Edit Style
Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Surface ores = underground veins?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Zeebie

Zeebie

Freshly Spawned

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi folks- I just installed the mod and I'm trying to figure out the prospector's pick. I've seen the useful advice on the use of the pro pick here. However, I'm having trouble getting started. I have an area where I have found lots of surface ores (about a dozen pieces within a 10 block radius). But the prospectors pick says there is nothing of interest in the area. All the pro pick guides assume that you start with an area with detectable ores. Is it possible to have an area that's rich on the surface but nothing below? If so, how does one find a place to start prospecting? Thanks for any help.

PanRouge

PanRouge

Wood Cutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTennessee
Yeah. The presence of surface ores hint that there should be ore somewhere in that first layer. I typically mark all of the spots out and dig directly down in the center of the circle, making a spiral staircase. Test for the ore every 13 blocks down with the prospecting pick. Eventually, you'll find traces. Dig another 13 blocks down, then forwards until you reach traces, then the opposite direction until you reach traces. I mark the "trace block" with a torch. Find the dead center between the two torches and dig left until traces and in the opposite direction until you found traces. Throughout this whole process, you should have bumped into the ore. If you haven't, the ore may be in the ceiling 2-3 blocks above you. But, I don't think that I've ever ran into this problem with surface ores. You can do the same thing with deeper ores, but you have a greater chance of missing the ore somewhere in this process because of, well... mining can sometimes be unpredictable.

Gwtheyrn

Gwtheyrn

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationPort Townsend, WA U.S.A.
The prospector's pick will very rarely get you a reading at the dirt level. You'll need to dig down a bit and use it on stone. Also note that it often returns false negatives.

aliceingame

aliceingame

Apprentice Blacksmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationQC, Canada
The pro pick scan the block you hit, plus 12 in every directions. Basically, 13 blocks under your feet when you hit the ground. However, small pieces of ore will spawn over top layer veins, it's not said that it is in reach distance for the pro pick. For example, if the small ore spawn 25 blocks over the vein, then you will have to digg 12 blocks to get a reading.

My advice would be to dig the dirt up to rock level and use the pro pick again.

Everybody is welcome to translate TCF, please visit the official TFC Translation topic.

To give a Japanese touch to TFC, you can Try Alice Japanese Pack.

Zeebie

Zeebie

Freshly Spawned

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks folks. The problem was indeed that the vein was deeply buried under dirt. Do veins always appear at the same depth below the start of the rock layer? I've noticed that the pro pick guides always say to dig exactly 12 down. Or does that 12 come from the range of the pick?

Gwtheyrn

Gwtheyrn

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationPort Townsend, WA U.S.A.
It comes from the range of the pick. It scans a 25 x 25 x 25 area for ores, centered on the block you target. In other words, 12 blocks out in all directions.

aliceingame

aliceingame

Apprentice Blacksmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationQC, Canada
the pro pick tell you that there is ore inside of the box, so if you have any kind of reading, even sample, you can assume that by diffing 12 further in that direction, you would be really close to the vein.
I don't think it always spawn at the same level from the top of stone layer, i noticed that many of my starting vein where around the same level, but that's not a rule.

Everybody is welcome to translate TCF, please visit the official TFC Translation topic.

To give a Japanese touch to TFC, you can Try Alice Japanese Pack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users