Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Euphoric

Make Prospector's Pick display type of stone

24 posts in this topic

Title says it all. Make prospector's pick display type of stone when used in addition to standard ore prospecting.

I sometimes find myself wanting to know what stone is around me. I can either guess based on color (which can be inaccurate and requires memorization or all rocks) or mine few pieces with pick and look at dropped rocks (this might be problem if you have inventory full of rocks, so you don't know what really dropped).

hmm, i might be speaking before my turn here but i dont really think that'd be too much of an improvement to be considered overpowering a propick,

i like it :D

This is simple, too the point. I like it, and cant think of an ill effect. +1 because 'likes' are useless and posting bumps

Only the first layer of rock right? If so +1. :D This doesn't really have an ill-effect at all.

Only the first layer of rock right? If so +1. :D This doesn't really have an ill-effect at all.

Why only the first layer? :/

Well, not a REALLy big reason, but how often do you see chunks of rock from ~100 m down?

Guys I only meant for stone you click on. Not for whole layer/column/biome.

Guys I only meant for stone you click on. Not for whole layer/column/biome.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

Do you mean something like this:

Posted Image

I found some free time and added this to the Prospector's Pick... and i must say, it would really be nice to have :)

and it's not that hard to implement. But it all depends on Bioxx and Dunk, if they would even want this feature to be there at all.

Do you mean something like this:

Posted Image

I found some free time and added this to the Prospector's Pick... and i must say, it would really be nice to have :)

and it's not that hard to implement. But it all depends on Bioxx and Dunk, if they would even want this feature to be there at all.

Yes, exactly.

I wouldn't do it like that. If I did add some such feature, it would probably be more vague.

I also don't agree that this is entirely useful or necessary. After a while you should be able to tell what kind of stone you're looking at just by seeing it. Secondly, if you're underground and unable to find surface rocks (which tell you the first rock layer), I doubt you would be there WITH a pro pick but not a regular pick. Why have a pro pick if you can't mine anything? Thirdly, the function of the propick is to hone in on an ore vein. It's to find something you can't see. It wouldn't feel right to give it the secondary function of telling you what kind of rock you're looking at. If you can't figure out what the huge chunk of rock in front of you is, I have no idea how you're identifying specific ore samples in said rocks.

Let me argue that: It tells me what metal I am looking at already. Why NOT tell me what rock its in? Telling the difference between dacite and granite Dolomite and Shale can be troublesome at times, even for seasoned players.(I am probs mixing textures up, but I have found very subtle transitions that lead to confusion: when did I get this other rock?)

it has its uses, I for one would like to not have to guess what someone else used in a build and instead of asking which can be impossible at times(offline, no longer visits server, etc) and instead of greifing it, I can just rightclick and know for sure.

in the back of my mind, Didnt this argument pop up back when the suggestion to add this exact feature for telling what metal we were looking at was made?

Edit: I apparently mixed textures. Thanks ejzzje for catching that.

I like you're type of reason EEC +1 for you and this post

I wouldn't do it like that. If I did add some such feature, it would probably be more vague.

I understand the reasons for not wanting to add other features to a tool that is made for a specific purpose.

So i made this Server Side Mod that adds a chat command /bn that will give you the name of the block you are looking/focusing at.

/bn => TFC Block Names => BlockNameTFC.zip

Not working on Singleplayer at the moment, but if there is enough interest for that, i will add it to singleplayer also.

edit: it was much easier then i thought... version 1.1, works in Singleplayer also :)

I have a better idea. Make right clicking with a tool(or fist) that has no right click functions display the tool tip of the block you are looking at.

It's not necessary guys. If you're on the surface, you can punch loose rocks to determine the type of stone. If you're deeper than layer one and you don't have a pickaxe to mine a rock and check the type you're doing something wrong.

I have a few situations where this is very useful.... to me anyway

- You have 4 different types of rock in your inventory... Which rock dropped from the block you just pickaxed?

- You play on a protected server and would like to know what type of block was used to build something.

- I don't want to chop down a tree, just to find out, that i didn't need that type of wood.

And this idea comes from the Prospectors Pick :) ... a very cool feature.

I have a few situations where this is very useful.... to me anyway

- You have 4 different types of rock in your inventory... Which rock dropped from the block you just pickaxed?

- You play on a protected server and would like to know what type of block was used to build something.

- I don't want to chop down a tree, just to find out, that i didn't need that type of wood.

And this idea comes from the Prospectors Pick :)/> ... a very cool feature.

If you are looking for a specific type for stone and have some already. Just place some on your toolbar, if you pick up more of that stone, the number will increase. If you are looking for stone you don't have, then have a free toolbar space so that any new rocks go there. In addition to this, if you have trouble distinguishing one tree from another, then purchase better eyes.

If you are looking for a specific type for stone and have some already. Just place some on your toolbar, if you pick up more of that stone, the number will increase. If you are looking for stone you don't have, then have a free toolbar space so that any new rocks go there. In addition to this, if you have trouble distinguishing one tree from another, then purchase better eyes.

No need, i have /bn now :)

this is a pointless argument, one side cant see the other, and munition is wasted.

I would find this feature really useful, just like right clicking ore is useful(oh hey, thats not coal, thats iron!)

why? because I dont feel I need to fill my inv up with junk Im going to toss in a moment.

Here's a downside:

It diminishes that requirement for expertise that TFC is so well liked for.

A town usually has a dedicated blacksmith, who by long hours of working in the game has accrued the experience necessary to smith tools and armor of perfect quality. There is also sometimes a dedicated prospector, who has achieved mastery of the pro pick and can pinpoint ore easily.

Similarly, having little to no help in identifying stone types leads to geologists - server members who specialize in identifying the land and knowing what it can provide.

This sort of specialization is unique to TFC as a mod, and I would be absolutely loathe to include anything that would reduce it

I also like the idea. But for a quick fix, you could always edit the textures to something more easily identifiable. Nothing says Dolomite like a hand drawn "Dol" plastered across all the rocks infront of you :)

Also, for those of you who use NEI.... Open the NEI.cfg file and at the bottom change "inworld_tooltips" to true. It tends to get into a clipping fight with Rei's minimap, but its handy at times.

The textures should just look drastically different and linear interpolation should be used to blend rock types together.

Linear interpolation is already being used for ambient occlusion and that doesn't cause drastic optimisation problems.

or, instead of this, you could juust mine a single block of that stone and be able to tell from the type of rock you get from it