Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kittychanley

Wiki Edits/Suggestions

147 posts in this topic

Not a suggestion, but I wanted to share this as It made me laugh.

From the recent modification page : "(Created page with "{{Item |image= Quiver.png |invimage= Quiver |stackable= No |size= Large |weight= Heavy |itemid= 16259 }} == Obtaining == To begin crafting the quiver, right click with a pie...") "

That's good to make a pie quiver!

Lol yeah, there have definitely been a few cases where the truncation results in really weird/funny change messages.

Other times when I look back at the history of the page I will see the most random messages that I've attached to it, and have no idea why even after looking at the differences that change made.

Isn't jasper blue in game? The wiki images show it as red...

Isn't jasper blue in game? The wiki images show it as red...

Jasper was originally red. The gem images on the wiki are still the original ones that were uploaded back in April of 2012. I'll go through and make sure they are all up to date.

I'm sure it's been said many times and in different ways, but people are still getting confused about slots 11-14 on the forge because it states on the wiki:

"Items in slot 11-14 retain their temperature. This is useful when trying to deal multiple items."  Unless I'm missing something, in build 78 they lost that functionality, and slot 3 warms at the same rate as 1,2,4,5.  Right? 

Anyhow thanks for all you do, I'm sure little changes to the wiki with all the updates keeps anyone too busy to function. 

Did you see the top of the forge page? It explicitly states:

This page contains content about features that are outdated, or have possibly been removed from the game.
These features only exist in older, outdated versions of TFC. This information is to be used at your own risk, as it is possible that is no longer correct in the current latest version of TFC: 0.78.17. It is also possible that this page is missing information regarding new mechanics in the current version. For a brief summary of accurate, up-to-date information, please check the Changelog.

Did you see the top of the forge page? It explicitly states:

This page contains content about features that are outdated, or have possibly been removed from the game.
These features only exist in older, outdated versions of TFC. This information is to be used at your own risk, as it is possible that is no longer correct in the current latest version of TFC: 0.78.17. It is also possible that this page is missing information regarding new mechanics in the current version. For a brief summary of accurate, up-to-date information, please check the Changelog.

lol I did read it but others seem to miss it:

"Scott J. Fox

Etho, just so you know the slots where you have sticks in the Forge actually keep things warm; nothing will cool down there. It's very useful for working with multiple ingots & things. This isn't a fake tip, it says so on the wiki as well. :P"

maybe a bolder font for those who think the wiki is a gospel. lol  only a suggestion though, I think it's fine that we should read the change-logs for every mod we use.

Lol  Great job on the updated page.  I don't think anyone will miss it now lol, never let it be said that you aren't diligent when implementing suggestions to the wiki.  It's everywhere lol :OP 

I'll get around to updating that page one of these days. I really just need to bite the bullet and redo the entire thing from scratch, which is why I've been putting it off. I'll make sure to add it to the top of my list of things I will finish by the end of this weekend.

On the bloomery page, could you please mention an easy alternative way to get unreachable bloom in the bloomery, by adding a new layer of coal? It helped me, Etho demonstrated this, a person on the forum also mentioned this.

E.g.:

IMPORTANT:

If the player is unable to reach the bloom to pick it up, they should first try to place a new layer of coal into the bloomery, this often brings the bloom closer.

If unsuccessful, break the Bloomery Block, and then the brick block above it to get inside. Breaking any blocks of the chimney before the bloomery block has been removed will result in the bloomery block popping off as an item in a random direction that can despawn if not retrieved.

On the bloomery page, could you please mention an easy alternative way to get unreachable bloom in the bloomery, by adding a new layer of coal? It helped me, Etho demonstrated this, a person on the forum also mentioned this.

E.g.:

IMPORTANT:

If the player is unable to reach the bloom to pick it up, they should first try to place a new layer of coal into the bloomery, this often brings the bloom closer.

If unsuccessful, break the Bloomery Block, and then the brick block above it to get inside. Breaking any blocks of the chimney before the bloomery block has been removed will result in the bloomery block popping off as an item in a random direction that can despawn if not retrieved.

Added, but changed your statement because the bloomery only accepts charcoal, and not coal.

I've just realised that the 'Ores and Minerals' page of the wiki is incorrect; it states that Bismuthintine spawns in Igneous Intrusive and Sedimentary, but it actually spawns in Igneous Extrusive and Sedimentary. Only the surface vein type spawns in Igneous Intrusive.

The Books section of the Crafting Differences page states it needs 3 paper to craft book, when actually it's one paper.

Also TFC doesn't allow vanilla copying of written books, but I will put it into a new Suggestion topic.Thank you for your time!

The Books section of the Crafting Differences page states it needs 3 paper to craft book, when actually it's one paper.

Also TFC doesn't allow vanilla copying of written books, but I will put it into a new Suggestion topic.Thank you for your time!

The 1 paper recipe is a bug. 3 paper is the correct recipe and has already been fixed for a future version, so there is no reason to change it to 1 paper, only to change it back to 3 paper when the future version releases.

TFC doesn't allow vanilla copying of written books because that's a vanilla 1.7.2 feature, and doesn't exist yet.

Ok, it was not my day yesterday :) Two fails :) Sorry for that and thank you :)

Sorry to be a grammar nazi, but on Food#Bread:

Processing grains into bread doubles it's weight, providing more food from each harvest

Could it be possible to adjust the "Quern" page of the wiki. Currently it only shows the raw andesite block in the crafting grid leading many new people to believe that the quern can only be made with andesite. This is something I had occur multiple times on multiplayer. I know that right under the crafting grid it states raw stone though. Maybe it needs to be clarified a bit better? Just a quality of life change though, no hurry  ;) .

Hi,

just got an idea on how to manage what need to be updated and what is up to date.

First, you create a Template with this code (of course, you need to edit the content of the msg box. You can say something like "Last update on build {{{1}}}" and it will display the number indicadet in the temlate on the page.

{{#switch: {{{1}}} | 79 = [[Category:Current build]] | outdated = {{Outdated}} | {{msgbox| title = | text = }} [[Category:To review]]}}

Second, you have to add this template to all the pages that have game content that can be outdated (like the main page don't need it).

If the model name is "Version, you only have to add it like this with the version number {{version|79}} or can also use {{version|outdated}} to display the outdated template.

On version update, you need to change the template to put the currend build number in, and review all the pages with the currend update build number.

It's good because the model would add all the pages to a category so it's easy for people to review what is up to date and what is not. It would even be possible to change [[Category:To review]] to [[Category:To review {{{1]}}}]] so you have a new category for every version, so it's easier to track down what is the most possibly outdated pages.

That seems a lot like the dwarf fortress wiki :) Good idea!

But a lot of work too, I guess. If some people could help Kitty with this, that could be great!

That seems a lot like the dwarf fortress wiki :) Good idea!But a lot of work too, I guess. If some people could help Kitty with this, that could be great!

Well, yes and no. Of course it's an easy job that anybody could help with, but it's not as long to do as you can think. There is 170 pages in the wiki and most of them are redirections. It would be easy to find the right pages from this special page : http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Special:AllPages

Just a suggestion, the wiki needs to be greatly spread out. Having a bunch of information thrown at me at one time is very frustrating and confusing. Lets be honest, this game isn't as easy to understand as Minecraft. Majority of the time my face is in the wiki. So providing people information little by little would make the mod more enjoyable. Also having too much information on one page can easily make an editor forget to add important information about a particular item. A perfect example would be the ceramic bowl. You search for the ceramic bowl and you have to find your way into the pottery section.However I don't even want to know about pottery, I just want to know what a ceramic bowl is for and it's not even mentioned on that page whatsoever. All it provides me is the recipe to a clay bowl. It'd be nice to know that I can use it to make a meal or a gold pan, but it doesn't say that anywhere. I mean that's what a wiki is about, if I look up a particular item, it should tell me exactly how to make it and what it's used for. You're doing a great job but I highly encourage you to spread it out more. It'll make things a whole lot easier for everyone.

Just a suggestion, the wiki needs to be greatly spread out. Having a bunch of information thrown at me at one time is very frustrating and confusing. Lets be honest, this game isn't as easy to understand as Minecraft. Majority of the time my face is in the wiki. So providing people information little by little would make the mod more enjoyable. Also having too much information on one page can easily make an editor forget to add important information about a particular item. A perfect example would be the ceramic bowl. You search for the ceramic bowl and you have to find your way into the pottery section.However I don't even want to know about pottery, I just want to know what a ceramic bowl is for and it's not even mentioned on that page whatsoever. All it provides me is the recipe to a clay bowl. It'd be nice to know that I can use it to make a meal or a gold pan, but it doesn't say that anywhere. I mean that's what a wiki is about, if I look up a particular item, it should tell me exactly how to make it and what it's used for. You're doing a great job but I highly encourage you to spread it out more. It'll make things a whole lot easier for everyone.

I do agree that the pottery page needs to be split up a little bit. The big problem is that when you start splitting up information, it can go too far to the point where I get complaints about having to have so many wiki pages open at once, and they would like a single page where they can find everything regarding a specific subject. Redundancy is also a wiki's worst nightmare, as every single time a single thing updates, it can be quite a pain to make sure that all references to that thing have been updated as well.

In regards to the ceramic bowl, the argument is only there because as soon as 79 released, the forums were flooded with requests of how to make it. We got sick of answering post after post after post with the recipe, so Bioxx (who hasn't touched the wiki in years) threw it up in the one spot he thought it fit; the pottery page.

The majority of the wiki is still under construction for the 79 update. Other than suggesting which pages you think should be updated before the others, please keep this in mind. I have plans for the majority of pages, so please don't start criticizing how a page is laid out until you are 100% certain that the page has been completely updated for 79, and that my ideas for it are complete.

I do agree that the pottery page needs to be split up a little bit. The big problem is that when you start splitting up information, it can go too far to the point where I get complaints about having to have so many wiki pages open at once, and they would like a single page where they can find everything regarding a specific subject. Redundancy is also a wiki's worst nightmare, as every single time a single thing updates, it can be quite a pain to make sure that all references to that thing have been updated as well.

If everything is separated correctly, there really should be no extra work involved. The fact that everything is already stacked up together, you're going to run into extra work. For example, if you currently make a page for a ceramic bowls, you'll have to make sure both pottery and the ceramic bowl would be up to date at all times. How do you fix it? Lessen the information you provide us in categories. I mean when I go to pottery, all I want to see is a bunch of links of the things that relate to pottery, not having everything be so specific to the point that you're giving me out recipes. It even goes into depth about the process of clay forming (actual term is actually called firing), that should have it's own page as well. Here is an example of what the pottery page looks like on Wurm's wiki, http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Pottery. I'd highly advise you to take that wiki by example.The fact that so much information is on one page actually makes it feel disorganized, complicated, and unappealing. I mean the pit kiln doesn't even have it's own page, it's a sub category in pottery. Yet the pit kiln isn't only about pottery, it's also part of metallurgy. In fact, I had trouble figuring out how to melt my ore early game because it was so hard to retrieve it from the wiki. Instead I had to figure it out through youtube videos. I do see that you're redoing everything, that's good to see. However I just hope the new layout will be more basic and less specific. Even your tool category gives way too much information, wurm's wiki just lists all the tool names, no information needed. If you don't know what something is, or what it does, you simply click it and figure out. The fact that the wiki isn't like this, is why you need to update every little detail in every page. The knife's description on the tools page is a perfect example of that. Wikis are supposed to be about hundreds of pages of tiny information.