Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cornbread4u2

A new precursor age

21 posts in this topic

this is gonna sound weird but i think a precursor age should be added, like a leather age, where hunter gathering/foraging and farming is more focused, or you could go straight to the tanning rack and then make strips to reinforce the sticks to make the tools that can actually break wood or stone. we kinda rush into spelunking and metallurgy pretty quick

Could be interesting, but we couldn't have creepers and such in the mod if we need to gather stuff in the open without weapons... so hard killing multiple creepers with your fists.

Could be interesting, but we couldn't have creepers and such in the mod if we need to gather stuff in the open without weapons... so hard killing multiple creepers with your fists.

that could add to the game becoming progressively easier cause you ARE progressing through metals/ages

that could add to the game becoming progressively easier cause you ARE progressing through metals/ages

might be possible if firepits repelled hostiles though...

I think I like this idea because it would be a buffer to delay that jump into the mining portion of the game. I believe it'd be fun to actually have to spend a few weeks working on farming and agriculture before I can get into mining (granted agriculture is expanded to farm different foods).

This. I really love a lot of the more complicated aspects to crafting but something like this is a must for the inexperienced to still enjoy this mod at first, then learn the complicated parts later.

This. I really love a lot of the more complicated aspects to crafting but something like this is a must for the inexperienced to still enjoy this mod at first, then learn the complicated parts later.

thats were kinda where i was going with the idea. run around, find flint, make tool, chop tree, METALLURGY! kinda the progression and its not very forgiving. although people will still complain that they cant punch trees right away, imo i think it would add to the games kinda weak start, this mod has already gone above and beyond vMinecraft, y not take the extra step and make it that much more interesting.

I think this is a parallel progression with tool levels as opposed to a precursor. You cant eat an axe afterall, but you can till the ground easier with metal hoes than stone ones. I would actually expect the agricultural stuff that is coming down the pipe to address this area somewhat. I am just not sure if its a required age to force people to farm before seeking ores.

I think this is a parallel progression with tool levels as opposed to a precursor. You cant eat an axe afterall, but you can till the ground easier with metal hoes than stone ones. I would actually expect the agricultural stuff that is coming down the pipe to address this area somewhat. I am just not sure if its a required age to force people to farm before seeking ores.

I don't think we want it to be a requirement, just another part of the mod as well. I want to see SMP communities with people having different roles like; Farmer, Woodcutter, Blacksmith, Hunter, etc. Miner and Blacksmith are the only roles focused on in the mod at the moment, so adding more content for the other roles just seems like natural progression anyhow.

I bet you're right with the issues being addressed in the Agriculture update though.

I could see some nice areas where having 2 blacksmiths working together would speed up the process. I like the idea of seeing teamwork done to get things to work better, and the benefit of working with someone should be enough to encourage cooperation.

what i meant as precursor was a more gradual entrance to the metalurgy stage is all. maybe a little leatherworking, or some farming is needed for your first real tools for metal ones

what i meant as precursor was a more gradual entrance to the metalurgy stage is all. maybe a little leatherworking, or some farming is needed for your first real tools for metal ones

You could incentivize agriculture, and leatherworking before metallurgy by making it hard to survive without a base farm, and some basic leather armor/items.

That being you can still get to metallurgy immediately, but food, and not dying quickly may be a very large problem until you focus on them.

You could incentivize agriculture, and leatherworking before metallurgy by making it hard to survive without a base farm, and some basic leather armor/items.

That being you can still get to metallurgy immediately, but food, and not dying quickly may be a very large problem until you focus on them.

Incentives for agriculture: make wild animals you can eat a lot less frequent. In fact, I will make a new suggestion from this idea, create a feeding trough with wheat and some planks and that makes an area within a fence 'spawnable' for any of those animals. Further, the mobs we can eat, shouldn't drop as much food if you just "kill" it. This would go along with the other suggestion thread where these mobs essentially leave a corpse that allows us to skin it and harvest meat and leather so to speak. Now, on the side of agriculture, we could make it a little bit faster maybe or even somewhat easier (hell just adding a variety of plants would be incentive for me) farming ability. But we'll see how that turns out when he finishes up the new agriculture system.

So Tie-ins for butchering, and ranching?

I'd still like to make food a bit more of a serious system, I mean you can make your giant fields wheat, but damn, you'll have to commit some serious compost/resources to that in the long run if you don't start up with some semblance of maintenance.

My cooking suggestion could start hear. The beginnings of gathering and hunting leading up to early aged meals and then into the full blown fireplace, oven, hand pump and icebox section once you do reach the metal age. Hurray progression!!!

(my post is half bump sorry. I'd like to see more talk of leather so I also wanted to bring it to the first page.)

My cooking suggestion could start hear. The beginnings of gathering and hunting leading up to early aged meals and then into the full blown fireplace, oven, hand pump and icebox section once you do reach the metal age. Hurray progression!!!

(my post is half bump sorry. I'd like to see more talk of leather so I also wanted to bring it to the first page.)

lol well thanks for the bump. but yeah i included this topic cause of all the talk around the forums of new leather/armors/ flint tools are unrealistic. i also wanted to see if bioxx has this same idea when the agriculture overhaul is out.

I think it's already tough enough to deal with dying of starvation on day 3 without eating zombie meat. That aside, I think there are a few mechanics I'd like to see to increase the importance of food management:

Killing cows and pigs can drop a single "slab" of meat, that can either be cooked and prepared into 1-2 low-quality meals or they can be butchered (with the appropriate tools) for a greater yield. (Basically the same as converting logs into planks in current TFC)

Eggs and sheep should be edible. (As well as squid and cats and dogs, but...)

If a fix is ever implemented to make metal cool while in a chest, the same mechanic could apply to food: meat goes bad if it isn't chilled or jerked. Even different grains would rot at different rates. Without any of those, stockpiling food won't work.

well you could always make it so that food cant be stored in the chests unless they are a special type of chest, ie icebox, or maybe if it has been salted/dried beyond the point where it will spoil. the drier meats taking longer to eat/not as filling or something to make the game balanced or maybe even more interesting

-Tanning leather is a great idea, a very real possibility and easily implemented.

If possible, it would be more realistic if killing a mob resulted in a "dead body" entity that lays on the ground, and which you collect the drops from using some sort of tool (be it a flaying knife or whatnot). It'll take some work to collect that leather!

-I would like to have syrup on my flapjacks, with some bacon and fried egg on the side. It would be like roleplaying a life I could never have.

-Perhaps you could make an evaporative refrigerator to store your cold goods in. An evaporative refrigerator is a very simple device made of two clay pots with a water-holding material in between such as sand. Water is poured into the sand, and as it evaporates it cools the inner clay pot to a very modest cold temperature.

This is something we're looking into, remember agriculture is coming soon, which is going to add a whole slew of things to do on the surface. Bioxx and i agree that creepers don't really add anything to the game, so expect them to find a deeper, darker, place to live.

Hmm, one way I could see a possible leather age being fit in is requiring tools to make use of leather strips in order to fix the material to the handle. This would probably require the flint omnitool to be phased out, which honestly seemed a bit odd to me. I could just suggest the flint itself, or if you require a tool with durability, make sharpened flint recipe using two flints via knapping. It could also fit in with the other suggestions of tanning and butchering as you probably don't need stone to start those industries.

Could just replace the middle stick on tool recipes with leather strips. You could use flint pieces in the tools main material to make the tools necessary to advance to mining stone. That way you could still use the middle section for strips in the crafting and just call it a flint knife for the defend yourself early age part.

edit: noticed that i am using the beta1j as i had some odd issues with 2p16 so if my knowledge is outdated don't mind me :P

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0