Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Euphoric

[TFC 0.77.21] SteamAge v0.3.0

55 posts in this topic

That is biggest problem I have right now. Only ideas I have are simple time-saving machines. Nothing really "big" that would be worth the effort. I would really want people to brainstorm and suggest about this as much as they can.

Mmm, brainstorming challenges?Well, part of the fun is in seeing what you can build. I do enjoy that, however I know that's not for everyone.I do agree that it would be awesome if a new threat or territory was opened up by these tools. Hmm, what if we could use Steam power to pump water into the lava pools, thus letting us mine into the nether?..

This mod sounds cool, but I only play with friends on a server running on my computer. I found this error while trying to start the server with TFC and this add-on : 

Description: Exception in server tick loopjava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Slot 2501 is already occupied by steamage.steam.BoilerBlock@6a3acff7 when adding steamage.steam.PipeBlock@3b2b979d	at net.minecraft.block.Block.<init>(Block.java:349)	at net.minecraft.block.BlockContainer.<init>(SourceFile:9)	at steamage.steam.PipeBlock.<init>(PipeBlock.java:16)	at steamage.core.Blocks.LoadBlocks(Blocks.java:21)	at steamage.SteamAge.preInit(SteamAge.java:57)	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)	at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLModContainer.handleModStateEvent(FMLModContainer.java:540)	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)	at com.google.common.eventbus.EventHandler.handleEvent(EventHandler.java:74)	at com.google.common.eventbus.SynchronizedEventHandler.handleEvent(SynchronizedEventHandler.java:45)	at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatch(EventBus.java:313)	at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatchQueuedEvents(EventBus.java:296)	at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:267)	at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.sendEventToModContainer(LoadController.java:194)	at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.propogateStateMessage(LoadController.java:174)	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)	at com.google.common.eventbus.EventHandler.handleEvent(EventHandler.java:74)	at com.google.common.eventbus.SynchronizedEventHandler.handleEvent(SynchronizedEventHandler.java:45)	at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatch(EventBus.java:313)	at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatchQueuedEvents(EventBus.java:296)	at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:267)	at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.distributeStateMessage(LoadController.java:105)	at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.loadMods(Loader.java:520)	at cpw.mods.fml.server.FMLServerHandler.beginServerLoading(FMLServerHandler.java:99)	at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLCommonHandler.onServerStart(FMLCommonHandler.java:350)	at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71197_b(DedicatedServer.java:69)	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:443)	at net.minecraft.server.ThreadMinecraftServer.run(SourceFile:582)

Looks like the server isn't getting IDs the same way that the client does (even though the code is supposed to be universal)...

This mod sounds cool, but I only play with friends on a server running on my computer. I found this error while trying to start the server with TFC and this add-on : 

Description: Exception in server tick loopjava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Slot 2501 is already occupied by steamage.steam.BoilerBlock@6a3acff7 when adding steamage.steam.PipeBlock@3b2b979d	at net.minecraft.block.Block.<init>(Block.java:349)	at net.minecraft.block.BlockContainer.<init>(SourceFile:9)	at steamage.steam.PipeBlock.<init>(PipeBlock.java:16)	at steamage.core.Blocks.LoadBlocks(Blocks.java:21)	at steamage.SteamAge.preInit(SteamAge.java:57)	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)	at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLModContainer.handleModStateEvent(FMLModContainer.java:540)	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)	at com.google.common.eventbus.EventHandler.handleEvent(EventHandler.java:74)	at com.google.common.eventbus.SynchronizedEventHandler.handleEvent(SynchronizedEventHandler.java:45)	at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatch(EventBus.java:313)	at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatchQueuedEvents(EventBus.java:296)	at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:267)	at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.sendEventToModContainer(LoadController.java:194)	at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.propogateStateMessage(LoadController.java:174)	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)	at com.google.common.eventbus.EventHandler.handleEvent(EventHandler.java:74)	at com.google.common.eventbus.SynchronizedEventHandler.handleEvent(SynchronizedEventHandler.java:45)	at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatch(EventBus.java:313)	at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatchQueuedEvents(EventBus.java:296)	at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:267)	at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.distributeStateMessage(LoadController.java:105)	at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.loadMods(Loader.java:520)	at cpw.mods.fml.server.FMLServerHandler.beginServerLoading(FMLServerHandler.java:99)	at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLCommonHandler.onServerStart(FMLCommonHandler.java:350)	at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71197_b(DedicatedServer.java:69)	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:443)	at net.minecraft.server.ThreadMinecraftServer.run(SourceFile:582)

Looks like the server isn't getting IDs the same way that the client does (even though the code is supposed to be universal)...

Do you have new version? I should have fixed that in 0.2.0

Do you have new version? I should have fixed that in 0.2.0

Yes. I had this error for 0.1.0 too, but with different blocks...

Oh right, did you delete the config file? The broken IDs might be saved in it.

Yes I deleted it (first thing I tried when I came to the forum to check out why it crashed :P)

Yes I deleted it (first thing I tried when I came to the forum to check out why it crashed :P)

Sorry, I checked the source and it seems the bug was still there. I really need to be more careful around ID config. But I can't release fixed version right now.

Yeah .. string constants are worse than devil.

I'm writing this post to get permission to use this addon for a mod pack that, I have created for TFC.

Fine by me. But be warned that this mod is still in heavy development, is unstable and I'm not planning to keep backwards compatibility for next few versions. Also, I'm quite busy with school, so don't expect updates any time soon.

Are you planning on any vehicles? I find navigating long distances and water to be a pain. a steamboat or a sort of automobile would be a great asset to expanding your lands.

Lead pipes wouldn't be able to stand the heat or pressure and would only be good for sending untreated water, Copper pipes and up on the other hand would be more sensible for Steam. I believe lead pipes would have there place in things like Water Pumps.

I'd actually support that. Lead was just used for pipes for the fact that it was cheap and plentiful, as it used to be mined in huge quantities. We don't use it anymore though because of the fact that it's harmful for the brain. 

..." it is missing one point : challenge. It sounds nice if you want to role-play, but is is not that great as game."

"Like I said, major problem I have with this mod is that I don't know what kind of challenges should I create. What kind of "problem" is there that needs "solving". "

Ever see this before? It's John Conway's 'Game of Life'http://www.bitstorm.org/gameoflife/

I love the intent you have here and it's why I've decided to look into TFC myself and maybe even learn how to mod myself.

Consider this though as far as your challenge problem:

I took an intro to game programming course in college and one of the things that stuck with me is in order to make a GOOD game (mod in this case) one doesn't need to add stuff to the game. Complexity emerges from the players once given the tools and simple rules to follow.

Take heart and follow the template given by Notch so far (build little by little based on if you think its FUN or not ;) ) it's worked for him :D

This response may have come a little bit late, but I want to share my opinion about a steam-focused TFC addon.

First of all, the steam engine most be invented. Steam power was invented to pump water from deep mines, which is relevant for tfc, cuz of minecrafts annoying water physics and the amount of water in deep caves and ravines. Maybe add more water springs? So the pump, the steam engine, id like to see production of coal coke as a replacement of charcoal, as this is resource-intensive. A saw to produce planks, therefore make it so that you can only cut one log at a time- problems created and solved. The world defenitely needs a water transport device- steam powered? I like many of the other ideas mentioned, and all the responses in total with your ideas, this can be a pretty good mod. What will the future hold.

I'd wanted to see if you wanted any help with this mod, it has huge potential.  I'm a chemist so I know a lot about how steam works and I know java.  

Some basic ideas that I was thinking would be a cool to add.  

Open steam systems, like a train. Cheap to build, lots of power, needs water supply.

Closed steam system, like a heat pump. High construction cost, less power(normally), reuses water.

Other fluids, that are already in TFC alcohol, salt --> molten salt, etc. They would act much differently.  A molten salt forge, table salt melts at 1474 F, so it would be believable.  

Steam/vapor uses,

TrapsPistons from vanilla but steam poweredSteam weapons

Steamship

Train

Pumps

Lava boiler

Believe but not real

Steam boots, one jump only

Steam storage, very high construction cost, colored steel. very few uses.

Let me know if you'd like any help.  Thanks

Open steam systems, like a train. Cheap to build, lots of power, needs water supply.

Closed steam system, like a heat pump. High construction cost, less power(normally), reuses water.

This is actually the very next thing on my TODO list (after I finish my schoolwork that keeps pilling up). Steam will pass through the machines and you will either output it into air, in which case you need to refill the water somehow. Or you will pass it though cooling "blocks" and route the water back to the boiler.

Steam/vapor uses,

Traps

Pistons from vanilla but steam powered

Steam weapons

Steamship

Train

Pumps

Lava boiler

I got all most of those on my "ideas" list. Including water/lava piping, storage and pumping, steam-powered doors, and some more I can't remember right now.

Other fluids, that are already in TFC alcohol, salt --> molten salt, etc. They would act much differently.  A molten salt forge, table salt melts at 1474 F, so it would be believable.  

You mean instead of water/steam? Hmm.. I wonder how that would work. What would be difference .

If you want to help, you can always check out the source on github and submit pull requests. Right now, I'm in really early change so I don't really mind any kind of change as long as it adds something.

H20 is         1g per 1mL    bp 100C     Autoignition N/A (as far as i know)                      expansion ratio 1:1600 approx Ethanol is   .78g per 1mL bp 78C     Autoignition(when it burst into flames)  425C      expansion ratio 1:500  approx

So in English,  The water would take more heat to make steam and have more pressure.  The ethanol(alcohol) would boil with 3/4 the heat and produce 1/3 the pressure. And the ethanol would explode when it got to hot.  425C isn't really that hot when we are talking about melting steel and stuff. Fe(Iron) melts at 2850C approx.  The molten salt is a little more confusing but I can explain it as well if you'd like.  

The ethanol could be used in a trap that would get to hot when a pressure plate was stepped on. BOOM!

Please don't take this as it has to be this way because of real world science.  It just made me think it'd be cool to use different materials.  Waiting for someone to send me to Tekkify.

Right. I don't really think I want to go this way. It would need more complex code for no real gain in game mechanics.

At least not in first version.

LOL, ya, when i was done writing i was thinking it was way over doing it for TFC.

Right. I don't really think I want to go this way. It would need more complex code for no real gain in game mechanics.

At least not in first version.

If you are looking for a reason to have this, maybe you could look into traincraft. Transportation in servers is always important for town to town/spawn. A town would be known as prosperous when they can setup a railroad and maintain it with steam power or something of the sort.

So after some time, I'm returning to this mod. I fixed the block ID bugs and added something small and simple to start up. The problems start here. I want to implement water storage&stuff, but it seems to be pretty hard to implement correctly based on my experience. And there doesn't seem to be any open-source mod I could "inspire" myself it from. (no, not Buildcraft, that thing is more complex than calculus).

Check first post for details about this update.

Euphoric, if you check, ive sent you a PM. It would be really great if compatibility between the was sorted out so all addons can be used easily.

Can't wait to  see this in  78

Just so you know. This mod has absolutely nothing to do with what official TFC is doing. And from what I talked with Dunk, my ideas are practically identical to his. So I currently have no motivation to continue working on this mod.

Just so you know. This mod has absolutely nothing to do with what official TFC is doing. And from what I talked with Dunk, my ideas are practically identical to his. So I currently have no motivation to continue working on this mod.

Good to know that he fully considers the mechanical side of things. Though I doubt that he considers steam a viable power source. I believe that the water wheel, windmill, and horse power may be the limits.

I have an idea for you why don't you make a steam engine recipe which can be used in steamboats or as a power source for lights if you add them or even to cook/smelt things with I don't wanna say a steam powered automobile because tfc isn't that kind of mod but a steam boat that can store stuff on it would be cool