Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rev

Id just like to say...

18 posts in this topic

....That  I love the new update!  Thanks guys for making the metallurgical part of the game almost to reality! I can go outside and do this then come do it again inside hahahaha.

As a Real life metal caster I find this even more fun to play!  thanks lots!

New method of producing steel has nothing to do with reality actually. In real life you can't make steel by forging hot pig iron.

I said metallurgical processes not the forging one....

How do you make steel in real life?

How do you make steel in real life?

Maaaaaaaagic

-waves hands slowly through the air-

You get a blast furnace and add iron ore pellets into the giant furnace, but you layer the iron pellets with limestone (flux) and another matireal some times Manganese.  Then the molten metal pours out kind of like in TFC but a lot different, That metal is also pounded and gets the level of carbon desired to the metal. Too much carbon in steel makes it brittle but harder, too less makes it very malleable but softer, but as a real metal worker , I dont like steel :P cause it sucks and I cant melt it lol.  I believe I am close to being right with the steel process.

You cant check out my You tube channel,  Im going to start making more videos of real casting and maybe some DIY stuff. :)

Usually you'll use pig iron instead of iron ore. As you mention, the main goal is to reduce carbon contents in it. There are many methods for achieving this result, but it's a different story.For tfc most suitable method is Bessemer process. Maybe damaskus steel production will be ok.

You get a blast furnace and add iron ore pellets into the giant furnace, but you layer the iron pellets with limestone (flux) and another matireal some times Manganese.  Then the molten metal pours out kind of like in TFC but a lot different, That metal is also pounded and gets the level of carbon desired to the metal. Too much carbon in steel makes it brittle but harder, too less makes it very malleable but softer, but as a real metal worker , I dont like steel :P cause it sucks and I cant melt it lol.  I believe I am close to being right with the steel process.

You cant check out my You tube channel,  Im going to start making more videos of real casting and maybe some DIY stuff. :)

whatever you say, i'm still convinced that you people are secretly doing some kind of dark voodoo magicks >:3

Chemistry actually.

New method of producing steel has nothing to do with reality actually. In real life you can't make steel by forging hot pig iron.

Usually you'll use pig iron instead of iron ore. As you mention, the main goal is to reduce carbon contents in it. There are many methods for achieving this result, but it's a different story.For tfc most suitable method is Bessemer process. Maybe damaskus steel production will be ok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steelmaking#History <- the finery forge (working pig iron on an anvil) can be used to make steel.

The Bessemer process is too modern for TFC, as it was invented in the 1850's

We research the shit out of everything we implement, and only smudge the lines when we feel it would interfere with game-play.

Get out.

Would be nice if Wheaton's Law applied to everyone.

Would be nice if Wheaton's Law applied to everyone.

touche.

We put a lot of work into this mod as a hobby; we don't make any money from it. It can be aggravating when people act as if we haven't put any thought into things that took a lot of time, discussion and planning.

touche.

We put a lot of work into this mod as a hobby; we don't make any money from it. It can be aggravating when people act as if we haven't put any thought into things that took a lot of time, discussion and planning.

Wait, you don't make *any* money?  You're telling me that after all this time, not one person has donated to TFC?  That's a shame.  

Also, it would be nice if you could teach us some of that research you do.  I'm rather curious about RL metalworking in particular.  

I understand, Dunk. I deal with people every day who think they know my job better than I do. I think you guys do a great job and I am loving 77. Keep up the good work and try not to let people upset you so much lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steelmaking#History <- the finery forge (working pig iron on an anvil) can be used to make steel.

The Bessemer process is too modern for TFC, as it was invented in the 1850's

We research the shit out of everything we implement, and only smudge the lines when we feel it would interfere with game-play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finery_forge

The fining process involved liquifying cast iron in a fining hearth and removing carbon from the molten cast iron through oxidation.

In the finery, a workman known as the "finer" remelted pig iron so as to oxidise the carbon (and silicon).

This produced a lump of iron (with some slag) known as a bloom.

After that the hammerman "beat the heated bloom with a hammer to drive the molten slag out of it, and then to draw the bloom out into a bar"

So, as I said, basic idea behind this process is to reduce carbon content by oxidizing it, removing slag by hammer is an additional operation. 

Easy and believable possible fix:

To produce steel:

1) Melt pig iron ingot. It produces high carbon steel (liquid), that solidifies in high carbon steel bloom.

2) Work it on anvil. It produces high carbon steel ingot.

3) Melt high carbon steel ingot. It produces steel (liquid), that solidifies in steel bloom.

4) Work it on anvil. it produces steel ingot.

If you want to make steel by forging, you can use method of production of damascus steel

PS Don't take this wrong, I don't bitching or something. If I did not like tfc, I wouldn't be writing anything.  I just point on mistake, so you can fix it.

Wait, you don't make *any* money?  You're telling me that after all this time, not one person has donated to TFC?  That's a shame.  

Also, it would be nice if you could teach us some of that research you do.  I'm rather curious about RL metalworking in particular.  

I know a lot about metal working, I've been doing it since last February.  im going to put some DIY vids on you tube maybe. :P

Should have rephrased that; I don't make any money. The donation money goes directly into Bioxx's paypal account, although last time I asked him, it had been a few months since anyone had donated. I'm still in school and Bioxx is currently out of work, so I really don't mind if he takes the donations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finery_forge

The fining process involved liquifying cast iron in a fining hearth and removing carbon from the molten cast iron through oxidation.

In the finery, a workman known as the "finer" remelted pig iron so as to oxidise the carbon (and silicon).

This produced a lump of iron (with some slag) known as a bloom.

After that the hammerman "beat the heated bloom with a hammer to drive the molten slag out of it, and then to draw the bloom out into a bar"

So, as I said, basic idea behind this process is to reduce carbon content by oxidizing it, removing slag by hammer is an additional operation. 

Easy and believable possible fix:

To produce steel:

1) Melt pig iron ingot. It produces high carbon steel (liquid), that solidifies in high carbon steel bloom.

2) Work it on anvil. It produces high carbon steel ingot.

3) Melt high carbon steel ingot. It produces steel (liquid), that solidifies in steel bloom.

4) Work it on anvil. it produces steel ingot.

If you want to make steel by forging, you can use method of production of damascus steel

PS Don't take this wrong, I don't bitching or something. If I did not like tfc, I wouldn't be writing anything.  I just point on mistake, so you can fix it.

you got me. We didn't want steel to be an alloy of wrought and pig iron but we were already using the bloom to make wrought iron. It was the easiest compromise we could find.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0