Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Rev

Manganese. No not Magnesium...

14 posts in this topic

Manganese.

No. not Magnesium.  its Manganese, You've probably never heard of this but its a transition metal on the periodic table atomic number 25 right next to iron.

• It has a melting point of 2275F which is around cast iron.
  • Manganese is like iron. You can grind it, alloy it, and forge it..
  • It was discovered in 1770 and was isolated form the ore in 1774.
  • Manganese is used in alloying today in U.S. coins, 6061 Aluminum alloys, and Steel alloying production.

Manganese does come in native form like copper, gold and silver and there are a two to 3 ores that contain it. such as:

• PsilomelanePosted Image
  • Spiegeleisen
  • and this one which I couldn't find the name. Posted Image

Now your probably thinking " that's pointless when you can just have iron or steel"

Well yes maybe but,  manganese has a hardness level of 6.0 and iron is a 4.0 . making Manganese a much stronger metal.  Its also the 12th most abundant metal on the earths crust. manganese is used to alloy with iron to create steel in productions to make the iron harder. 

So all in all Personally I think that Manganese would be nice to have because......It adds more variety,(even though there's already a ton of it) and Another component to steel production making it more difficult and adding more realism to the alloying process. It also resembles iron and rusts like it too. 

Thank you for reading  :D  :D I hope to actually melt this metal in real life soon! B) 

post-3886-0-44532000-1373065061_thumb.jp

post-3886-0-68855100-1373065177.jpg

post-3886-0-72694000-1373065187_thumb.jp

In reality, you don't want hard, rigid materials in your weapons (except spears because of the small size of the contact point) because the metal will shatter instead of bending or vibrating.

i would like to think that things like saws or other tools could work well with a harder metal.

Applied to the rest of the metals , you could add to them that they are better suited for different tools, than other metals...

it would be nice :)

Yeah, There's another metal that hardens other metals is called antimony but its very very toxic.

In reality, you don't want hard, rigid materials in your weapons (except spears because of the small size of the contact point) because the metal will shatter instead of bending or vibrating.

There is a difference between hardness and brittleness. Something can be very hard but not at all brittle (like diamond) or very brittle, but not hard at all (like toast). I know these aren't the best examples, but really, something that is brittle is only that way because of points where there is little connectivity between other points near it, and as such, the support structure is too weak to keep the material from breaking apart. 

In fact, in many tools, like chisel, axe, sword and knife, you can have different kind of steel. The idea is to have a really hard metal for the sharp edge, so it will stay sharper longer, and you want to have a softer outside, that will give more flexibility to the tool and prevent it from breaking in pieces.

People don't make tools out of manganese they instead make Strong tools out of Manganese Steel to strengthen it.

Nice suggestion, but you said yourself that this wasn't discovered until 1770. TFC's time frame, officially, has been determined to end in the 1500's, and even that date is stretching it. So sorry, I'm almost sure this will not be added

There is a difference between hardness and brittleness. Something can be very hard but not at all brittle (like diamond) or very brittle, but not hard at all (like toast). I know these aren't the best examples, but really, something that is brittle is only that way because of points where there is little connectivity between other points near it, and as such, the support structure is too weak to keep the material from breaking apart. 

Diamond is brittle. Smack a diamond with a mallet on an anvil, and the mallet and anvil will be marred but usable, but the diamond will shatter. This is because diamond doesn't take much strain to reach its failure point, and the energy absorbed during this process is the area under its stress-strain curve. If there is little strain, then the fact that the stress at this point is much greater does not matter much. Only a very small amount of energy is required to bring the diamond to this point.

Non-metallic crystals of all types are brittle because their bonds cannot be displaced very far without breaking — they accumulate little strain. In a metal, the atoms can be displaced much more without breaking the metal, because the electrons are already delocalized in a Fermi gas spread throughout the metal body, so they can accumulate a lot more strain.

Nice suggestion, but you said yourself that this wasn't discovered until 1770. TFC's time frame, officially, has been determined to end in the 1500's, and even that date is stretching it. So sorry, I'm almost sure this will not be added

well if tfc has buckets that can pick up lava. shit i think this can be added... lol

To be fair, I think alloying manganese into the highest tier steels would be more believable then silver/gold/whatever.

well if tfc has buckets that can pick up lava. shit i think this can be added... lol

The lava buckets are a 'believability - realistic' issue. The manganese not being added has the same reasoning as why guns won't be added into TFC. Time window issues.

The lava buckets are a 'believability - realistic' issue. The manganese not being added has the same reasoning as why guns won't be added into TFC. Time window issues.

time of discovery != technology being able to handle the material.

Why would we want another metal type? They're all exactly the same, unless you implement some metal that has different qualities other than more or less durability. There is really no point in adding more metals simply for the heck of it and because they exist in the real world. We already have high tier and low tier metals, what would be the difference with this one? Why not be content with red and blue steel as end-game OP metals?