Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
cpy

Help finding graphite

46 posts in this topic

you can space your branches by 30 and be safe as the ore vein is most likely not only 1 or 2 blocks large.

Or you know, get 100 people. You need to make holes to prospect lvl 60, but digging mineshaft also takes time, and i don't really know how exactly 1 rock type spans across the area.

can't really support you cheating to find your ore :/

Dunk how would you recommend finding graphite and kaolinite? They seem to come in such small clusters that it can be hard to locate them without extensive branch mining, especially when they're near other veins that interfere with the propick.

Well, there is this thing i use mcedit to find stuff, it could be replaced by some geology survey kit (probably with 1 minute cooldown or something) that list stuff in 200x200x200 area in quantities like pro pick. Say found very large amount of tetrahedrite, large amout of hematite, very large amount of lignite, medium amount of casserite... etc etc, but sizes would be scaled to take larger area into account.

Also scan would be 200x200 and 150-200 below you, since you dont need to look up in the sky and search for air.

Some people would rather dig 3x3 staircase? Let's assume 500x500m size per rock type, 2km would have 4 different types of rocks, so you need 4 shafts 3x3

You need 3m tall hole that sink 1 m each time, From 150m to 60m would be 90x3 blocks digged. 270blocks digged per shaft vs 1000 blocks in tunnel.

I guess you could do 4x faster shafts. Shaft vs tunnel, unless rock type change every 134m or less it should not be faster to dig tunnels instead.

I kind of agree that suices, while good, have some downsides that make them not that useful. 

• Depth of only 60 blocks means you still need to dig pretty deep shaft to get to the level where it can be useful. Also there is no way knowing what stone is in area of sluice. Digging the shaft deep down will only give you idea about one stone.
  • Dependent on water. So the shaft needs to be close to source of water, which is not always easy. It also takes some more effort to get the water down.
  • Needs you to stay there and throw gravel in it. I think this is biggest problem. 
  • Sluice only detects metals. No graphite or kaolinite for you.

To make this process less tiresome, there should be way to "guess" with good probability what kind of rock is deep underground in some way. There already were few suggestions like this. The biggest problem is the need to stay there and feed it gravel. The "large scale prospecting" should work much more "automatic". I know it is not "believable", but we have mechanics, by which making metal tool you get deep knowledge about geology (eg. propic). So tool like this wouldn't be much stretch. This tool would be automatic, but require some kind of "reagent" and would take lots of time to actually get the results. So you could plop it down, feed it and go away. After some time, you could return and read results.

Also, you just need to make 2x1 shafts + time to get sticks for ladders. I don't know what kind of lunatic makes 3x3 staircases.

Also, you just need to make 2x1 shafts + time to get sticks for ladders. I don't know what kind of lunatic makes 3x3 staircases.

All of my this! I hate travelling up/down 3x3 staircases with a passion.. although I have a bad habit of forgetting to bring enough ladders.. and then I get stuck down at y60 in the hole.

I don't know what to say. I've seen people dig straight under their house and find graphite <- (pakratt)

I found kaolinite like it was trash, but i spent 5 days 10h+ digging in correct rocks without any luck.

Does graphite show up more often in certain rock types? I've dug through a layer of schist and out the other side without finding any, but I'm wondering if I might have better luck with one of the other metamorphic stones.

Only in 4 types, you can check them in rock list.

Does graphite show up more often in certain rock types? I've dug through a layer of schist and out the other side without finding any, but I'm wondering if I might have better luck with one of the other metamorphic stones.

Graphite either spawns in the rock, or it doesn't. If it spawns in the rock type, there isn't any degree of rarity depending on the exact type.

All of my this! I hate travelling up/down 3x3 staircases with a passion.. although I have a bad habit of forgetting to bring enough ladders.. and then I get stuck down at y60 in the hole.

Totally!  I use 2x1 shafts and ladders myself.  You do have to be a little careful not to fall to your death, though - it's happened to me a couple times.

3520758 blocks of ore found in 831663420 blocks in 23233 chunks in 46 regions.

- Graphite: 4103
 -- >= 144: 0
 -- Median Y: 60
 -- Average Y: 69
 -- Max Y: 129
 -- Min Y: 7
 -- Distribution:
 --- 0: 129: 3
 --- 1: 116: 871
 --- 2: 104: 0
 --- 3: 92: 0
 --- 4: 80: 0
 --- 5: 68: 0
 --- 6: 55: 2865
 --- 7: 43: 0
 --- 8: 31: 0
 --- 9: 19: 0
 --- 10: 7: 364
 - Kaolinite: 5345
 -- >= 144: 0
 -- Median Y: 58
 -- Average Y: 58
 -- Max Y: 61
 -- Min Y: 56
 -- Distribution:
 --- 0: 61: 26
 --- 1: 60: 826
 --- 2: 59: 1811
 --- 3: 58: 1807
 --- 4: 57: 839
 --- 5: 56: 36

Example distributions of the 2 materials in the topic.
Both are rare overall (graphite represents .117% of ore, kaolinite .152%)

But the distributions are strikingly different.
Graphite actually makes a significant showing between y=115 and y=130, as well as down at the basement, which may be why you have difficulty finding it (especially if you're just scouring the sweet spot [y=60], where it's nearly 46% less dense than kaolinite (which more or less only exists at the sweet spot).

Graphite is rare, but it's not *that* rare. You're just not looking in the right spots.

My seed goes back a number of beta versions (in fact below spawn there are no caves). With every new terrain modification i need to venture out further and further. I did not trust i would find graphite easily and MCedit proved it. Only the most recently explored areas had 2 pockets of graphite. I wonder if you guys start with new seeds regularly so that the ore spawning is up to date, or remember which areas were more recently explored in a massive world so that the statistics of ore distribution are correct.

From the times I've found graphite, it seems to rest at about the 40 and under range, it is best to mine at about 15 cuz it seems to like to spawn near lava. I've also found that it does not spawn in amounts larger than medium. So far, on every map I've found graphite, that has been the case and I makes me mad (sometimes I have to find more the one vain)

can't really support you cheating to find your ore :/

What does this even mean? Are you going to ban cpy? Did cpy ask you for help with MCEdit? What are you trying to say?

What does this even mean? Are you going to ban cpy? Did cpy ask you for help with MCEdit? What are you trying to say?

How people play the game is up to the them when it comes down to it. However, Bioxx and I designed the game to be played in a certain way (ie, without external cheats) and would prefer if you played it that way. Since this section of the forums is designed to help other players solve their own issues and the big "solution" is to use an external program, I don't feel I can support it's use. For anyone who comes through here with their own issue, this "fix" isn't endorsed by the devs, although it's up to them if they want to do it anyway.

I'm glad you are not outright deleting threads like these. Some people just do not have the patience to play this focused multiplayer mod the way you intend it to be played as. Before, finding garnierite was the only real obstacle. Now we also have graphite and kaolinite that may or may not prove as challenging to find. In the beginning there are always other tasks to do besides looking for these ores. Later though, finding these ores is usually the last task remaining to advance. At this point, the game gets a bit stale for me since building and redstone uses are limited. Don't get me wrong, this is my favourite mc overhaul mod.

3520758 blocks of ore found in 831663420 blocks in 23233 chunks in 46 regions.

Could you share how you got the data for that graph? While I don't want to cheat to find graphite, I am rather curious. Also a large part of my map is ocean, and I am starting to think I may need to be excavating under there..  

Could you share how you got the data for that graph? While I don't want to cheat to find graphite, I am rather curious. Also a large part of my map is ocean, and I am starting to think I may need to be excavating under there..  

Perl script I wrote to analyze ore distributions.

It doesn't give away anything that would be helpful in finding said ores (except perhaps giving away some clearly static depth-related distributions), so I don't generally consider it cheating per se.

It does let me decide how long I should stick with a world based on its mineral richness. My time is limited, and I consider a more ore-rich map more worthy of the time it's going to take me to find them.