Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ante185

[Suggestion/Discussion] Nameing of ores and metals

8 posts in this topic

I was thinking about dynamic metals, and why it wouldn't be possible to do it, to me the biggest problem was that copper mixed with Iron wouldn't give you the properties of copper + iron, it would be more or less random.

so thinking to my self I thought:

"What if instead of taking ores, metals and minerals from the real world we could have 'fantasy' name, no, maybe not, that's just stupid".

But what struck me later is that the character you play doesn't have a periodic table in his/her head, he/she would have no clue as to what name that specific piece of ore or metal is called and so to easily remember it the character would call it something, I mean humans didn't really just dig up a random piece of iron and all of sudden knew that it's name was iron.

So when a player acquire a new ore/metal (Could even be applied to other random objects like seeds!) he/she would then be able to name it something (The naming window MUST NOT come up directly when you pick up the new thing!!!)

I suppose with that system you can justify "Dynamic Metals" as the player doesn't know what the metal it really is.

In SMP (Which I have understood is really important) it could either work as:

A) First person to discover 'new thing' would get to name it (troll warning)

B) Each player names stuff for them self (force from other players and communities gives things common names)

What would you call the first ore and metal you found?

Hello,

That is an awesome idea. Like developing your own culture. The Katzbalger for example, either means cat-gutter (an allusion to a cat-fight), or named after the style of how it was worn, with only a cat's skin frog.

I'd totally name my Javelins upon creation Schweinstechens "Pig-Poker"  (think that is how you'd say it; not fluent in german).

Think it would add a sense of discovery to exploration.

Cheers,

Michael

This is an awesome suggestion.  I think to keep the naming on multiplayer not confusing, just keep the naming conventions stored locally and separately.  If a player gives you his "BROWNISH METAL WTF!??!!?!" which is actually iron, and you named it "Metal of the Gods," then when he gives it to you, it still shows up as "Metal of the Gods."  However, if he discovered it first and gives it to you, you should possibly have to name it yourself when you receive it.  Or maybe elect to use the name he gave it.  BROWNISH METAL WTF!??!!?!  Forgive my silly iron names XD

I think that some confusion should be present, as it would maybe enhance player to player interaction, for example player A could trade his ingot with player B's ingot, however player A doesn't know that his ingot may be used in a powerful alloy while player B's ingot is just about as useful as zinc. both players would be oblivious to the unfair trade until player B finds out that ha can make something good with that ingot or until player A finds more of that metal and finds out that way!

Yeah, but doing that can lead to people that know better being trolls to the people that don't... or just people mining something and naming it something ridiculous so they can do it first, and nobody knows what it is from that point on, but I'm really not qualified to say how this type of system should be implemented

Well, there is a reason why i put it as kind of discussion, and your points there should be noted!

But I think it'd simply be confusing, and impair progress. We determined the properties of these by examining them, looking at color, luster, etc; and also looking at the properties of the refined metal when melted out from the ore. We lack the ability to do tests like this within TerraFirmaCraft. So there would be no way of identifying. It's just simpler if we allow minerals and ores to be considered as they really are. 

But on the other hand turtletechy, it would let us feel more like we're pioneers and less like we're following the same path that every single other player on the server has followed.

+1 for custom named ores.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0