Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Unavailableartist

Another Idea... Aesthetic Cave Crystals

18 posts in this topic

Ok... so I got this idea while trying to figure what Rook wanted with this thread.

Crystal Caverns!!! And yes, they do exist... for any of you who have watched the Blue Planet series on Discovery you'll know what I mean.

here's what I mean...

Posted Image

Ok so that's extreme... lol. The crystals are small in the cave. It has been done before in Thaumcraft... with Vis/Taint cristals... all you have to do is re-texture those crystals to whites/greys/yellows/may be even purples now and again... that don't glow or give light..

Make them a special spawn that isn't common and doesn't happen till deeper in minecraft. And if you mine them you get rocksalt (stone) or quartsite (stone). I think the crystals in this cave are gypsum anyways.

here are the thaumcraft crystals...

Posted Image

now picture that in the grey/white color scheme... it would look very cool.

Go here.... read stuff....

:)

"nurr ets emposebles et desnt luk natrel gurhurhue minecraft cavs r bste cavs"

That's not so extreme, it's just a really old and wet cave, lol. I like this suggestion, I want to see more "believable" features in caves, seeing as apparently making the caves believable is completely impossible according to the un-experienced wet-retards spamming my topic with their anal blood.

Posted Image

"nurr ets emposebles et desnt luk natrel gurhurhue minecraft cavs r bste cavs"

That's not so extreme, it's just a really old and wet cave, lol. I like this suggestion, I want to see more "believable" features in caves, seeing as apparently making the caves believable is completely impossible according to the un-experienced wet-retards spamming my topic with their anal blood.

*sigh* was this portion neccesary? i hope you realize that ANY valid points you make are ruined with your insults and behavior.

like i said: you make some good arguments, but you ruin every single bit of credit with your remarks, if you didnt have any of those you'd get along perfectly here.

back to topic: i'd like crystals making their ways into caves, but not entire caves made out of crystal, might be over the top (although they do exist)

had the exact same idea ages ago but most thought it would be to diffacult to code ...

had the exact same idea ages ago but most thought it would be to diffacult to code ...

wait, just read your location,

you live in a bowl?

...Non-sense infinus5... If you really think it fits... all you have to do is ask ;-)

Someone one another thread mentioned that you should mine them to get gems.

---I say how about cave specific minerals... like minerals that only spawn deep in the these caves. After you had to trudge through horrible nasties like skelies, creepers, and endermen.

wait, just read your location,

you live in a bowl?

Ya...it should be bowels. :P

Kimble made a very good point in another thread.

Why not have actually gem crystals -obviously with different grades- like rare (amethyst, garnet, tourmuline), very rare (topaz, opal, beryl), and some of them EXTREMELY rare (rubies, sapphires, diamonds, and emeralds).

Each would have not just a generic crystal shape, but the actual shape and size it really forms in! Gemstones like Opal, Jade, Jasper, and Agate would have to be handled differently though, as their are not actual large "crystals" in the common sense of the word.

Infinus, help me out here! I need deeper geoligy knowledge.

I don't know when gems are going to have a use but technically you would be hard pressed to find any rare gems in caves. As most caves are made of sedimentary rocks, not very many minerals or crystals grow on those.

But TFC has igneous rocks forming stalactites and mites. So anything possible. You could even make them something like sulfur crystal (for gunpowder) or Chalcanthite ( blue copper crystals). Actually Chalcanthite would be a Good crystal because its a salt... And is got a pretty blue color.

The crystals found in this cave are espicifically salts.... Gypsum... It's a variation called selenite. And technically you can't have different minerals growing in Crystals because they ARE the minerals themselves... Not like a rock which is composed of several small crystals or different minerals. So it makes more sense to break random rocks and get several types of gems and mineral while the crystal you see gives off a specific type.

Yeh... As soon as I posted it I realized how ridiculous it is. I'm actually a rock hound myself with a pretty good knowledge of Geoligy, no freakin clue why I was off my rocker there :|

Me too... I love rocks. Well crystals and minerals. I'm not a good one though the most I've ever found was a few small pieces of pyrite and a Myster crystal next to it....

I live right next to the Great Lakes so I have a pretty awesome agate collection if i do say sp myself. I love agates! I think my best non agate find was a worn down schist rock with about a half dozen low grade tic tax sized garnet crystals in it. That or the golf ball sized, perfectly smooth and pretty round very deep purple amethyst crystal pebble. I love just going out and looking for rocks and seeing the stories they tell me about the place they come from :)

I have a lot of specimens. But they were given to me as a gift... But the pyrite (almost microscopic), mystery crystal, and calcite I found from limestone are all I've found myself.

create ALL the sapphire-laced jewellery

Kimble made a very good point in another thread.

Why not have actually gem crystals -obviously with different grades- like rare (amethyst, garnet, tourmuline), very rare (topaz, opal, beryl), and some of them EXTREMELY rare (rubies, sapphires, diamonds, and emeralds).

Each would have not just a generic crystal shape, but the actual shape and size it really forms in! Gemstones like Opal, Jade, Jasper, and Agate would have to be handled differently though, as their are not actual large "crystals" in the common sense of the word.

Infinus, help me out here! I need deeper geoligy knowledge.

wow its taken me a while to get back to this

to bad we can t actually have crytals and gem stones jutting from the walls of caves, that would rule :D

perhaps we could have a "pocket" block that drops a gem of a random grade as many gems and crystals do form in this manner

The structure of the crystal seems like a sticking point to me. The thing I never liked about Thaumcraft or Xycraft crystals, for instance, is that they are polygons instead of voxel-based objects. I like polygons just fine, but they look like they don't belong.

However, because of TFC's fantastic microblock stuff, crystals could be voxel-based and have a wide variety. They could be connected to the wall at a variety of locations on the block (instead of only ever at the center), with randomly-generated growth patterns. One bright blue crystal looks neat. A room full of blue crystals looks stunning. A room full of identical blue crystals looks as interesting as a room of stone walls. Without variety in their shape, crystals are never going to be anything better than a novelty people stop enjoying after they see a few of them.

On another topic: Do the drip columns already in the game grow at all? I do see that the stalactites drip water from time to time (which is a beautifully nice touch, by the way). If they do grow, crystals could grow as well, in about the same way.