Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Hektik

Major framerate issue.

6 posts in this topic

So, I've searched the forum up and down, and I have never found a fix for my issue.

Problem is, game is playable for about 2 minutes (if I'm lucky) Then my framerate plummets to a whopping 1 frame per 5 seconds. I've seen people with a similar issue, problem is it was usually related to Optifine, which I do not have installed. I have tried literally everything my Tech guy brain can come up with. I uninstalled my JRE6 runtime from my x64 Java, uninstalled and re installed x86 Java, Attempted to adjust memory allocation for TFC (Game just doesn't start at all if I go above the default 1 gig.) Installed Optfine and turned off better grass, then uninstalled it. Re downloaded TFC 3 different times.

My only thought is an issue with Windows 8, which would make no sense as both 7 and 8 run on an identical kernal, with a different shell, which wouldn't change how executables are ran. I need help here. I've done literally everything I can possibly think of to do for this short of "downgrading" to WIndows 7.

My PC's specs:

Core i5 2500K

16 Gigs of DDR 1600

GeForce GTX 560Ti

Help me. :(

well, if by memory allocation you mean the ram allocated to the java runtime then that is wierd, i just tried running minecraft with 6 gigs and it worked fine, try the TFC launcher located in the downloads section, or try this as a batch file.

java -Xms1024m -Xmx2048m -Xincgc -cp "%APPDATA%.minecraftbinminecraft.jar;%APPDATA%.minecraftbinjinput.jar;%APPDATA%.minecraftbinlwjgl.jar;%APPDATA%.minecraftbinlwjgl_util.jar" -Djava.library.path="%APPDATA%.minecraftbinnatives" net.minecraft.client.Minecraft

That should at least have enough power to it.

Otherwise try a whole new install again, configs deleted, new jars, and the like.

I hope this helps :)

So, I've searched the forum up and down, and I have never found a fix for my issue.

Problem is, game is playable for about 2 minutes (if I'm lucky) Then my framerate plummets to a whopping 1 frame per 5 seconds. I've seen people with a similar issue, problem is it was usually related to Optifine, which I do not have installed. I have tried literally everything my Tech guy brain can come up with. I uninstalled my JRE6 runtime from my x64 Java, uninstalled and re installed x86 Java, Attempted to adjust memory allocation for TFC (Game just doesn't start at all if I go above the default 1 gig.) Installed Optfine and turned off better grass, then uninstalled it. Re downloaded TFC 3 different times.

My only thought is an issue with Windows 8, which would make no sense as both 7 and 8 run on an identical kernal, with a different shell, which wouldn't change how executables are ran. I need help here. I've done literally everything I can possibly think of to do for this short of "downgrading" to WIndows 7.

My PC's specs:

Core i5 2500K

16 Gigs of DDR 1600

GeForce GTX 560Ti

Help me. :(

I had the exact same problem, but I managed to fix it:

The inability to allocate more than 1G RAM is due to your Java still being the 32bit version; most likely, there is an old version of Java laying around and your computer is set to use it instead of the 64bit one - this was the cause of the problem for me.

WHAT DO?:

Go to this website (for instance, first thing Google spewed forth) and follow the advice to find Environmental Variables:

http://www.technoon....-windows-8.html

Find the PATH variable

Find the string which points to your Java folder

Change the string to point to the proper, new 64bit Java

If you are using a laptop, make sure your computer uses your graphics card and not the integrated crap for Java

Adjust the RAM to 1G-2G setting (or more, if you need)

Play TFC

Get killed by a spider

You could also try using some of the incremental GC options for the JVM. If you have good frame rates for a while then all of the sudden it starts to get really slow, it may be the JVM spending to much time in GC. While personally I dont think GC is your issue, it is possible, and I have experienced similar problems with other java applications. This is an article about GC tuning for java, probably way more indepth than you need but here it is http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/gc-tuning-6-140523.html. The big part you might wanna toy with is Inremental GC, and the GC ratio. These reduce the amount of time CPU spends collecting garbage. It can cause the app to use more RAM overall, but in some situations can increase your performance otherwise.

You could also try using some of the incremental GC options for the JVM. If you have good frame rates for a while then all of the sudden it starts to get really slow, it may be the JVM spending to much time in GC. While personally I dont think GC is your issue, it is possible, and I have experienced similar problems with other java applications. This is an article about GC tuning for java, probably way more indepth than you need but here it is http://www.oracle.co...g-6-140523.html. The big part you might wanna toy with is Inremental GC, and the GC ratio. These reduce the amount of time CPU spends collecting garbage. It can cause the app to use more RAM overall, but in some situations can increase your performance otherwise.

• If response time is more important than overall throughput and garbage collection pauses must be kept shorter than approximately one second, then
  • select the concurrent collector with -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC. If only one or two processors are available, consider using incremental mode, described below.
These guidelines provide only a starting point for selecting a collector because performance is dependent on the size of the heap, the amount of live data maintained by the application and the number and speed of available processors. Pause times are particularly sensitive to these factors, so the threshold of one second mentioned above is only approximate: the parallel collector will experience pause times longer than one second on many data size and hardware combinations; conversely, the concurrent collector may not be able to keep pauses shorter than one second on some combinations.

erm... not sure how it double posted while I was editing...