Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Draco18s

Better Cave-In Mechanics

16 posts in this topic

Good job mate. Can your mod, if it's one, replace existing implementations?

That looks pretty bad.

And don't expect people praising you with that tone of yours. 

Good job mate. Can your mod, if it's one, replace existing implementations?

I don't really have any interest in replacing TFC's stone with my own.  I just wanted to show Dunkleosteus that I was right and he was wrong.

That looks pretty bad.

And don't expect people praising you with that tone of yours. 

I.  Don't.  Actually.  Care.

I don't really have any interest in replacing TFC's stone with my own.  I just wanted to show Dunkleosteus that I was right and he was wrong.

Why didn't you just PM him them? 

Why didn't you just PM him them? 

Apparently illegal to share stuff around here; I'm just an annonymous asshole on the internet who's opinion isn't worth anything.  Can't even thumb your nose at the developer without getting flamed these days.

I thought maybe a few people would go "hey that's cool, I'd like to see that in TFC."  I got one, but the next guy is like "wow, your an asshole" so I thought. maybe it's not worth my time trying to make a plugin for TFC.  I'd have to optimize my code quite a bit to make it viable, given how many stone types TFC uses.

But that's ok; I can take my code elsewhere.  Not the first time these forums have made me feel unwelcome.  I'll live.

...That's not what I meant. I wasn't trying to start flaming you. It's just that you said you JUST wanted to show Dunk he was wrong, so if that was all you wanted to do, you should have PM'ed him. Of course, there's nothing wrong with sharing it. Although I do like the idea. It's just not suited to how I like to play.

Hey, that's cool! I'd like to see that in TFC someday!

But seriously, I think that looks pretty good really and I'd imagine with some tweaking and improvements it just may be better than the current system. I still have nothing but respect for the mod devs though and I think if you just change your tone slightly, you'd get the results you want.

From what I've gathered, this kind of caving just doesn't stop, even when theres only one block "floating" and the wall is right next to it. Which means you "sure can't build a dome". What's that all about? Do you force cave-in with that cracked block?

That's great that you proved him wrong, I guess.  I don't really think I'd like this better, though.

But, yeah.  Maybe tone down the self-righteousness and your overall attitude.  I've never met you, and I seriously want to kick your ass call your mother and tell her what a bad boy you're being.

Mate, don't hold a grudge. You show some great work, some people like it, others don't. No big deal. I urge you to share it, if you can make it work in TFC. 

This actually is pretty cool, looks better then the current cave-in implimentation quite honestly.

Also, I think his tone is somewhat justified after reading the original thread...

Hope this or something like it does make it into TFC someday. Good luck to you.

So, you probably won your argument (I didn't read the previous thread), but there are few thing I want to say about your mechanics and why I think it is inferior to current TFC ones.

Predictability.

Your system is highly predictable. Just by looking at shape of the ceiling, you get idea where cave-ins happen. With TFC, this is not the case. You can mine out huge cave and have zero cave-ins happen. Or you can cut of single block in small cave and have whole place crash on your head. I think this gives TFC more believability. Being able to predict with absolute certainity where cave ins will happen is not really believable to me.

Scale.

In your case, the scale is ~5 blocks for single cave-in. I wouldn't really call that cave-in. In TFC, the cave in can span ~100 blocks in each direction. For example, I was once digging in cave and triggered cave-in. I then had to use minimap to get out, because how the layout of the whole cave changed and It was really confusing among all that cobblestone. If you wanted to increase scale, then you would really have to check many more blocks instead of that small area. Again, TFC mechanics are more believable than your "realistic" mechanics.

So, you probably won your argument (I didn't read the previous thread), but there are few thing I want to say about your mechanics and why I think it is inferior to current TFC ones.

Predictability.

Your system is highly predictable. Just by looking at shape of the ceiling, you get idea where cave-ins happen. With TFC, this is not the case. You can mine out huge cave and have zero cave-ins happen. Or you can cut of single block in small cave and have whole place crash on your head. I think this gives TFC more believability. Being able to predict with absolute certainity where cave ins will happen is not really believable to me.

----------

So? System collapses in real life are more predictable then they are random. That's the sort of thing mining engineers dedicate years to understanding fully. Even so, it's not like this system couldn't impliment some degree of randomness.

Scale.

In your case, the scale is ~5 blocks for single cave-in. I wouldn't really call that cave-in. In TFC, the cave in can span ~100 blocks in each direction. For example, I was once digging in cave and triggered cave-in. I then had to use minimap to get out, because how the layout of the whole cave changed and It was really confusing among all that cobblestone. If you wanted to increase scale, then you would really have to check many more blocks instead of that small area. Again, TFC mechanics are more believable than your "realistic" mechanics.

----------

It's probabl safe to assume that what was shown in the OP is more or less arbitrary for demonstration pruposes. I don't see any reason the system wouldn't apply well to a large cave system.

In my opinion the best way is to test this on a generated map. Do it in creative mode best so you can access easily the caves checking at the same time how the cave-ins occur. Best would be using a copy of one world for each of the tests. This i'm sure could tell if it can be used globally or not.

The idea is very good in my opinion. The IRL cave-ins are far more predictable than you can imagine. The most important thing to consider though is to take into effect all of the factors, which for various reasons you can't and this makes them seem unpredictable or random (some parts of the ground is pressed tighter than others, differences in the materials in particular ground parts, tensions from various sources, previous ground movements, etc.).

I don't like this one, original TFC caves in are better imo.