Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zeebie

Surface ores = underground veins?

7 posts in this topic

Hi folks- I just installed the mod and I'm trying to figure out the prospector's pick. I've seen the useful advice on the use of the pro pick here. However, I'm having trouble getting started. I have an area where I have found lots of surface ores (about a dozen pieces within a 10 block radius). But the prospectors pick says there is nothing of interest in the area. All the pro pick guides assume that you start with an area with detectable ores. Is it possible to have an area that's rich on the surface but nothing below? If so, how does one find a place to start prospecting? Thanks for any help.

Yeah. The presence of surface ores hint that there should be ore somewhere in that first layer. I typically mark all of the spots out and dig directly down in the center of the circle, making a spiral staircase. Test for the ore every 13 blocks down with the prospecting pick. Eventually, you'll find traces. Dig another 13 blocks down, then forwards until you reach traces, then the opposite direction until you reach traces. I mark the "trace block" with a torch. Find the dead center between the two torches and dig left until traces and in the opposite direction until you found traces. Throughout this whole process, you should have bumped into the ore. If you haven't, the ore may be in the ceiling 2-3 blocks above you. But, I don't think that I've ever ran into this problem with surface ores. You can do the same thing with deeper ores, but you have a greater chance of missing the ore somewhere in this process because of, well... mining can sometimes be unpredictable.

The prospector's pick will very rarely get you a reading at the dirt level. You'll need to dig down a bit and use it on stone. Also note that it often returns false negatives.

The pro pick scan the block you hit, plus 12 in every directions. Basically, 13 blocks under your feet when you hit the ground. However, small pieces of ore will spawn over top layer veins, it's not said that it is in reach distance for the pro pick. For example, if the small ore spawn 25 blocks over the vein, then you will have to digg 12 blocks to get a reading.

My advice would be to dig the dirt up to rock level and use the pro pick again.

Thanks folks. The problem was indeed that the vein was deeply buried under dirt. Do veins always appear at the same depth below the start of the rock layer? I've noticed that the pro pick guides always say to dig exactly 12 down. Or does that 12 come from the range of the pick?

It comes from the range of the pick. It scans a 25 x 25 x 25 area for ores, centered on the block you target. In other words, 12 blocks out in all directions.

the pro pick tell you that there is ore inside of the box, so if you have any kind of reading, even sample, you can assume that by diffing 12 further in that direction, you would be really close to the vein.

I don't think it always spawn at the same level from the top of stone layer, i noticed that many of my starting vein where around the same level, but that's not a rule.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0