

Ah. according to wikipedea it was the Polybolos. Wikipedia calls it a thyp of balista, but it seems much smaller than what I would define as a ballista. Probably just a vagary of the greek language.

After a quck search I can find no real information regarding the size of the weapon, so either a large seige-crossbow or a small ballista.

That's the Scorpio that i was talking about. it is indeed smaller than the ballista but still not a handheld crossbow.

think of it as the MG-42 of the roman era!

That's the Scorpio that i was talking about. it is indeed smaller than the ballista but still not a handheld crossbow.

think of it as the MG-42 of the roman era!

I would say that it isn't really a great idea to add into a mod where Bioxx doesn't want it to be easy. Crossbows have their own time to reload so it's alright, but bumping it to repeating crossbow.... I say it's best not to talk about it ever again. The design is good but the fact that it would make most crossbows obsolete... Also that is more to a siege gun rather than a handheld one. Even if made handheld, it would be more like a shotgun-cross-crossbow where you do the pumping animation to reload the gun. Still something that makes the game easier than it is now once you get to the metal stage.

Metal components might be good but I'd rather have a wooden one (except for trigger). In terms of production-wise, one crossbow should not consume less resources to develop than a bow. Bolts can be made metal-only since there should be some sense of trade-off between power and resource consumption.

sometimes its good to ignore balance when you want to enhance the worlds believability. Perhaps a rework of the damage system would allow advanced combat? wouldn't take much, though a buff or two might be worth looking into.

I would say that it isn't really a great idea to add into a mod where Bioxx doesn't want it to be easy. Crossbows have their own time to reload so it's alright, but bumping it to repeating crossbow.... I say it's best not to talk about it ever again. The design is good but the fact that it would make most crossbows obsolete... Also that is more to a siege gun rather than a handheld one. Even if made handheld, it would be more like a shotgun-cross-crossbow where you do the pumping animation to reload the gun. Still something that makes the game easier than it is now once you get to the metal stage.

Metal components might be good but I'd rather have a wooden one (except for trigger). In terms of production-wise, one crossbow should not consume less resources to develop than a bow. Bolts can be made metal-only since there should be some sense of trade-off between power and resource consumption.

I'm not saying we should add Scorpios and ballistas to the mod dude. i'm just making sure we all know the difference between them and the crossbow.

so we actually have a consensus that we do want crossbows, but a repeating weapon would be unwanted? why not have my idea, the 5 slot magazine taking an INCREDIBRUUUUUU ass long time to reload (im talking 5 times the time of a regular crossbow which'd be like 5 seconds minimum)

so we actually have a consensus that we do want crossbows, but a repeating weapon would be unwanted? why not have my idea, the 5 slot magazine taking an INCREDIBRUUUUUU ass long time to reload (im talking 5 times the time of a regular crossbow which'd be like 5 seconds minimum)

So why would one want to have such a thing, taking in account that it is also expensive to make?

because it'd fire 5 arrows in a single sitting? useful for when you have a good defensive position but dont want to reload every so often in order to keep a sight on what mobs or (primarily) players are doing below your walls.

That's like five crossbows welded together somehow, is it not?

Then why not a blowgun that shots poisoned darts? The blowgun is made with sugar canes and a knife. The darts are made with sticks, feathers and a spider eye. This is not overpowered because to get feathers you need to kill the chickens and to have the spider eyes you need to survive when you fight the spiders. And to make this more expensive you need to decrease the spider eye drop chance. The sticks are cheap.

Then why not a blowgun that shots poisoned darts? The blowgun is made with sugar canes and a knife. The darts are made with sticks, feathers and a spider eye. This is not overpowered because to get feathers you need to kill the chickens and to have the spider eyes you need to survive when you fight the spiders. And to make this more expensive you need to decrease the spider eye drop chance. The sticks are cheap.

I think you would have to crush the spider eye in a crafting table with a hammer or something to get spider eye poison first. 'Cause sticking an eye on a stick........

I think you would have to crush the spider eye in a crafting table with a hammer or something to get spider eye poison first. 'Cause sticking an eye on a stick........

No, this way you waste it. I have another suggestion. Give some durability to the spider eye. It works like an axe that loses durability when used to craft planks. You place the eye in the crafting table with the clean darts and you get poisoned darts and a spider eye with less durability.

No, this way you waste it. I have another suggestion. Give some durability to the spider eye. It works like an axe that loses durability when used to craft planks. You place the eye in the crafting table with the clean darts and you get poisoned darts and a spider eye with less durability.

Yes. This I like. This works much better than the other 2 things. +1

Specially a stick you have to fit in your blowgun...

Yes. This I like. This works much better than the other 2 things. +1

But now that I think to this, don't you feel sick when you smash an eye with a hammer?

This suggestion by you? You have a self-destructive nature, do you know?

But now that I think to this, don't you feel sick when you smash an eye with a hammer?

This suggestion by you? You have a self-destructive nature, do you know?

Dunno, never tried. Just a suggestion I mean Steve is a caveman, and he will do whateer he has to to survive and thrive.

I have a self destructive nature? Do you mean desctructive? Or are you playing on the fact that i AM an eye? (the ALL SEEING eye to be precise.)

Noe that you mention it, it is pretty sick. :( hehe

Or are you playing on the fact that i AM an eye?

This, but you aren't a spider eye, true?

This, but you aren't a spider eye, true?

No...I am the All Seeing Eye.. I have Rainbow Esscence, not poison.