Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
venim1103

Actual changes when you change the difficulty settings

20 posts in this topic

I've noticed no difference playing the game in easy, normal or hard difficulties with this mod and this annoys me especially when I'm playing the game on hardcore mode.

The mobs are of course harder to kill at first when you don't have any actual weapons (metal weapons) and you heal up slower than in vanilla Minecraft.. But I feel like playing this mod is much easier than playing hardcore vanilla Minecraft.

The reason I installed this mod in the first place was because I wanted to add some challenge and realism to Minecraft. In some ways it did add those and I really think this could be the mod I've been looking for.

The problems I have are:

1) Creepers don't seem to do any damage and I'm pretty sure this is a bug. (In vanilla Minecraft a creeper can one shot kill you if it explodes right next to you, even when wearing normal diamond armor)

2) As for what I've gathered there is no Nether, so the mob variety is smaller. The lack of mobs like ghasts, pigmen and especially blazes makes the game much easier.

3) There is too much food so you really can't starve to death.. I really like the fact that you also need to drink but it seems ridiculous that killing one cow gives you like half a stack of meat.

I really like this mod as it makes the game much more realistic. I just don't get why the difficulty scaling was removed and many things were made much much easier than in normal Minecraft.

I know you are working on the Terra Firma Craft 2 but I would really like you to consider making the difficulty scaling work to at least the level of the original Minecraft (but I would love the harder difficulties be much harder) to either or to both of the mods :)

So my suggestion for difficulty levels in brief summary:

[fix creepers]

Peaceful = No hostile mobs

Easy = The difficulty how it is now

Normal = Mobs doing same amount of damage as they do in "hard" mode in normal Minecraft

Hard = Mobs doing the same amount of damage as they do in "hardcore" mode in Minecraft (and much less food drops)

Hardcore = well make it hard.. hardcore hard (almost no food drops until you have set up a farm or something like that) :)

Oh, and of course in all modes there is the slow healing rate that the mod has now.

In TFC2, current mobs are going to be replaced with wild animals, such as wolves, bears, cougars, etc. This will make the outside world more dangerous. I also heard someplace that there might be disease, and that animals will be harder to come by.

All of your concerns have been addressed :)

Ah, that sounds awesome!

I still hope that there will be actual difficulty settings added though, be them whatever they will be, but having something to be able to set the difficulty up is always welcomed :)

As well as that, in vanilla, I am pretty sure the mobs do the exact same damage in hard and hardcore mode. The only difference is you lose your world when you die.

Also, do you realize how long you could live off one cow irl, if it never got rotten?

For # 3 : I remember having the opposite discussion about the food drops. The majority of people complained that its simply not believeable that killing a cow gave you 1-5 steaks or whatever. I happen to agree. Killing an animal should give you a large quantity of food. Its not like you can only eat the liver of the cow or anything. Maybe a happy middle ground would be to sharply decrease the spawn rate of animals which provide food drops. Give the player a sense of needing to actually go out and hunt, instead of just calmly walking a few meters from their house to kill a cow or pig. This may or may not actually work out what with the whole island chain concept. Having animals spawn in pairs, or multiples of 2 with some guarentee of sexual diversity could overcome the problems we might encounter later on with animal breeding. No one wants to have to make a cow swim across a thousand meters of ocean to bring it home.

-Edit as an after thought, maybe Dunk could code the animals such that food drops increase as generations of domesticated animals are bred. Consider getting 5-10 or fewer drops from a regular rare auroch, but breeding them for a few generations starts yeilding cattle offspring (I vaguely remember some type of inheritance for animal breeding being discussed), which provide twice the drops or something.

As for the mobs, I agree entirely. I only ever play TFC on hardmode, but even then, it is still fairly easy. Its certainly not DayZ, dark souls, or ninja gaiden hard, and thats a shame because I think that survival, especially alone, in a 'believeable' setting should be much harder than TFC currently is. I guess we will have to wait and see how the new mobs work out.

1) Creepers don't seem to do any damage and I'm pretty sure this is a bug. (In vanilla Minecraft a creeper can one shot kill you if it explodes right next to you, even when wearing normal diamond armor)

What other mods are you using?

3) There is too much food so you really can't starve to death.. I really like the fact that you also need to drink but it seems ridiculous that killing one cow gives you like half a stack of meat.

Peaceful - It's always raining, but instead of water it is cooked steaks that are falling, thousands and thousands of delicious lag-inducing steaks.

Just walk around and pick them up, no killing required.

Easy - Whenever you start to get hungry, the animals will run up to you and say, "Good evening. May I interest you in the parts of my body?

Something off the shoulder perhaps? Braised in a white wine sauce? Or the rump is very good. I’ve been exercising it and eating plenty of grain, so there’s a lot of good meat there. May I urge you to consider my liver? it must be very rich and tender by now, I’ve been force-feeding myself for months." Then it will sit there as you kill it.

Normal - How animals act now.

Hard - The animals will run away from you if they see you.

Hardcore - The animals? What animals?

For # 3 : I remember having the opposite discussion about the food drops. The majority of people complained that its simply not believeable that killing a cow gave you 1-5 steaks or whatever. I happen to agree. Killing an animal should give you a large quantity of food. Its not like you can only eat the liver of the cow or anything. Maybe a happy middle ground would be to sharply decrease the spawn rate of animals which provide food drops. Give the player a sense of needing to actually go out and hunt, instead of just calmly walking a few meters from their house to kill a cow or pig. This may or may not actually work out what with the whole island chain concept. Having animals spawn in pairs, or multiples of 2 with some guarentee of sexual diversity could overcome the problems we might encounter later on with animal breeding. No one wants to have to make a cow swim across a thousand meters of ocean to bring it home.

-Edit as an after thought, maybe Dunk could code the animals such that food drops increase as generations of domesticated animals are bred. Consider getting 5-10 or fewer drops from a regular rare auroch, but breeding them for a few generations starts yeilding cattle offspring (I vaguely remember some type of inheritance for animal breeding being discussed), which provide twice the drops or something.

As for the mobs, I agree entirely. I only ever play TFC on hardmode, but even then, it is still fairly easy. Its certainly not DayZ, dark souls, or ninja gaiden hard, and thats a shame because I think that survival, especially alone, in a 'believeable' setting should be much harder than TFC currently is. I guess we will have to wait and see how the new mobs work out.

I agree that cows dropping more food is a bit more realistic than in Vanilla. I would rather see the whole dropping food from animals system to go away to have them drop carcasses or something of that sort instead. With the carcasses you'd have to use knives to butcher and skin the animal to eventually get the food and leather out of them. Oh and the real solution for the "too much meat" problem is to have some kind of mechanic where the food ages and eventually you can't eat it.

What other mods are you using?

Peaceful - It's always raining, but instead of water it is cooked steaks that are falling, thousands and thousands of delicious lag-inducing steaks.

Just walk around and pick them up, no killing required.

Easy - Whenever you start to get hungry, the animals will run up to you and say, "Good evening. May I interest you in the parts of my body?

Something off the shoulder perhaps? Braised in a white wine sauce? Or the rump is very good. I’ve been exercising it and eating plenty of grain, so there’s a lot of good meat there. May I urge you to consider my liver? it must be very rich and tender by now, I’ve been force-feeding myself for months." Then it will sit there as you kill it.

Normal - How animals act now.

Hard - The animals will run away from you if they see you.

Hardcore - The animals? What animals?

When I noticed creepers not doing any damage I was using no other mods than TFCraft. The only other mod I've installed afterwards is the Dynamic Lighting mod and I really can't see it being the problem either.

Last night when I played the game I had one or two creepers creep up on me at night when I was doing some smithing and they exploded right behind me.. I did not took any damage but they blew up everything: my forge, chests, everything. I would've rather died than that happening as when I picked up some of the items the game crashed and I had to delete the game (as it was not working) and start a new game :/

Animal butchering has been discussed quite a bit. I dont know, but I would assme that its probably going to be added at some point. A search of the forums would probably answer that, but its 2:38 am and im tired lol

When I noticed creepers not doing any damage I was using no other mods than TFCraft. The only other mod I've installed afterwards is the Dynamic Lighting mod and I really can't see it being the problem either.

Last night when I played the game I had one or two creepers creep up on me at night when I was doing some smithing and they exploded right behind me.. I did not took any damage but they blew up everything: my forge, chests, everything. I would've rather died than that happening as when I picked up some of the items the game crashed and I had to delete the game (as it was not working) and start a new game :/

Creepers do quite a lot of damage to me.. Are you sure you aren't playing on a server that blocks creeper damage? Or maybe you're a very high level (levels increase max health)?

To answer your question, it's because creepers do blast damage

You have 20 health in vanilla.

You have something on the order of 1000 in TFC. That's fine for the most part, because zombies and gravity and such have all had their damage scaled up accordingly.

However, with the way vanilla is coded, you can't increase blast damage without increasing blast radius, and that's no good. For creepers to hurt you a decent amount in TFC, they'd need to be as devastating as an Industrialcraft nuke to the surroundings.

No me gusta

You forget, this is a mod, you can change the game in a mod, this means that you can increase creeper damage. Even though you have 1000 health if creepers still did a maximum of about 25 damage this would practically equal about 1 pixel on the scale, from my experience I've lost a lot more health than that from creepers, this means explosion damage must have been scaled up. Just because something is non scaling in normal minecraft doesn't mean it cant be easily changed in a mod, the edit would most likely be as simple as modifying the base damage value for an explosion which must have been changed already.

You forget, this is a mod, you can change the game in a mod, this means that you can increase creeper damage. Even though you have 1000 health if creepers still did a maximum of about 25 damage this would practically equal about 1 pixel on the scale, from my experience I've lost a lot more health than that from creepers, this means explosion damage must have been scaled up. Just because something is non scaling in normal minecraft doesn't mean it cant be easily changed in a mod, the edit would most likely be as simple as modifying the base damage value for an explosion which must have been changed already.

It hasn't been. I'm not sure what creepers you've been exploding, but Dunk can't change explosion damage without making base edits, which would break forge compatibility. He may have made it so that they do extra regular damage to anyone in the attack radius tho, or something to that effect

... exploding, but Dunk can't change explosion damage without making base edits, which would break forge compatibility. ...

Actually, all it would take is to add this code to EntityHurtHandler.java

else if(event.source == DamageSource.explosion)		{			event.ammount = 500;		}

500 being the damage to any living entity.

edit: you could make that to "+= 500;" , that would add 500 damage to vanilla damage, that way TNT would also work properly ....that is if we had any :)

edit: you could make that to "+= 500;" , that would add 500 damage to vanilla damage, that way TNT would also work properly ....that is if we had any :)

*shrugs* Idk man, I'm just relaying what Dunk told me

or maybe it was a post from Bioxx, I forget

Is EntityHurtHandler a TFC class? If it's a vanilla class, then that wouldn't work.

It's a TFC class.

TFC uses Forge hooks to override/adapt vanilla damage values.

I used the same method in my Fly mod to not get any damage when i land.

I thought I tried that already.

I tried it with 500, then went looking for a creeper.

I guess i could have spawned one, but it was night, so i went looking for him.

But guess what...he found me...and seeing the health bar go down like that... i had that creeper feeling again :o:D

I agree that cows dropping more food is a bit more realistic than in Vanilla. I would rather see the whole dropping food from animals system to go away to have them drop carcasses or something of that sort instead. With the carcasses you'd have to use knives to butcher and skin the animal to eventually get the food and leather out of them. Oh and the real solution for the "too much meat" problem is to have some kind of mechanic where the food ages and eventually you can't eat it.

Both of these: food spoiling and butchery were hot button issues a while ago, search harder. I'm currently working on a summary thread that I hope will address this in more detail.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0