Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
puxapuak

Beds, healing, risk, and something new?

3 posts in this topic

Okay I know a lot of people are talking about beds and there's at least one other topic in this forum discussing them, but I want to expand the discussion a bit to something maybe easier to implement than scaling sleep timers and such, and also that will add to the game play dimension.

Sugar-noodles' post in another thread made me think of an alternative, and the more I thought about that alternative the better it seemed:

• Remove the spawn-set function from beds.
  • Make a new item that can be easily crafted using basic stone-age materials that serves as the new spawn-set block. Something like a flag, or totem. It could even be a block you make by knapping or something. Or maybe a straw doormat with 'Home Sweet Home' on it.
  • Dramatically reduce the default (waking) rate of healing from game-hours to game-days or even weeks. Healing while awake requires more food and perhaps bodily injury could be simulated with various effects (head injuries with a state like the new inebriated state, or slow from a leg injury).
  • Introduce several tiers of beds commensurate with the ages. Straw mats, wooden beds, etc. Night can pass in all of them (or maybe a set number of hours?) but how much and how well you heal will improve by the quality of the bed you sleep in.

This will also lead to a better balance of risk in the coming versions, where both day and night will have creatures that want to eat you.

Wow. This is really simple, and really elegant. I like it.However, I do not think that we even need to remove the spawn-setting capability of the bed. Firstly, if the issue is people waking up and healing from death sickness right away, removing bed-spawning won't help that. People will simply put their spawn next to their bed. Secondly, easy spawn devices lead to the ability for people to just throw one together in a pinch to beat up the baddie and grab their stuff, instantly. Beds, at least, take up an inventory slot, and take a few seconds to set spawn. They would be a good way to keep tabs on a long course, but beds work just as well as that for all intents and purposes. Lastly, it would be adding a redundant feature into the game, something that makes sense as it is, put into something else for it's own sake.

Successfully sleeping in a bed to skip the night already (seems to) heal you rapidly, and consumes a portion of your hunger to do so. However, people cannot always skip the night on servers, so a simple thing like bedrest (at any time) more rapidly increases health would make a large difference. I am still in favor of debuffs for lack of sleep also, and the quality of the bed could simply determine the rate at which one heals (also compensating for increased hp due to levels).

One possible issue (that I can think of right now), though: Can we limit it in such a way that a bed must be established to work, so that people don't just carry a bed around and plop it down for a quick fix-up? Of course, this is discouraged by spawn points in some situations, but bedrest should be a thing that happens (at least) primarily in a controlled environment. Maybe the bed can be linked to the decreased spawn rates in a chunk?

Wow. This is really simple, and really elegant. I like it.However, I do not think that we even need to remove the spawn-setting capability of the bed. Firstly, if the issue is people waking up and healing from death sickness right away, removing bed-spawning won't help that. People will simply put their spawn next to their bed. Secondly, easy spawn devices lead to the ability for people to just throw one together in a pinch to beat up the baddie and grab their stuff, instantly. Beds, at least, take up an inventory slot, and take a few seconds to set spawn. They would be a good way to keep tabs on a long course, but beds work just as well as that for all intents and purposes. Lastly, it would be adding a redundant feature into the game, something that makes sense as it is, put into something else for it's own sake.

Successfully sleeping in a bed to skip the night already (seems to) heal you rapidly, and consumes a portion of your hunger to do so. However, people cannot always skip the night on servers, so a simple thing like bedrest (at any time) more rapidly increases health would make a large difference. I am still in favor of debuffs for lack of sleep also, and the quality of the bed could simply determine the rate at which one heals (also compensating for increased hp due to levels).

One possible issue (that I can think of right now), though: Can we limit it in such a way that a bed must be established to work, so that people don't just carry a bed around and plop it down for a quick fix-up? Of course, this is discouraged by spawn points in some situations, but bedrest should be a thing that happens (at least) primarily in a controlled environment. Maybe the bed can be linked to the decreased spawn rates in a chunk?

You could just make it so that if the bed has access to the sky, hostile mobs have a decent chance of spawning next to you and attacking you in your sleep ((You wake up after the first hit of course)) I think that would greatly discourage people from carrying beds around for quick healing.