Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bbushh

Clay, clay everywhere and the horror of vessels!

17 posts in this topic

Hey there. Clay used to be hard to find but now... everywhere.... can't swing a cat without it getting covered in clay. Simple fix..... make the ingot molds non-recoverable... this would provide much needed wastage.

Correct me if I'm wrong but vessels allow us to carry 4 times as much stuff (of a certain type) than before.... weren't we carrying rather too much before? The Minecraft avatar carries as much as a small merchant ship (making us a vessel of sorts too) and I would rather see this decreased than increased. Maybe make it so vessels can only be used to smelt with... I dunno... ain't thought this through yet.

Lastly.... thanks so much to Bioxx, Dunk and others for keeping this best incarnation of Minecraft going...its truly inspiring.

Yeah. Clay is everywhere. And it seems it spawns everywhere except near water. I wouldn't be surprised if I found patch of clay in middle of desert.

Yeah. Clay is everywhere. And it seems it spawns everywhere except near water. I wouldn't be surprised if I found patch of clay in middle of desert.

I would, because that's impossible. Clay spawns in areas with high rainfall, deserts exist in areas with low rainfall. It doesn't have to do with water.

I would, because that's impossible. Clay spawns in areas with high rainfall, deserts exist in areas with low rainfall. It doesn't have to do with water.

That sure seems accurate to me. I go through vast stretches of land without seeing any clay at all and most of the clay deposits I have managed to find has been in swampy areas or along river banks. Just as it should be.

I find clay in strange places.... when I DO find it. Sometimes, I can go for a week in-game without coming across any at all. Obviously, this makes it hard to progress any further. Those are the worlds I seem to enjoy the most... when I have to fight for my progress. When it all falls in my lap... yeah.

Yay! Feedback. Thanx for the clarification..... still seems to be a heck of a lot of it.....

Well... i don't really see the problem. There may be a lot of clay, but you need at least 4 logs and 4 straw to fire 1 clay item (if you're making 4 at a time that is). Further: Clay molds, Cast molds (always) and jugs can break on usage. So you will need to refire stuff constantly. To loose each ingot mold after getting an ingot out would be very extreme, since you'd use more wood on firing clay than on making charcoal.

Gorni said

"To loose each ingot mold after getting an ingot out would be very extreme, since you'd use more wood on firing clay than on making charcoal."

Fair point if wood wasn't absurdly easy to get..... find one willow tree and breed a thousand.

Thanks very much for your comments Gorni

Hey there. Clay used to be hard to find but now... everywhere.... can't swing a cat without it getting covered in clay. Simple fix..... make the ingot molds non-recoverable... this would provide much needed wastage.

Correct me if I'm wrong but vessels allow us to carry 4 times as much stuff (of a certain type) than before.... weren't we carrying rather too much before? The Minecraft avatar carries as much as a small merchant ship (making us a vessel of sorts too) and I would rather see this decreased than increased. Maybe make it so vessels can only be used to smelt with... I dunno... ain't thought this through yet.

Lastly.... thanks so much to Bioxx, Dunk and others for keeping this best incarnation of Minecraft going...its truly inspiring.

i agree with pretty much everything there

ceramic molds should break upon use, simulating you breaking the casted ingot/tool out of the mold

also, the ridiculous inventory space issue deeefinitley needs to be addressed, right now, i can just run around grabbing every new plant or facny thing i see, a limited inventory space would make it so that you have to chose what would be most benificial to grab at that current time.

i think that you should be able to carry 2 things wiithout a pack, one in each hand

but you would start out with a small pack, maybe giving two rows of inventory space, and taking up a new "back" slot on the model (the back slot would be for equipping things like quivers, large weapons, and of course packs)

you would be able to upgrade or make new packs as you progress, with leather or cloth or other such materials, giving them a much more varied use than they have currently.

and this: ". can't swing a cat without it getting covered in clay."

i almost died

I absolutely love clay vessels for storage. My souterrain wouldn't be complete without loads of pottery. I think it's pretty reasonable within the limits of minecraft, I don't think the point is to make it completely realistic. Going down that path too religiously usually leads to games losing what makes them fun. TFC has been doing a pretty good job of keeping the balance. It's challenging, but not ridiculous.

i agree with pretty much everything there

ceramic molds should break upon use, simulating you breaking the casted ingot/tool out of the mold

also, the ridiculous inventory space issue deeefinitley needs to be addressed, right now, i can just run around grabbing every new plant or facny thing i see, a limited inventory space would make it so that you have to chose what would be most benificial to grab at that current time.

i think that you should be able to carry 2 things wiithout a pack, one in each hand

but you would start out with a small pack, maybe giving two rows of inventory space, and taking up a new "back" slot on the model (the back slot would be for equipping things like quivers, large weapons, and of course packs)

you would be able to upgrade or make new packs as you progress, with leather or cloth or other such materials, giving them a much more varied use than they have currently.

and this: ". can't swing a cat without it getting covered in clay."

i almost died

YES

I have always wanted to have specific slots for only specific things. The way i would go along with the idea is...

remove current inv system.

There would be a new system, which would involve having certain slots for only certain items. For example, there would be a slot where you could put a quiver,bow, a slot for a scabbard, a slot for a back pack (or combat Webbing woot woot!!!), and a slot for a canteen (water). This would look much like the current way you equip armour. If clothing gets implemented, different clothing could influence you inv space (pockets, pouches ect) If you didn't have of these Inv increasing items, then your Inv would be very small, porbablem limited to a 5-10 spaces. By reducing the Inv space, this would also make the adding of wheelbarrows and similary make sence, as it would help carting your things around.

-Snippity Snip-

Well maybe not to that extreme, i'm only suggesting adding a back slot for, well things that would go on your back, such as bows, quivers, packs, weapons,

also, maybe bake it so that certain things can't go in packs? like weapons, so you have to chose what weapons you take into battle wisely or things like barrels or other huge objects

Let devs add wheelbarrows first, shall we?

Oh, and I recall seeing things like weight system implemented, why not think this way instead of the way you all seem to go about things?

Taking the ability out that is.

And to the original topic - clay wasn't rare, it's just you couldn't find it easier like after the addition of those flowers.

I disagree with the idea that the inventory space should be reduced further.  Is it unrealistic?  Yes.  But consider mining with a "realistic" inventory space.  How many trips out of your mine do you want to make just to make a 1x2 tunnel?  Further, that rock you mined up should have to contain the same space in the real world shouldn't it?  It shouldn't fit in a chest... it should occupy a huge mound right outside your mine entrance.

With the amount of mining that most of us... possibly all of us... do this inventory reduction would simply add tedium to the game.

If you don't think so I have a suggestion; go to your mine and mine ONE piece of rock... then cart it to the entrance and go back and mine ONE more piece of rock.  Continue to mine in this way for an hour.  Fun huh?

You want realism?  I've a more realistic idea than limited inventory space... go to your local hardware store and buy yourself a pick axe... no go find a quarry (or dig your own if you have the land) and mine up some stone.  There ya go.  That's fun.

Realism does not always equate to fun.  I believe I read it somewhere on this forum that Bioxx and Dunk aren't going for "realism" so much as believability.  It's a game... it's a fantasy... we suspend disbelief.

edit:

If we're going to have limited inventory space and move in this direction then we may as well also ask Dunk to remove the Single Player button from the menu screen... TFCraft is definitely more catered toward multiplay but changes like this one would make the single player experience an exercise in frustration.

I disagree with the idea that the inventory space should be reduced further.  Is it unrealistic?  Yes.  But consider mining with a "realistic" inventory space.  How many trips out of your mine do you want to make just to make a 1x2 tunnel?  Further, that rock you mined up should have to contain the same space in the real world shouldn't it?  It shouldn't fit in a chest... it should occupy a huge mound right outside your mine entrance.

With the amount of mining that most of us... possibly all of us... do this inventory reduction would simply add tedium to the game.

If you don't think so I have a suggestion; go to your mine and mine ONE piece of rock... then cart it to the entrance and go back and mine ONE more piece of rock.  Continue to mine in this way for an hour.  Fun huh?

You want realism?  I've a more realistic idea than limited inventory space... go to your local hardware store and buy yourself a pick axe... no go find a quarry (or dig your own if you have the land) and mine up some stone.  There ya go.  That's fun.

Realism does not always equate to fun.  I believe I read it somewhere on this forum that Bioxx and Dunk aren't going for "realism" so much as believability.  It's a game... it's a fantasy... we suspend disbelief.

edit:

If we're going to have limited inventory space and move in this direction then we may as well also ask Dunk to remove the Single Player button from the menu screen... TFCraft is definitely more catered toward multiplay but changes like this one would make the single player experience an exercise in frustration.

You come up with some very good points there.  True if it was downscaled a lot it would make the game boring, but it could be worked around. For example, I said that there would be a back pack slot. Wheel barrows, back packs, and minecarts (they would actually be used for their proper use) could all help to avoid the problem.

Also im sorry if i confused you from my above post, but im not suggestion that INV gets reduced to 2 spaces, im suggesting that there would be 5-10 slots for items that arn't carried in a slot, eg sword, quiver ect. To add to that, your INV could always be increased, by wearing for instance a back pack, a ruck sack, a satchel/pouch, combat webbing ect. And then it could also be increased, by the actuall clothes you are wearing (this would stimulate pockets) cargo pants(lots of added INV space), overalls, ect. This idea also ties into the clothing suggestion people have made, and if it was to be so, would stop people from wearing the same clothes all the time, as not all clothes would be good for all enviroments. 

Edited by davoval0001

There's more clay, but there's a lot more uses for clay. I've definitely had a couple of starts recently where clay was not readily available and had to travel some distance to a river biome where there was enough clay to get by.

If ingot molds broke then you'd need 10 clay for every tool you made with tool molds. 5 for the ingot mold, 5 for the tool mold (which already breaks). And 5 to make the initial pot.

Clay is used for a lot of stuff and a lot of that stuff already breaks or has a chance of breaking on use. 

And we haven't even gotten to using clay as a building material for bricks and the like. So excess clay certainly has its uses. I'm not convinced there's too much clay as of yet, especially since it's very much a bottleneck in the entire tech tree if you happen to start without any nearby.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0