Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Soulrakyn

Where is the "club"? :P

25 posts in this topic

I was wondering, since you have the sword and the mace in metal age, why not have the knife, the club (along with the javelin) in the stone age?

Welcome to the forums , there is a knife in tfc do not post this in the suggestion section alot of people will have a seizure , do research and do not post small texts and call them features try to look on the moder point of view !

glhf on the forums

well, yes i think it's high time we started a club, get some strobe lights, light up floors, and a DJ in this thread right away!

lol they knew exactly what you meant, they just trolling...

All trolling aside I think this is a decent idea to go with. Maybe use a system with different types of damage. A knife would cut, a javelin would pierce, a club would smash, etc. Good idea Soulrakyn.

All trolling aside I think this is a decent idea to go with. Maybe use a system with different types of damage. A knife would cut, a javelin would pierce, a club would smash, etc. Good idea Soulrakyn.

The club technically already exists in the form of metal age maces, but maybe a wooden or stone one wouldn't be a bad idea...

basically its blunt, pierce, and slash that we're dividing weaponry under atm, but where are halberds, lances, the long ranged melee weaponry with a slower swing speed?

The line of what weapons go in vs not is arbitrary. The devs need to code em all in and have the artists design em... It's a lot of work.

Why would you need a club if you could use a rock ?

actually that would be pretty neat, being able to throw rocks at stuff, it wouldn't be very efficient, maybe barely more damage than your fist, but it would be an interesting thing to add some form of range to early game

and plus, i wanna throw a rock through someone's window

I do like the idea of the club.

And it would be more efficient when making a recipe with a log in the middle, a knife or axe under it (maybe placing 3 rocks on top left and right to make a spiked club - so the club would not be your first night's weapon of choice).

actually that would be pretty neat, being able to throw rocks at stuff, it wouldn't be very efficient, maybe barely more damage than your fist, but it would be an interesting thing to add some form of range to early game

and plus, i wanna throw a rock through someone's window

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/3776-a-few-suggestions-on-stone-age-weapons/

Clubs are horrendously terrible inefficent weapons that really are never used.

What is your basis for "really are never used"?  Clubs of various types have been used for millennia, even in cultures that had access to iron and steel, whether for warfare, law enforcement, or hunting.  Simple, all-wooden clubs could be crafted to have a knob toward the end (the Irish shillelagh, the Zulu iwisa) or be long and fairly straight (but still one-handed, like Eskrima sticks, baseball/cricket bats, or tool handles).  They can have stone or metal incorporated into them, or be made entirely of the other materials.  I think you're seriously discounting the viability of "clubs", most especially in a game that operates in these technological eras.

Are you being serious right now?

Clubs are still used today. We live in a world with guns, tanks, and tomahawk missiles and yet the modern police forces still virtually universally employ the baton as a standard weapon. What is the baton? A club. What is one of the most common improvised weapons in the United States? The baseball bat.

Have you ever been hit with a baseball bat? On purpose or by accident? They hit hard enough to split flesh and break bone.Clubs are extremely efficient weapons, capable of crushing bone and organs, rendering enemies unconscious, and generally being light. They don't look like the silly clubs in fictional cavemen cartoons. A solid rod of dense wood with a heavy knob on one end is an extremely deadly, surprisingly light, and extremely easy to use weapon. Which is why, as Solanus noted, they have special names and historical and modern usage in cultures all around the world.

I think a wooden club would be an excellent addition to the early game. Realistically you should only be able to use certain woods to fashion a particularly effective club (soft wood makes a poor club as the low density means the club itself absorbs much of the kinetic energy, where a harder, denser wood transfers more of its kinetic energy into the target), but since for the most part we're not being picky about what kinds of rocks make good tools, we can probably just skip that.

wouldnt a hammer be kinda like a club used to smash stuff?

Not really. A club could be without the big lump of rock/metal/mineral to be used as a weapon, it would only have to be thick enough. Making it more "clubby" would require the club to be cut out of wood log with a knife or something.

Another thing, isn't the hammer already being used as a weapon?

They could modify the Knife + Log recipe to a sort of whittling or carving mechanic, much like making leather into armor, instead of making bowls by default. Bowls can already still be made with three plank blocks, but through whittling, you could also make bowls with something like an upside-down pickaxe head shape. Through whittling, you could turn a log into a wooden club by either making a (upside-down) shovel shape, mace shape, or at least just removing the sides.

I like the whittling idea. Making bowls out of logs could be kind of like making multiple knives from one rock, also, every time you go to make stuff, you could accidentaly mess it up, but maybe be able to salvage it into something else. The club idea sounds great to me, as a crushing weapon isnt avalable until  the metal mace. Also, i would sugest as a very begining wepon, a branch off the ground that would be weak and quickly break  but a decent weapon to use really early on.

I like the club idea but to be useful we need to be able to sneak on animals to kill then.

also it should not be as efficient against skeletons as a metal mace.

Having in mind that we are already able to use the ax as a weapon.

Honestly, if we remove the hammer as a weapon (I mean yeah hammers can certainly deal damage, but the same hammer you use for metalworking is not a good weapon, it has to be an actual battle hammer like so), clubs would be an excellent stone-age source of crushing damage. Perfect for fending off those gods-awful skeletons. Spiders? Javelin 'em to the wall. Zombies? A stone knife'll cut their heads clean off. But skeletons are a DAMNABLE nuisance early game, and a club could turn 'em into bonemeal with the same efficiency as knives and zombies.Not to say it would do damage like a mace, that's insane... you still switch to a sword when you get the chance, even though knives can cut zombies apart just fine. But knife -> sword means zombies go from 10 hits to 2 hits. Getting a mace means 2-shotting skeletons after previously requiring something like 50 damn strikes! It's bloody madness is what it is. I vote for clubs.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0