Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
tsnm

A poor copy of Terrafirmacraft

31 posts in this topic

i cannot see much reference besides rock types being named equally, which is hardly a reference at all imo... not sure :/

A mod that adds different sorts of (real - so TFC don't have any 'copyright' for using real stone-types) stone.

It don't even add new types of ore - so I don't see a reason for call it a 'copy'.

Saw it a couple days ago - found it very interesting but than I saw, that it has one (esthetic) problem: It places the vanilla ores with the old texture into the new stones.

But a nice mod at all.

A mod that adds different sorts of (real - so TFC don't have any 'copyright' for using real stone-types) stone.

It don't even add new types of ore - so I don't see a reason for call it a 'copy'.

It copy an idea. I saw the mod and automatically remember me TFC.

dude, the amount of ideas that are identical is incredibly big, you cannot call this a copy, it merely uses a real life name for stone, nothing else from TFC.

its not a copy, (yet)

Oh, by the way. Have I told ya 'bout my latest idea of soaking up the surrounding gas mixture through my nose and mouth, filling these two odd looking, spongelike thingys in my breast with it so my veins can transport this gas through my whole body, allowing my cells to work more effective?

I think I should protect this idea via some sort of copyright, so none can copy it and use it for themselves...

PS.: don't trust the 'edit line' - it's lying - the real editor is called Chardonnay ;)

Edited by Waveshaper

It's not a copy, but its textures are utterly horrible and the generation isn't nearly a quarter as good as TFCs.

agreed with 3/4th's of your post, but you basically allowed him to grab TFC and use that for a base, (as it comes over to me) no me gusta XD

agreed with 3/4th's of your post, but you basically allowed him to grab TFC and use that for a base, (as it comes over to me) no me gusta XD

he's getting a 'like' from me though :D

TFC is open source and is done so in that manor both for the forge ToS and in bioxx's words: so you can learn

and yes, I am EveCommander on that site.

I dont think its a copy, what the mod has are stone that exist in real life, and minerals that exist in real life. So in other words they are just getting the same insipiration, its like saying im copying your drawing just because im using a lot of blue as well.

After perusing this modification, Tsnm, I deeply fail to see this as a copy of TerraFirmaCraft; it uses inspiration from Reality, just as TFC did. Unless the code is exact to TFC code, I do not consider this to be a TFC copy.

There is no possible way to implement realistic blocks that is similar to another realistic modifiaction if the mod author is working on a realistic modification, it just doesn't work that way.

It had eight, eight and eight for rocks. Its missing some got some new ones but there are obvious similarities.Based on reality, sure. Is it different, sure. But it is really that original of an idea or did he likely draw inspiration from TFC, I think its safe to say he has at least seen the mod before, no?

Edit: I posted there too, also Krski what you did makes a slight amount of sense but you need to think before you act we don't want rivalry if anything we should be close to this mod, and although the ideas bear extreme similarities there a different purposes to each and therefore are individual and useful each in their own way. You jumped the gun, I would suggest an apology.

This mod is a poor copy of Terrafirmacraft: http://www.minecraft...erground-biomes

What are you thought about this?

My thoughts are that you're trying to cause controversy where there isn't any. Just because it has some similarities does not make it a copy. Just stop it.

My thoughts are that you're trying to cause controversy where there isn't any. Just because it has some similarities does not make it a copy. Just stop it.

Hold on. I believe Tsnm did not understand how realistic modifications work; if the mod author wants to code a realistic mod, and there is another mod that's also realistic, they cannot add anything that isn't similar because of their mods' realistic aim.

Having multiple mods stem from the same source material (real life) can hardly be considered copying.

Ideas are not uniquely your own. That is why you cannot slap a copyright on ideas. For programs, you can copyright code (as long as it is not derivative work, there are other copyright processes for that) and you can copyright your art assets, but ideas cannot be copyrighted.

Dude adds materials found in the real world, just because TFC does the same thing, doesn't mean that it is copying TFC. It would be like one technical mod yelling at another for using electrical systems or cables, just because their mod "did it first".

Heck, even the MC dev team had to bring this up at the 2012 Minecon that ideas are not uniquely owned by people, so stop freaking out when they add features to vanilla MC that other mods have done. Same goes for mods having features other mods have implemented.

Underground Biomes looks to be using his own art assets, and I am pretty sure he doesn't have any of the world gen code from TFC b/c that would be very easy to spot (change in sea level for one), and it would be way to much a pain in the ass to reverse engineer the TFC code.

It's like TFC without some of the excessively boring realism elements!

So you're saying TFC has excessively boring realism elements? And TFC is based on believability, not realism, if you didn't know.

Realism is not the aim of TFC; believability is its aim. Realism is also considered taboo around the TFC Forums. And do inform me, list a compendium of all the 'excessively boring realism elements'.

P.S. - I really mean the last sentence.

So you're saying TFC has excessively boring realism elements? And TFC is based on believability, not realism, if you didn't know.

I thought it was based on waiting around for things to melt and digging aimlessly based on the sayings of a prospector's pick that's clearly a few minerals short of an ore.

I thought it was based on waiting around for things to melt and digging aimlessly based on the sayings of a prospector's pick that's clearly a few minerals short of an ore.

Not necessarily.

Hahahaha, you serious?