Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vagabond

Questions By Vagabond

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

[solved] 1) Is TFC compatable with Rei's Minimap? It is.

[solved] 2) Does TFC have a "chunkloader"? If not, would ChickenChunks be compatable with TFC? Roaming around the world, I would like my crops to continue to grow even when I leave the chunk. Didn't test, but crops apparently still work right even if out of the chunk.

[solved] 3) Do animals breed in the wild? I play semi-nomadic hunter-gatherer-esque, but I always try to leave a male and female animal in a group, as well as replant as many trees as I can in case I return to the area. I just haven't noticed the herds replenishing themselves, though this might be because I leave the chunk? Not yet. Have to be manually bred.

[solved] 4) The wiki says gravel has a higher chance of ore, while sand a higher chance of gems. Am I doing something wrong, because I've gone through about ten stacks of gravel and found ZERO ore, only a crap load of gems? (Everyone take a moment to mourn the river that I've gutted in order to collect the gravel.) Sluices have a 100m radius, and sixty block depth of area they check against for metal. When looking for a place to call home, check surface rocks for metals, as this will give you an idea whether or not the area will be suitable for long term settlement.

Cheers,

Michael

Do sluices scan above themselves for ore? I'm using them underground to search a larger area than I could with the propick (Thank god for oceans on top).

-Sluices only scan below them, not above.

1. Yes

2. I did not try that yet, but i don't see why it shouldn't work. The better question is, why do you think you need it. The way crops work in TFC, they don't need the chunk to be loaded all the time.

3. No, not yet anyway. Maybe it will come in B77.

1. Yes

2. I did not try that yet, but i don't see why it shouldn't work. The better question is, why do you think you need it. The way crops work in TFC, they don't need the chunk to be loaded all the time.

3. No, not yet anyway. Maybe it will come in B77.

Hello!

I haven't tried out the farming mechanics yet, so I was unsure if the mod supplied a method of keeping the crops growing while you are away from the area they are planted in, and I thought that if it didn't it would also help the animals breed in the while if the only prerequisite to it was that the chunk had to be loaded, but you are saying they will not breed at all in the wild, or just when the chunk is loaded?

Cheers,

Michael

Seeing as this thread already has some questions I'm going to hijack it and post one of my own...

Do sluices scan above themselves for ore? I'm using them underground to search a larger area than I could with the propick (Thank god for oceans on top).

Animals do not produce offspring at all unless you force breeding to happen with fodder. So if you hunt all the animals in an area, they are all gone. To get more you will have to travel or feed some to induce breeding. Squid are the only exception; squid simply spawn at random, just as they do in vanilla MC.

I don't know about sluices scanning above themselves, but my guess is they do.

Sluices only scan below them, not above.

Animal Breeding and Crop Growth is based on the in game time that has passed. Check you calendar by pressing "N" by default. Not on whether the chunk has been loaded or not. So if you bred your cows and then go off on an adventure to come back a year later, there will be a calf that has been born.

4) The wiki says gravel has a higher chance of ore, while sand a higher chance of gems. Am I doing something wrong, because I've gone through about ten stacks of gravel and found ZERO ore, only a crap load of gems? (Everyone take a moment to mourn the river that I've gutted in order to collect the gravel.)

Hello,

Updated thread with new question, and closed my old questions (putting answers after them for future reference).

Cheers,

Michael

You are probably in an area with no ore veins below you.

You will only get ore from an sluice if there is an ore vein in the area that the sluice scans. It is not a magic way to pull ore out of thin air. If there is no ore veins 100 meters in each direction (NWSE) and 60 blocks down, you can put all the gravel you want into it, but you will only get gems.

The best way to find out where you need to place your sluice is by breaking surface rocks. If when breaking the surface rock, you get a small piece of ore, then there is an ore vein of that type somewhere nearby. Placing a sluice in that area is much more likely to yield small ore when you feed it gravel.

You've probably either need to start a new map, or travel around until you find an area with ore deposits nearby.

The sluice checks for ore in the environment (the details are on the wiki) to determine which ores to return. It may be that this also dictates the quantity of ores found. At any rate I'd expect zero return if there were no ores in the scanned area. If you really can't find anything, try moving your sluices to a different area I guess. I've heard it said sluices require access to the sky, but mine are under a plank roof and function fine.

I've gone through stacks as well (using gold pans and 5 sluices) to get enough stuff for my first ingots, which I subsequently destroyed on the anvil because I didn't know what was going on. I think I got an equal amount of gems and ores.

EDIT: :ph34r:

You are probably in an area with no ore veins below you.

You will only get ore from an sluice if there is an ore vein in the area that the sluice scans. It is not a magic way to pull ore out of thin air. If there is no ore veins 100 meters in each direction (NWSE) and 60 blocks down, you can put all the gravel you want into it, but you will only get gems.

The best way to find out where you need to place your sluice is by breaking surface rocks. If when breaking the surface rock, you get a small piece of ore, then there is an ore vein of that type somewhere nearby. Placing a sluice in that area is much more likely to yield small ore when you feed it gravel.

You've probably either need to start a new map, or travel around until you find an area with ore deposits nearby.

'Ello,

None of the surface rocks were yielding ore, which is why I went to sluicing. Good to know. No ore from surface rocks = no ore from sluices. It is an extremely large range of no surface ore, so I will likely start a new map as I've traveled very far with no luck already. Kinda sucks, because I spawned in a massive sequoia forest on basalt and the really dark soil.  I liked the colors, felt very fertile.

Thank you,

Michael

The sluice checks for ore in the environment (the details are on the wiki) to determine which ores to return. It may be that this also dictates the quantity of ores found. At any rate I'd expect zero return if there were no ores in the scanned area. If you really can't find anything, try moving your sluices to a different area I guess. I've heard it said sluices require access to the sky, but mine are under a plank roof and function fine.

I've gone through stacks as well (using gold pans and 5 sluices) to get enough stuff for my first ingots, which I subsequently destroyed on the anvil because I didn't know what was going on. I think I got an equal amount of gems and ores.

EDIT: :ph34r:

Decibert,

My sluice is below sea level, up against the stone beneath the dirt. I made a hobbit hole house, so it was only natural I kept my sluice underground with me! Can anyone else confirm or not if the sluice needs access to the sky?

Thanks,

Michael

Sluices do not need access to the sky. This way you can place them in underground caves as a way to find ores that spawn lower down.