Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bihlbo

Moving water blocks

9 posts in this topic

Recently I spawned at the top of a high mountain. It took so long to find a way down without getting killed that I died anyway... of dehydration. Granted, that was unavoidable, but when I did get down to the ocean I wanted to move water back to my mountain and live up there. But there's no way to do that?

Some ideas:

Rain Collection

Leave barrel out in the rain = you get water. Scoop it out with a bucket for your crops or drink it to not die.

Waterproof the Land

Treat some planks in a barrel full of tannin to get treated planks. You can cover other blocks with treated planks or metal sheets to waterproof the surface. If you drop the contents of a bucket onto a waterproofed surface, the water flows to any non-proofed spot and drains out - but if it can't find any it persists. Fill up a trough enough (maybe from buckets of collected rainwater) and it counts as a water source block for the purpose of drinking and irrigating crops, but it cannot replicate itself and it won't flow into a sluce. Make a cistern - you know, like a human would - to collect rainwater so you can tame the harshest climate. Like the plains.

Ice Farming

Right now, I can drop the contents of a bucket in a cold enough area and make ice. If I break the ice I just made a water source block. So, with the right conditions you can move and replicate water, but only to places that get cold enough. It kind of feels like that hasn't been coded out yet, but bucket water shouldn't be able to freeze at all.

However, ice is water. I'd like to be able to drop a bunch of ice in a barrel, seal it, and once it melts in the sun or because it's near a heat source, the barrel is full of water. Now the ice I harvested in the winter and kept underground in my mountain home will give me drinking water in the summer.

Ice could be treated much like logs. Break it with a tool to get pieces of ice (not water). You can shift-place a piece of ice to make a stack of ice, like a stack of logs. It doesn't melt as long as either the temperature is low enough or it is in the dark and covered from sunlight - and then if this stack of ice does melt, it's a puddle that flows out like one placed by a bucket. So I can either break an ice block with my fist or a torch to turn it back into water (otherwise the ocean would dry up) or I can use a tool to collect ice chunks that can only be turned back into usable water through technology, and never into source blocks.

Moving water source blocks is available, however it is an endgame thing as it requires a red steel bucket. Until you reach that point, you can have a wooden bucket filled with water that places finite water and you simply dig a 1x1x1 hole, place the water, jump in and wait until your thirst is quenched. Then you may pick the water back up and fill the hole back in, or simply place the water hole somewhere near your house and leave it there

It didn't do that last time I tried it. I placed the bucket water and it drained right out. I didn't think to jump in to drink, but it didn't last very long. Are you saying I could have lugged up 9 buckets full of water and made a 3x3 pool out of them?

The biggest I did was a 3x1. Go, try it in a test-world.

Else the 1x1 hole with water always worked for me.

It didn't do that last time I tried it. I placed the bucket water and it drained right out. I didn't think to jump in to drink, but it didn't last very long. Are you saying I could have lugged up 9 buckets full of water and made a 3x3 pool out of them?

No, you canNOT make infinite water with the wooden buckets, only with buckets made out of Red Steel. Unless the wooden bucket water is contained in a 1x1 hole like below, it will disappear.

Posted Image

I can make long channels to moisten my crops by digging a 2x2 shaft and continually keep placing water in there until it's full. When winter comes, I smash the ice and the water turns to source blocks (and keep my crops moist).

Well I feel dumb now. I never tried digging a hole for it, but that makes a lot of sense. Maybe the suggestion should have been "update the wiki to let people know how water works." Maybe I can do that myself, make up for my emberrasment. :D

It will only disappear if the hole is too big, but you can make a 1x1 hole, fill it, enlarge it to 2x1, fill it, and so on. I made my irrigation system with wooden buckets.

The best solution to this issue would be to get better water physics, but who knows if/when that'll ever happen?