Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
psychocannon

TFC Tips and Tricks [B75]

24 posts in this topic

So I've gotten a couple tips and some of which I've not seen around that I thought I'd share and would love for others to contribute theirs :)

Log Piles

Normally you can only stack log piles vertically if the lower stack is full (16 logs)

An easy way round this is to have two log types, put 1 log of type 1 in each of the 4 slots for the lower stack, then place log type 2 on top.

As log type 2 can't go into the lower stack it counts as full and lets you build vertically.

This means you can go vertical with as little as 4 logs instead of 16.

If you want to skim further you can then remove 3 logs from the lower pile

Charcoal Pits

They are dangerous and will ignite any wood around them even when covered.

You can build a Charcoal pit out of Brick instead of mud and it won't collapse after burning the wood inside.

You can throw a door into this to make it re-usable and also to viably check progress.

You can make a Charcoal pit almost any size but depending on your machine/server you may crash if you make it too large.

Forge

Once you have created a forge with the stone bricks, you don't as of B75 need to keep the stone bricks there (unlike the bloomery) so can either remove them or chisel them down to save space or create designs like stoves.

You can't use this trick to place 2 forges side by side.

Chiseled blocks count as air, so if you want to stick a forge somewhere without smacking holes in your building, just "chisel" the blocks above/beside to give the forge access to sky without actually making a hole.

Smelting

You can place 5 metal items into an Anvil (2 in the Weld slots, 1 in the ingot slot, and 1 in the blueprint slot) and one in the Weld Output slot and they will not cool down, you can use this to store items at workable temperature.

To get the item into the weld output slot you need to have the item in your Inventory (NOT your hotbar) and at least the Ingot slot filled already.

Shift click the item you want to store and it will pop into the Weld output slot.

(Items include Ingots shaped and unshaped, Sheets, Armour, and metal buckets)

If you have a partial ingot that has cooled, you can throw it into a bloomery with the same ore type and it will fill up and become liquid, you don't need to heat it first.

Tools

Creating tools with different rock types all yield "Stone tool X" but you can't combine different types of stone tool for repair so try to stick to one type.

Sluices

You can use a dispenser on a timer to automatically feed a sluice.

Gravity affected blocks

You can use wood planks to make a cheap frame work that will stop gravity affected blocks falling.

Blocks also are less likely to fall if connected to other blocks on more sides so when building along a drop (for example leveling off ground) try to place blocks so they are connected to as many other blocks to the side and behind as possible

If you spam place Gravity affected blocks in a vertical stack, you will often be left with floating blocks

Cave ins

If you need to hollow out a large area without supports, cutting round the edge of the area starting from the top round then, slicing the top layer connecting the "block" to the ceiling, then working down will leave you with a free standing block that can be harvested at will without risk of cave in. (there is still some risk of cave in while carving it out but greatly minimized)

Ores -WARNING SPOILERS - MAY MAKE ORE FINDING TOO EASY

Ores seem to be heaviest around depth Y60

Limited Water

With Wooden buckets if you empty it into an area bigger than approx 4 blocks the water will simply vanish, you can segment an area using dirt blocks and fill up the pockets then remove the blocks once done.

Water Building

You can't place certain blocks like cobble underwater, however if you can place a block above the water line, you can then put cobble along side and it will fall into the water.

Storage

Steel Buckets can be Stored in Anvils (they can't be put in chests or on tool racks)

Armour can be Stored in Anvils (they can't be put in chests or on tool racks)

Redstone

Chiseled blocks act like glass. So you can use them on redstone circuits as "diodes".

Lighting

Chiseled blocks act like glass. So you can use them to create glowing walkways or walls

Farming

You get more items harvesting with a Hoe than with bare hands!

Interesting Bugs

Using the /Time Set [Day/Night] Command (at least on SMP) resets the year as well as time!

This will also stunt plant/tree growth.

if you chisel the blocks in front of a door down just 1 slab, you can't get in the door from the chiseled DOWN block but you can go through it from the other side creating a one way door. (or slab both sides to make it unusable)

Flowing water will force gates/doors shut as soon as you open them

When you get floating tree blocks left after cutting down a tree (common with Willow trees), if it's a single block, knocking off the leaves will often trigger the wood block to drop saving you some Axe use (and time)

If you right click charcoal at the top of a bloomery (say when trying to open a trap door with charcoal in your hand) it will "place" the charcoal in the bloomery shaft (bottom) breaking the bloomery and destroying any Charcoal/Ore that was smelting at the time!

Nice, Some I knew some I didnt, hope to see more tips and tricks!

Good, really. How did you find all this? It's awesome. But, I think that the ores tip can spoil the gameplay of people, then I would delete it or at least put it in a spoiler. The rest is ok :)

Farming

Farmland doesn't need to be directly next to water as in vanilla just in the vicinity of.

(need to confirm radius)

In vanilla, farmland blocks DO NOT need to be adjacent to water in order to be hydrated. Blocks as far as 4 metres (blocks) from water will get hydrated, not only those adjacent to it. And I don't know this for sure, but I think the same radius applies to TFC for now.

Tools

Creating tools with different rock types all yeild "Stone tool X" but you can't combine different types of stone tool for repair so try to stick to one type.

This is true, but I just wanted to point out a typo :P "yield" instead of "yeild"

Gravity effected blocks

Just another typo, "affected" instead of "effected".

Otherwise, good tips, I didn't know about all of them. Thanks for sharing :D

Haha thanks, Affect.Effect is one I ALWAYS derp even though I should know better.

Thanks for the correction about farmland too.

And the I before E except after C I knew just derped the typing =p

I found them just by playing and experimenting when I noticed odd things =p

As to the farming thing, I have tested that out, and it has the same effective distance (four blocks) from a water source, still or moving. And for a tip of my own, don't get metal from a bloomery if the bloomery is not working anymore, as in it has run out of charcoal. You'll just get a cold ingot, and depending on what you have available, you may not be able to heat it up to a suitable temperature for your given metal.

Aww man, these were some of my best-kept secrets.

Well cheers to you for letting them out, xD

Haha sorry man,

But hey ...for a reasonable price I could be persuaded to delete the post ;)

I want to add something:

Chiseled blocks act like glass. So you can use them on redstone circuits as "diodes".

I could have a secret to add here, maybe, if it still works. I know how to get the cobble form of every rock.

Let a creeper explode next to the stone.

Tip: Different rock types have different levels of difficulty for mining. It goes in the standard order, as with hardness for knapping.

Let a creeper explode next to the stone.

Not this, but a more secret method that you can do when and where you want. And also as many times as you want.

You need 2 rocks. It's better if they fall slowly, not too fast, or it will be more difficult to get the cobble form. (Tip: you can try with marble, it should fall slow enough)

You also need a pickaxe, just in case that you do this wrongly.

Ok, you now need a wall, even naturally generated.

First place one of the 2 rocks in front of the wall, but at the height of 1 block.

Then let the rock fall. Now quickly place the second rock below the first.

The result will be that the upper rock will drop in a cobble form because it can't find space while falling.

Simple but also useful for someone, maybe.

Credits go to me for this :D it was one of my best secrets of this mod.

lol usefull

Quick tip: The floor of my forge is made of raw stone with hammer (stone anvil) to store Hot ingots and unshaped metals :

Posted Image

Quick tip: The floor of my forge is made of raw stone with hammer (stone anvil) to store Hot ingots and unshaped metals :

Posted Image

That texture pack! :o What is it?!

I have another secret, but this is newer. If you throw a javelin to a boat, you will get the boat item instead of the sticks and planks. This is useful when you want to keep safe your boat, in your chest.

Something to add. You can easily get rid of a forge by right-clicking the top edge of a block surrounding the forge with a piece of charcoal. That places the charcoal where the forge was. Saves time and ur pickaxe. :)

LadyZ

I don't know if we can consider it a "secret" but the hoe have different modes that can be changed like the chisel. You can 1- prepare soil 2- see if you have water to your farm land 3- check if crop is ready 4- use fertilizer (however, I did not figure that out yet).

TIP: Don't try to smelt anything but tier one metals in a firepit with peat. I tried doing this with copper, and even with a bellows, it didn't get it above orange*.

TIP: Don't try to smelt anything but tier one metals in a firepit with peat. I tried doing this with copper, and even with a bellows, it didn't get it above orange*.

Copper is the point that I either throw in a few logs of hardwood (oak, hickory) or decide to start making a bloomery.