Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sting_Auer

Wood Fertilization

12 posts in this topic

Pretty simple idea; burning log piles over farmland fertilizes the farmland by replenishing nutrients based on the amount of logs in the pile

After the logs burn, soil becomes "hot ash soil" which must be mixed with a shovel (by holding right click for a few seconds), turning it into "hot prepared soil". Once the soil cools, it is safe to plant seeds.

If the "hot ash soil" cools before you mix it, or if it rains before you mix it, the ash is washed away and it becomes regular soil again.

idk where your from, but wet ash doesn't wash away... it sits there and gets packed in and becomes a terrible mess to clean... Until it eventually dissolves into the soil it sits on... IF its soil. More often then not, if its stone or brick, it continues to sit there... Wind can clear ash, not water.

I like this idea, except for all the "realism omg" parts.

Maybe we can make it so you put a charcoal pit on top of your farmland. That way we can kill two birds with one stone and players will be encouraged to do both.

My idea:

"When you make a charcoal pit on top of farmland, the soil regains nutrients"

That's it. Keep it simple. Having to shovel the stuff and wait before it cools adds no gameplay, just tedium.

Yea i agree with Gil , another way is to utalize bonemeal to give some type of nutrient back to the ground.

I like it but yea ... what Gil said

Yea i agree with Gil , another way is to utalize bonemeal to give some type of nutrient back to the ground.

Problem with bonemeal is that it's too easy to get/use. Kill skeleton, right click bonemeal.

Bonemeal should increase nutrients a tiny bit, while making a charcoal pit should be more interesting, bigger rewards.

Well maybe when skeletons get moved underground with zombies the bone meal would be a luxury to have ! I was considering the future! LOL

:)

Well maybe when skeletons get moved underground with zombies the bone meal would be a luxury to have ! I was considering the future! LOL

:)

I heard that might not happen anymore. I'm not sure. In any case, bonemeal in vanilla is just plain cheap and cheaty, so as long as it's not that, I'm happy :)

How about 3 different types of fertiliser, 1 for each colour and the charcoal as a general soil improver? But they just top up the nutrients, no instagrow.

I do like the idea of bonemeal only improving one kind of nutrient, along with two others. Charcoal pits would do all three.

Ash pits, anyone? you could shovel ash onto the soil and then use a hoe's right click to mix it in as well as tilling the ground

Why introduce something not needed to enchance the game ?

When you can enchance it more whity by working with what you have !

Now maybe bone meal gives back 1 nutrient , charcoal another and the third one could be something else !

People need charcoal alot and will cut down several forest's for it especially if it regenerates everything!

:) idk... ? maybe its just me .

Well since there are 3 types of nutrient in the soil. And the way of replenishing one is to plant alternating seeds, I would think that to speed this process up, one could use 3 types of nutrient. Compost would replenish one of the three, wet bonemeal would replenish another, and cow dung would replenish the third. This would add a "recycler" kind of feel to organic materials you don't need, It would add a use for bonemeal and cows would need more maintenance (yay bother).

And to balance it all off. You can only use one "dose" of each fertilizer on the soil, one at a time, and it would take a month (8 days) for it to settle into the soil before you can plant.

Also, a point to note about all the charcoal pit ideas, the idea of a charcoal pit is to produce charcoal, not ash, if you made ash, then you would not have a charcoal pit, but a pit of ash. Sure, furnaces should produce ash, it would be a cool idea to add soil pH to chunks, which would not change over time, (unless you change it yourself) but it would affect the kinds of plants you could plant. And for example, in soil with a low pH, you could add ash, to raise the pH.

Sulphur, which can already be found, could be ground into a fine powder, and spread on the soil to acidify it.