Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Moress

TerraFirma+ : Animals & Carts

77 posts in this topic

TERRAFIRMA+

Be sure to Follow this post for updates!

Episode 1: Animals and Carts

Other Episodes

Episode 2: Botany & Food
http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5095-terrafirma-botany-food/

Episode 3: Storage & Furniture

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5107-terrafirma-storage-furniture/

Episode 4: Medicine & Health

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5209-terrafirma-medicine-and-psychology/

Tools/Nutrition

-Animals no longer follow grains

-Although build 78 has rope, it doesn't do things like i describe here, so Ill keep this

-Rope-

*Braided string or jute reeds

*Most basic tool for animal husbandry

*Moves animals, and tie them to posts, but nothing else

*Equatable to a stone hoe

-Lead-

*Advanced Animal husbandry tool

*Can move animals, as well as other modes

*Lead Mode: Default, move and tie animals

*Info Mode: Tells gender, nutrition, health, and other info

-Nutrition-

-Even at 0, animals will not die

*Now measured in visible meters

*0 will stop the animal from growing and breeding

*Below 50 will cause the animal to be weaker and slow

*Below 75 will cause animals to produce milk and wool slower

-Feed Trough-

*Animals will feed on natural grasses, but at a far more noticeable and faster rate

*If you do not have the room for large herds, you will need to feed via a trough

*Cows and Horses will only eat grains

*Most other farm animals will eat any vegetable

*Pigs eat anything, including rotten flesh

-Water Trough-

*Animals need water

*They will drink out of both flowing and source blocks

*If none are available, you will need to fill a trough with water from buckets

*Depending on the size of the herd, a trough can last a long time

Equines
  -NOTE: A system of the following has been mentioned, so read for entertainment only :)-

-Wild Horses-

* Found around plains in semi-temperate climates, will flee from players similarly to vanilla ocelots

*Tamed via two methods

-Aggressive-

Place a saddle, mount and hang on. Can take a number of tries, and can injure the player if he/she is tossed too hard, can take some time and can severely injure the player.

- Friendly-

Draw the horse near with any grain, will flee slightly after its fed, less and less per time. After enough time, it will stop fleeing. Place a saddle and continue to feed. Attempt to mount, if it is too early you will be bucked off and have to re-try. Time and food intensive.

-Saddle-

* Bred from slender mid-sized horses inside a temperate climates
*Breed mid-sized (about player height) slender horses for 2-5 generations inside a temperate climate
*The saddle horse will have a longer mane and tail than wild horses
*Right clicking on a horse will tell the breed, for verification
* Faster and more agile than wild and draft horses

-Draft-

*Bred from large horses in cold environments
*Breed large (Taller than the player) broad horses for 2-5 generations inside a cold climate
*The draft horse will have a short tail, mane, and hair around its feet
*Right clicking on a horse will tell the breed, for verification
*Stronger than other horses, and can pull wagons/plows

-Wild Donkey-

*Found is plains biomes near the equator
*Tamed similarly to horses, but are far more stubborn and take much longer to tame

-Donkey-

*Created by simply breeding tamed wild asses for 3-6 generations

*About 2/3 as strong as a draft horse, but takes only 1/2 the food

-Mule-

*Created by breeding donkeys and horses
*Infertile, need a stock of both horses and donkeys to make new mules

Horseback Riding/Towing

-Harness-

*Needed for carts/plows

*Fits on all horses

-Horse Shoes-

*Made from Iron or better materials

*Allows horses to move faster

*Wear down over time, need to be replaced

-Standard Saddle-

*Lighter saddle

*Fits any ride-able animal, other than a Draft horse

*Cheaper to make, requires less leather

*Worse weight distribution, so armor will affect a horse's speed

*Meant for lightly armored/unarmored riders who need to be fast

*Scouting/Deliveries

-Western Saddle-

*Heavier saddle, needs a saddle blanket

*Can fit on a draft horse

*More expensive to make, more leather

*Good weight distribution, allows an armored rider

*Built for draft horses

*Combat saddle

-Ornate Saddle-

*Expensive to make, Uses silk, gold, and gems

*Western saddle properties, but with bling

*Meant to show off wealth

-Saddle Blanket-

*Needed for a western saddle

*Shift click to put on before the saddle

-Saddle Bags-

*Small storage, 4 spots

*Meant to keep food and some supplies for extended trips

-Saddle Irritation-

*You must take a saddle off of a horse after done using

*Extended periods can cause damage to a horse

*Slows them, can make them buck you off the next time you try to ride

-Packs-

*Takes the place of a saddle

*Requires a saddle blanket

*Single chest worth of storage

Other Animals

-Wild Goat/Ibex-

*Found in tall hills/mountains

*Large Horns

*Can jump 2 blocks high

-Goat-

*Domesticated after 2-3 generations

*Can jump 1.5 blocks

*Produce goat milk and mutton

-Boars-

*Feral Pig, very hostile

*Must forcibly capture a young piglet in order to domesticate

*Quickly domesticated, lose fur (color) and tusks within 1-2 generations

-Pigs-

*Simply domesticated, no other changes

-Camels-

*Desert animal

*Loses water and hunger the slowest

*Able to be rode, pull carts and use packs

-Llamas-

*Mountainous animal

*Cannot be rode, or pull carts, can carry packs.

*Produces wool

-Elephants-

*Huge animals

*Need large, expensive versions of vehicles

*Strongest animal, but eat a lot of grain

Bees/Apiculture

-Wild Bees-

*Bees nest spawn under large trees in semi-warm climates

*Breaking a hive will release honey, and bees wax but cause the bees to attack

*Making a bonfire beneath a hive will "smoke" them, causing no bees to attack

*Breaking a hive that has been smoked will drop dazed bees, collect in a mason jar***

-Skeps-

*Mobile hives, created with sticks and straw

*Place down, then right click with a mason jar with bees in it

*Smoke to calm bees

*Collect wax by right clicking with a knife, honey by right clicking with a mason jar

*Breaking a skep will let you move it, if it has been long enough, it may drop more bees, allowing you to expand

-Domesticated Bees-

*The longer bees live in a skep, the more tamed they become

*Produce more honey, and more wax

Silk Worms/SeriCulture

-Wild Silk Worms-

*Spawn on natural Mulberry trees

*Spawn in or with silk cocoons

*Shift click with a mason jar to capture silk worms

*Break cocoon to collect natural silk cocoon

-Silk Farming-

*Grow a Mulberry tree

*Place captured silk worms on the leaves

*Wait for them to make cocoons

*Break cocoon and collect

*Worms only produce cocoons about once per month

-Seri Box-

*Wooden box that replaces the mulberry tree

*Place up to 10 silk worms as well as mulberry leaves

*The worms will make their cocoons

*Right click on the box to open a GUI to collect the cocoons

-Silk Processing-

*Boil silk cocoons in cauldron

*This exposes long silk threads

*Use spindle to make Silk thread

Fishing/Aquaculture

-Crabs-

*Crawl around on beaches

*Can be smacked and grabbed

*See the food post for the rest

-Clams-

*Spawn inside of sand blocks, visible

*most often under-water but some can be on beaches

*Shift click with a shovel to dig them from the sand without breaking it

-Fish-

*Different type, by biome (temperature really)

*Bass, salmon, perch, ect.

*Each one has its own values

-Fish Net-

*Made from rope

*Place in water, collect fish from it later

*Also will catch crabs

-Lobster-

*Needs a special lobster cage to catch

*Hard to catch, delicacy

Wagons/Carts/Plows

-Vary from hand carts to large wagons that need multiple horses to pull.

-Hand Cart-

*Smallest vehicle, pulled behind a player

*Chest Version: 1 Small chest worth of storage

*Cage Version: 1 Medium (Pig, Goat*) or 3 Small (Chicken) animals

-Hand Plow-

*Small plow, tills a 3x1 section

*Pushed by the player

*Needs a blade

-Plow Blade: Metal double-sheet + Plow Blade plan

-Plow-

*Large Plow, tills a 5x1 section

*Pulled by 1 draft animal

*Needs a blade

-Cart-

*Medium vehicle, 1 draft animal

*Chest Version: 1 double chest

*Cage version: 3 Medium animals or, 6 Small animals.

*Needs 2 wheels

*Shift clicking with a hammer in hand will bring up a GUI with slots for 2 wheels and an axle

-Wagon-

*Large vehicle, 2 draft animals

*Chest version: 2 double chests

*Cage version: 1 Large animal (Cow, horse), 5 Medium animals, 10 small animals

*Needs 4 wheels

*Shift clicking with a hammer in hand will bring up a GUI with slots for 4 wheels and an axle

-Covered Wagon-

*Large Vehicle, 2 draft animals

*One version, mobile base: Small chest, bed.

*Needs 4 wheels

*Shift clicking with a hammer in hand will bring up a GUI with slots for 4 wheels and an axle

-Elephant Platform-

*Used to ride an elephant

*Can hold a double chest as well as 3 passengers

-Elephant Packs-

*Holds a total of 3 double chests of items

*Requires steel and a lot of leather to create

------Post Notes------

Thank you AllenWL for the wheel/axle idea, and horseshoes (which spurred the horseback riding section)

ChangeLog:

1-22-2014: Added Horseback Riding

1-21-2014: Added Silk

1-20-2014: Started ChangeLogs/Added Beeskeeping
1-19-2014: Changed setup, Started TFC+
1-17-2014: Reopened thread

I love this idea. The whole breeding and refining the species. The only thing is the time. 5-6 generation s is a loooong time to do things. more than a year. two or three generations is a less realistic option, but its IS believable enough for TFCraft. I'm about to make a wagon/plow post, so I think I like this post. Cant wait until you put Botany into this. Just take care and don't make it into a tedious forestry mod

I love this idea. The whole breeding and refining the species. The only thing is the time. 5-6 generation s is a loooong time to do things. more than a year. two or three generations is a less realistic option, but its IS believable enough for TFCraft. I'm about to make a wagon/plow post, so I think I like this post. Cant wait until you put Botany into this. Just take care and don't make it into a tedious forestry mod

Thanks! Its supposed to vary, because 2 generations isn't too long, and the wild horses will resemble their soon-to-be breed as theyre bred, larger and less wild looking.And I'll be making some plans for wagons too once i get the ideas sorted in my head :D

-Wild Ass-

*Found is plains biomes near the equator     *Tamed similarly to horses, but are far more stubborn and take much longer to tame

*chukles

I would say that animal genetics, forms of transportation, and botany had already been suggested in the past. In fact, Mr. Dunkleousteus is already planning to overhaul the mobs in the future; we just don't exactly know when.

As for your suggestion in general, genetics can be quite a tricky thing. Mutations can occur, genetic diseases might happen, but that's not really the point right now. Though, you have stated you are still working on your suggestion, keep in mind that breeding can be very tricky and finicky, at times. As for generation length, I think the limited number of days in the TFC year should be sufficient enough for one generation, at least.

I would say that animal genetics, forms of transportation, and botany had already been suggested in the past. In fact, Mr. Dunkleousteus is already planning to overhaul the mobs in the future; we just don't exactly know when.

As for your suggestion in general, genetics can be quite a tricky thing. Mutations can occur, genetic diseases might happen, but that's not really the point right now. Though, you have stated you are still working on your suggestion, keep in mind that breeding can be very tricky and finicky, at times. As for generation length, I think the limited number of days in the TFC year should be sufficient enough for one generation, at least.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that much of this has been suggested, but the general nature of the other suggestions weren't what I planned with this post.As for the mutations, the breeding would be a little more outright compared to that of real-life breeding. Without mutation or disease for the time, although that would be an interesting way to improve difficulty if this was to be added.

As for the postGiven the newly found interest in this I will start updating it more often.

Right, so I figure I should just talk about what I'm doing in relation to this and what's planned.

First off, a similar system to this has been in the works for a while, but b78 is the first version that includes any of it.

The vanilla horses have been implemented into TFC (with a few adjustments like different sexes etc). So far, that's about it, but more changes are planned. A rope lead can be used to try to direct the animal in the direction you'd like to go in. The lead has to be attached to attempt to ride it. Up until this point, animals each carried a value representing their size, which was inheritable through breeding and affected the amount of meat dropped when they were killed. b78 introduces a number of other variables that affect aspects of behaviour.

All animals have Size, Strength, Aggression, Obedience, Colour, Climate Adaptation -Hardiness, with specific species having individualized traits relating to appearance or species-specific abilities, like milk production for cows.

Aggression and obedience affect how well animals respond to direction by the player and how angry they get when you try to force them to do something they don't want to. If you can manage to breed it low enough, you create a domesticated animal which is much easier to deal with and keep than their wild counterparts. Strength affects things like attack damage, and in horses, what they can accomplish mechanically. Climate adaptation and hardiness are usually used to define what climate the animals are best suited for, affecting things likes appearance, and defining what climate zones the animals will thrive best in. Hardiness affects how well the animals survive outside of their normal zone or with limited resources such as food.

This is mostly a rough outline and I may add or remove some of these as I go. There will probably be an easier method of discerning what an animal's values are, and a way to keep track of them.

Right, so I figure I should just talk about what I'm doing in relation to this and what's planned.

First off, a similar system to this has been in the works for a while, but b78 is the first version that includes any of it.

The vanilla horses have been implemented into TFC (with a few adjustments like different sexes etc). So far, that's about it, but more changes are planned. A rope lead can be used to try to direct the animal in the direction you'd like to go in. The lead has to be attached to attempt to ride it. Up until this point, animals each carried a value representing their size, which was inheritable through breeding and affected the amount of meat dropped when they were killed. b78 introduces a number of other variables that affect aspects of behaviour.

All animals have Size, Strength, Aggression, Obedience, Colour, Climate Adaptation -Hardiness, with specific species having individualized traits relating to appearance or species-specific abilities, like milk production for cows.

Aggression and obedience affect how well animals respond to direction by the player and how angry they get when you try to force them to do something they don't want to. If you can manage to breed it low enough, you create a domesticated animal which is much easier to deal with and keep than their wild counterparts. Strength affects things like attack damage, and in horses, what they can accomplish mechanically. Climate adaptation and hardiness are usually used to define what climate the animals are best suited for, affecting things likes appearance, and defining what climate zones the animals will thrive best in. Hardiness affects how well the animals survive outside of their normal zone or with limited resources such as food.

This is mostly a rough outline and I may add or remove some of these as I go. There will probably be an easier method of discerning what an animal's values are, and a way to keep track of them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what your saying is that you already have a version (more in-depth than even I suggested) of this planned.That being said ill alter it to just say to show a defined difference between a Strong/Hardy horse and a fast/agile one (even though Agility and speed weren't mentioned)

Ive been working on ideas for the botany/crop progression system and ill find time to post them soon

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what your saying is that you already have a version (more in-depth than even I suggested) of this planned.That being said ill alter it to just say to show a defined difference between a Strong/Hardy horse and a fast/agile one (even though Agility and speed weren't mentioned)

Ive been working on ideas for the botany/crop progression system and ill find time to post them soon

Oh yeah, speed is a good suggestion. how did i miss that. thanks.

Oh yeah, speed is a good suggestion. how did i miss that. thanks.

------------------------------------------------

No problem :)

Added the Wagon/Plow details, post thoughts

-Wild Ass-

*Found is plains biomes near the equator     *Tamed similarly to horses, but are far more stubborn and take much longer to tame

*chuckles

*Breaks out laughing*

But going seriously, aren't there too many types of horses? What is horse I call it horse and so. There are not really many types of horses to me. I just classify them in color, not even in sizes.

*Breaks out laughing*

But going seriously, aren't there too many types of horses? What is horse I call it horse and so. There are not really many types of horses to me. I just classify them in color, not even in sizes.

--------------------------------------

Color means almost nothing in the means of horses.. (As far as it would matter in the time period that TFC takes place) If you try to make a Thoroughbred pull a cart you minds well walk, and if you try to win a race on a Clydesdale you should bet on the others. In fact, most people couldn't ride a draft horse because your legs can't spread far enough, and you can actually kill a saddle horse if you try to make them pull too big of a load.

So overall its really 2 MAIN kinds, a large draft horse, and a fast Saddle horse.

Really I think it would be important to have the different breeds because to just throw in a single type of horse and say "good enough" is almost offensive to someone who knows anything about horses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horse_breeds ----------- Hundreds.. I'm talking about 2.

--------------------------------------

Color means almost nothing in the means of horses.. (As far as it would matter in the time period that TFC takes place) If you try to make a Thoroughbred pull a cart you minds well walk, and if you try to win a race on a Clydesdale you should bet on the others. In fact, most people couldn't ride a draft horse because your legs can't spread far enough, and you can actually kill a saddle horse if you try to make them pull too big of a load.

So overall its really 2 MAIN kinds, a large draft horse, and a fast Saddle horse.

Really I think it would be important to have the different breeds because to just throw in a single type of horse and say "good enough" is almost offensive to someone who knows anything horses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horse_breeds ----------- Hundreds.. I'm talking about 2.

Well, then give them simple names. Like, instead of saddle horse, call it rideable horse, and draft horse is good. Saddle horse sounds odd. And seriously, say wild donkey, wild ass is too hilarious. (Hahahahaha) (no offense).

Well, then give them simple names. Like, instead of saddle horse, call it rideable horse, and draft horse is good. Saddle horse sounds odd. And seriously, say wild donkey, wild ass is too hilarious. (Hahahahaha) (no offense).

---------------------------------------------------------

I guess I assumed that the TFC community wasn't this immature. An Ass is the name for a undomesticated donkey. In fact the term "Wild Ass" refers to the African Wild Ass, being the common ancestor to all domesticated donkeys.Also, the term Saddle Horse refers to a horse bred to be rode. Also, calling it a "Rideable Horse" would be inaccurate because you can ride a draft horse given the right saddle.

This goes to all the people who have made a comment about the name of the Wild Ass, please grow up, and if you can't manage that, just stay off of my threads.

-In other news-

Added more about a new crop system, leave any constructive comments

Moress, we're all equals here. Those folks have the same privilege to have a say in all of the discussable threads as much as you do. Also, just simply saying that the TFC community is immature just because one user laughed at the 'Wild Ass' is being stereotypical. There used to be plenty of users with the qualities you are looking for, but right now, we are very few (including me), so don't expect all comments to be constructive. Take the comments you are given with heart, and, if you can, try to strike up animated discussions with them.

-Sda209.

Moress, we're all equals here. Those folks have the same privilege to have a say in all of the discussable threads as much as you do. Also, just simply saying that the TFC community is immature just because one user laughed at the 'Wild Ass' is being stereotypical. There used to be plenty of users with the qualities you are looking for, but right now, we are very few (including me), so don't expect all comments to be constructive. Take the comments you are given with heart, and, if you can, try to strike up animated discussions with them.

-Sda209.

I'll take that to heart, I changed the name just to avoid any more immature comments for the time.

In Other News

Changed the post name to TerraFirma+ because it's going beyond the original post now.Added some food/storage ideas

I'll take that to heart, I changed the name just to avoid any more immature comments for the time.

In Other News

Changed the post name to TerraFirma+ because it's going beyond the original post now.Added some food/storage ideas

Please read the updated rules for this forum that include keeping the scope to each individual topic limited to single suggestions. You will have 24 hours to move your food/storage ideas to a new post before that part of your OP will be deleted and not be restored under any conditions.

Please read the updated rules for this forum that include keeping the scope to each individual topic limited to single suggestions. You will have 24 hours to move your food/storage ideas to a new post before that part of your OP will be deleted and not be restored under any conditions.

I've moved it, and more or less restructured my suggestions.

Be sure to check out all the TerraFirma+ Episodes!

Added some more animals, also started the Apiculture (bee-keeping, counting it as an animal) ideas, but I'm still researching it so its mediocre right now.

I've moved it, and more or less restructured my suggestions.

Thank you!  :D

Carts should wear down after some time(a long time), meaning you'll have to replace wheels and axles to keep it going.

It would wear down faster if you take your cart up/down a full block, and while grass/peat/etc slows it down and wears it down faster, stone, gravel, etc will not slow it down and it will not wear down as fast. 

Carts should wear down after some time(a long time), meaning you'll have to replace wheels and axles to keep it going.

It would wear down faster if you take your cart up/down a full block, and while grass/peat/etc slows it down and wears it down faster, stone, gravel, etc will not slow it down and it will not wear down as fast. 

I actually really like this idea, maybe be able to put a metal shoe on the wheels to increase the durability?

I added the wheel/axle idea in. Credited you in the post notes

lots of good suggestions!

i might as well toss my log onto the fire here too.

something that i've been thinking about is that if animals will follow you when you're holding carrots or wheat or seed, then why are they ignoring the same plants when they're in the ground?

i think that animals should most deffinetly destroy your garden if given the chance so you'll be forced to separate the two of them.

you maaay want to make this only for domesticated animals though or you'll soon be left with a pretty barren landscape (that or have the plants regenerate)

Well, then give them simple names. Like, instead of saddle horse, call it rideable horse, and draft horse is good. Saddle horse sounds odd.

-Wild Horses-

* Found around plains in semi-temperate climates, will flee from players similarly to vanilla ocelots

Goats

-Wild Goat/Ibex-

*Found in tall hills/mountains

*Large Horns

*Can jump 2 blocks high

*Adults won't follow grain, babies will

-Goat-

*Domesticated after 2-3 generations

*Can jump 1.5 blocks

*Produce goat milk and mutton

Pigs

-Boars-

*Feral Pig, very hostile

*Must forcibly capture a young piglet in order to domesticate

*Quickly domesticated, lose fur (color) and tusks within 1-2 generations

-Pigs-

*Simply domesticated, no other changes

--

There is something here I don't like. Regarding goats, why adults should be unable to follow grain? The reason animals follow food is because they find it delicious, or they are just hungry. And, I don't get the part of why they jump up to 1.5 blocks tall, if that is implemented like that, they will be able to jump over fences.

Regarding horses, why should they flee so fast from the player? I don't think horses flee that fast, even if they could.

Regarding pigs, boars aren't really aggresive, do they? They should be more neutral.

But I like the rest, including the plows and wagons. And to make plows useful, tilled dirt could return to normal dirt after each harvest. (Exception would be harvesting tomatoes/bell peppers via rightclicking. And with those cages I will finally be able to transport animals easily. (Yayyy!!!! Animal trade!!)

And sorry for the wild ass thingie. It really made me laugh, but I don't usually behave that bad.