Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
gufferdk

Advanced smithing technique (always tools with full durability)

14 posts in this topic

Before i say anything else i just want to note that english is not my primary language so please don't get mad if there is any spelling or grammar mistakes in the text.

I just recenly got to a point in a survival world were it was time to make the first pickaxe and i wondered if there was some kind of way to make sure that the pickaxe got out at full durability so i wouldn't waste my precious metal. I searched and didn't find anything. Then i started testing it myself. After some testing i realized that a specific action on the anvil (like a punch or a quech) would always move the green arrow a specific amount of pixels regardless of the anviltype, hammertype, target tool and used metal. Then i started counting pixels and this is the result:

Redacted By Bioxx - Obviously its possible to exploit the current system if you want to try and be mathematical about it but forcing these hidden numbers upon others is not permitted on these forums.

I hope that this guide was helpful :)/> -gufferdk

Please note that i did not post this only as a guide but also to show that there is something rotten about the blacksmithing mechanincs.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but you just destroyed the biggest fun part of blacksmithing!

Where is the fun if you think like a computer and work like a robot ??

You never get surprised.... but maybe you will when your post gets deleted.

if you want to make a point, that you absolutely cannot without this kind of information, at least put it in a spoiler...

The game is better when you dont know what you are doing, actually

I am disgusted by you people.

I have no problems with people speaking out when they disagree with something, but censorship for the sake of censorship, under the pretence of strong words such as 'forced' and 'destroyed' is petty and tyrannical.

I was introduced to terrafirmacraft only recently and came to the forums to meet like minded people and learn more about the mod, yet this is my first experience with the TFC community?

why does this forum have rules against discussing the technical details of the mod?

why even have a 'guides' section if we are not allowed to teach others how the mod works?

Didn't you stop to think that the post you've taken all of 20 seconds to delete was a lot of hard work?

And yet you decided to undermine one of the people you're supposed to be supporting.

I understand that TFC doesn't owe me anything, it's free software after all. But simple honesty, and decency, should not only come with services I pay for.

Ugh.

<snip>

I don't agree with censoring numbers as well, because it's restricting a portion of their community that do like to see numbers on everything. As you said, though, it's a free service. If they don't want you to know about the mod down to the numbers (or at the very least share that information) then they can censor it if they want.

I'd personally like to see a thread or forum where people can talk about it and people who don't want the 'magic of the mod' to be ruined for them could simply not read it. I mean honestly, if I know one way is more efficient than another but don't have the resources, I'll use the less efficient way until I have enough resources. It wouldn't stop me from using the less efficient way.

The only thing it would do is make me aware of the best way, so I wouldn't have to figure it out myself and waste time unless I do the research myself. Oh well, though. It's entirely up to them and since they don't want the numbers on here we have to respect that.

I am quite sure you could legally exchange the information through PM. Hell, I am curious what's the mechanism behind the thing as well, even though I usually don't forge more than a few pieces of equipment per game (by the time forging is absolutely necessary to progress further I have most of the goals I set for myself achieved and little of a reason to work further).

In words of Dunk (admin) TFC Is like a magic trick: at first it is magical, great, because you dont know what is behind. Once you find what its behind, the magic is lost, and it will never come back.

In words of Dunk (admin) TFC Is like a magic trick: at first it is magical, great, because you dont know what is behind. Once you find what its behind, the magic is lost, and it will never come back.

That might be true for some people, but I'll put it this way... do magicians stop loving a magic trick after they know how it works? I'm willing to bet that in some cases magicians love and appreciate the trick to an even higher degree simply because they know how it works and what it took to accomplish it. I understand though, not everybody is a 'magician' so for some people it will ruin their fun. That's why I think there should be a way to discuss it here where people can decide if they would like to read it, whether it's a specific forum, thread, or required spoiler tags.

Either way, it's something that seems to have been being censored for quite a while now, so I'm not really expecting it to change. I understand people will just have to respect that the mod authors don't like them posting numbers, but I still feel like it's a shame because I'm sure for some people it's restricting them from talking about what they would like to. It is what it is, though. At least they allow us to dig through the numbers on our own if we have the desire to, I do appreciate that.

Can someone PM me those numbers?

It's 42. ;)

The code is public just poke around in their to find the info. That is what anyone else would need to do to PM you the values.

Well, it isn't too hard to figure out, either.

There is a specific combination of actions that will always shift you by the smallest unit used by the system, with this, you can calculate the value of certain actions off the top of your head, and adjust smithing recipies accordingly from a "centered" point.

This thread is over 2 years old and keeps getting necro'd, so I'm just going to lock it.