Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlexDC

Alternate Brick source

10 posts in this topic

The addition of an alternate route to get bricks would help the start of metallurgy eg flint + cobble = brick this would be resource demanding but would allow the production of forge and bloomery if tin is too hard to find in the players area. This would make a chisel a bonus like the axe rather than a requirement.

I think finding tin or zinc is extremely difficult but necessary. It keeps you from burning through the game too quickly. It took me hours to find zinc, but now that I have some, I feel accomplished and rewarded for my effort.

I agree with xAxis27, and you could always use bismuth for that first chisel, so three different metals isn't too bad :)

I agree as well but there has been a lot of complaints about not being able to find the appropriate metals (especially when tin was not generating in the world).

So this seamed like a simple solution opposed to making tin more common.

Also this recipe does appear to be too easy but that was just an example.

I agree as well but there has been a lot of complaints about not being able to find the appropriate metals (especially when tin was not generating in the world).

So this seamed like a simple solution opposed to making tin more common.

Also this recipe does appear to be too easy but that was just an example.

i love how this mod encourages exploration as a first step, usually you first make a home and find surface resources and your set, if you get unlucky as of TFC, you will have to travel for miles before you find a good vein, maybe your just not mining in the right layer of rock. as for skipping a necessary step in the progression, it would like be spawning right next to the prefect conditions which is fun and all but it leaves you feeling lucky and not like you personally did anything. i have had no trouble finding zinc,tin,bismuth, just gotta get good at propicking

Just for an example for an actual method that you might be able to visualise being fair, the recipe could be 3 clay + sand = brick powder, brick powder + water= brick sludge, then this can be put into ceramic moulds and fired in the forge.

Bearing in mind that you would need 4 bricks for each block and a minimum of 8 blocks which gives 32 bricks all of which require materials, water and firing in the forge for which you would have first had to have created charcole.

Then this only by passes the initial lowest tier metals and you still need to mine for stuff to smelt in the bloomery. If necessary you could still have the player require stone tools to shape the fired bricks.

After all of the above is done I think that that would have equalled or surpassed the effort of finding tin which some may not wish to do.This is also more representative of methods actually used to acquire bricks. Also this does not mean that you can't go looking for tin using the current methods, just that there is an alternative if you wish or are forced to by your surroundings.

The following was the wiki page I used to formulate the possible method (I know it says steel moulds but I am sure there are more primitive methods)

"The soft mud method is the most common, as it is the most economical. It starts with the raw clay, preferably in a mix with 25-30% sand to reduce shrinkage. The clay is first ground and mixed with water to the desired consistency. The clay is then pressed into steel moulds with a hydraulic press. The shaped clay is then fired ("burned") at 900-1000 °C to achieve strength."

Just for an example for an actual method that you might be able to visualise being fair, the recipe could be 3 clay + sand = brick powder, brick powder + water= brick sludge, then this can be put into ceramic moulds and fired in the forge.

Bearing in mind that you would need 4 bricks for each block and a minimum of 8 blocks which gives 32 bricks all of which require materials, water and firing in the forge for which you would have first had to have created charcole.

Then this only by passes the initial lowest tier metals and you still need to mine for stuff to smelt in the bloomery. If necessary you could still have the player require stone tools to shape the fired bricks.

After all of the above is done I think that that would have equalled or surpassed the effort of finding tin which some may not wish to do.This is also more representative of methods actually used to acquire bricks. Also this does not mean that you can't go looking for tin using the current methods, just that there is an alternative if you wish or are forced to by your surroundings.

The following was the wiki page I used to formulate the possible method (I know it says steel moulds but I am sure there are more primitive methods)

"The soft mud method is the most common, as it is the most economical. It starts with the raw clay, preferably in a mix with 25-30% sand to reduce shrinkage. The clay is first ground and mixed with water to the desired consistency. The clay is then pressed into steel moulds with a hydraulic press. The shaped clay is then fired ("burned") at 900-1000 °C to achieve strength."

i think i get what your saying, using brick as an alternate crafting recipe to create the bloomery, forge can be made with cobble btw, thus it would negate the need to find tin/busmuth/zinc as early. the thing is, that you NEED tin to progress into bronze so all it would do is prolong the searching process. you can get to copper and thats it

hmm, if you make it that complicated to get claybricks then I support the idea, especially since as cornbread says... you still need the tin for the next tech level :)

Ultimately this is just a progression thing right now. Some form of do this before you do that. The only thing this would change is what is already mentioned, you would jump straight to copper. In all honesty this is already possible EXCEPT that you need a metal hammer to make flux so you can make a copper anvil.. that is the only thing that actually requires tin/zinc/bismuth right now to move on to copper and then bronze.

Yeah I forgot about the hammer being needed for the flux and now there appears to be too little gain from this to make it worth Bioxx's time. But the idea of getting bricks without metal work may become relevant later on as the mod increases in scale and players may not have time for metalwork if the other aspects become significant.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0