Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Jyro117

[TFC 0.77.22] Strongcraft (v0.1.4)

51 posts in this topic

Alright updated to fix the issue for arrows... seems at some point I deleted the recipe to actually craft them.. doh!

I updated arrow damage to be more inline with sword damage after I carefully evaluated it. A sword will do more dps (if you get close enough), but arrow dps is now closer to sword damage.

Alright updated to fix the issue for arrows... seems at some point I deleted the recipe to actually craft them.. doh!

I updated arrow damage to be more inline with sword damage after I carefully evaluated it. A sword will do more dps (if you get close enough), but arrow dps is now closer to sword damage.

Thank you.

And yet, what can you say about the tool in the search for ore?

Thank you.

And yet, what can you say about the tool in the search for ore?

The ore search staff is a one time use. This is intended and will not change, otherwise it makes finding ore too easy and defeats the point of the game (finding ore). The purpose of the ore staff is to help give you a hint if ore might be near you. It is to make it so you aren't mining aimlessly hoping to find ore. If i made it so you can reuse the staff over and over, finding ore would be incredibly easy and the main challenge provided by terrafirmacraft would be removed.

You're absolutely right, but the search for ore is so complicated that account for days to find it, and find the gems are not so simple ... if there was at least 3-4 in the use of a stick would be better IMHO ... at least search capabilities middle and lower layers containing the desired ore. What do you think about this?

Would you consider adding some directional information to the search staff results? While keeping it single-use, of course.

Something along the lines of, I don't recall the exact quote but, "You feel a strong wind blow [from the southwest/from below/from behind]"

You're absolutely right, but the search for ore is so complicated that account for days to find it, and find the gems are not so simple ... if there was at least 3-4 in the use of a stick would be better IMHO ... at least search capabilities middle and lower layers containing the desired ore. What do you think about this?

I'm not completely certain what you mean. If you mean 3-4 types of ore per search, I had thought about it, but I wasn't sure how to 'inform' the person who is searching what type they found. If I provide no information on the ore it found, then you would go digging only to find copper when really you wanted iron. That would be a bit frustrating, so instead if I told you which ore it found then there were more questions... Do I stop when I hit the first ore? Do I do a full scan at all times and add a huge performance hit to the game? Which ores should I group, if I make a bad choice then people will value some gems more than others (which I'm sure exists currently)? Etc.

It was easier to keep it simple and less resource intense to make a staff search for one type of ore. I personally hate the random nature of finding gems, so it can be fairly frustrating... but if you play with a large arrays of sluices for a few hours you will find tons of gems of all sorts of them.

I don't want to 'reveal' too much on how the staff works as I prefer to leave a little bit of discovery, but I will mention a minor note about when searching lower and middle layers. The staff will search the area based on you being the center point, because of this your vertical location will affect where it searches. If you are on the surface it will search mostly the upper layer, but if you go halfway down to bedrock it will mostly search the middle layer. 

Would you consider adding some directional information to the search staff results? While keeping it single-use, of course.

Something along the lines of, I don't recall the exact quote but, "You feel a strong wind blow [from the southwest/from below/from behind]"

I had originally designed it this way but then removed the direction component. My reasoning for removing it was adding a direction adds a huge amount of information, much like how the propick doesn't tell you which direction the ore is. I realize by being a single use it makes it fairly costly to find ore since if you want to use the 'propick' method you will probably need to use two (or more) staffs to narrow in on the ore. If you think about it, you can combine multiple staffs made with either high quality gems/rods and low quality gems/rods to help you find ore. The high quality staff can tell you if the ore is even in an area near you, then you can narrow in on the ore using low quality staffs.

I found that the strength of the wind can give you enough information to infer direction. If you had wind blow 'strongly' then the ore is fairly close to your current location. By going underground and finding the rock type the ore exists in, then all you really need to do is start digging out the area in a grid like way with a propick and it would be shocking if it took more than half an hour to find the ore. If i give the staff multiple uses it takes away from the value of a propick. If I make the staff also tell you direction, it makes finding ore incredibly easy, since you would use the staff once and can very rapidly narrow down on the ore's location. It will tell you the ore is somewhere in a cone shape volume in a certain direction at a relative distance from you.

The overall goal of the ore staff is to inform you of the existence of ore in an area around you, thus preventing you from wasting time digging in an area where the ore doesn't even exist. However, finding ore is still mostly left to the player's knowledge of the game and effective use of a propick.

An interesting idea might be pedestals for a more aesthetically pleasing way to store tools.

I'm writing this post to get permission to use this addon for a mod pack that, I have created for TFC.

If you could please respond to this post or send me a PM.

Thank you for your time.

Here is a link to my mod pack: http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/4933-check-out-a-mod-pack-im-thinking-of-making-for-tfc/

Feel free to use this in mod packs, as long as you ensure it works correctly with the other mods and provide attribution.

An interesting idea might be pedestals for a more aesthetically pleasing way to store tools.

Pedestals... hmm could you elaborate more on what exactly you mean? I.e. do you mean have a single tool floating on top of it?

Yeah. Like a fancier version of a tool rack that displays tools in 2 or 3 dimensions but holds one tool. Like you can have it next to your armour stand for example or in front of an altar to the gods.

Yeah. Like a fancier version of a tool rack that displays tools in 2 or 3 dimensions but holds one tool. Like you can have it next to your armour stand for example or in front of an altar to the gods.

Doesn't sound overly complicated, I will keep track of it for when I start adding new content again.

Ok, when I was thinking about it recently, I discovered that in order to have bows accessible relatively early in the game there would have to be some sort of way to craft a bow before you have metal, I'm not sure how this would be done in a way that is believable/realistic.

How are those made, because I'm pretty sure that last time I checked they required crafting tables, which require plank blocks, which require planks, which requires a saw, which requires metal. See the point here?

How are those made, because I'm pretty sure that last time I checked they required crafting tables, which require plank blocks, which require planks, which requires a saw, which requires metal. See the point here?

Bows and arrows still drop from skeletons, which can be converted into the ones used by this addon. That is your best option if you need a bow prior to a crafting table.

Bows and arrows still drop from skeletons, which can be converted into the ones used by this addon. That is your best option if you need a bow prior to a crafting table.

Pretty certain the the drop rate for bows from skeletons is really really low. Arrows not so much. But from my experience bows are almost never dropped.

Pretty certain the the drop rate for bows from skeletons is really really low. Arrows not so much. But from my experience bows are almost never dropped.

From my play experience, bows and arrows are rarer compared to vanilla. When it comes to pre-metal bows, spears are really the best option for the time. 

Great mod, but I can't seem to get the latest version to work/  I just get this crash:

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// Don't be sad, have a hug! <3

Time: 1/14/14 11:45 AM
Description: Initializing game

java.lang.RuntimeException: An unexpected error has occured loading Strongcraft
at net.jyro.core.StrongcraftModImpl.initialize(StrongcraftModImpl.java:118)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLModContainer.handleModStateEvent(FMLModContainer.java:540)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventHandler.handleEvent(EventHandler.java:74)
at com.google.common.eventbus.SynchronizedEventHandler.handleEvent(SynchronizedEventHandler.java:45)
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatch(EventBus.java:313)
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatchQueuedEvents(EventBus.java:296)
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:267)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.sendEventToModContainer(LoadController.java:194)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.propogateStateMessage(LoadController.java:174)
at com.google.common.eventbus.SynchronizedEventHandler.handleEvent(SynchronizedEventHandler.java:45)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.distributeStateMessage(LoadController.java:105)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.initializeMods(Loader.java:696)
at cpw.mods.fml.client.FMLClientHandler.finishMinecraftLoading(FMLClientHandler.java:231)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71384_a(Minecraft.java:507)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:806)
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:101)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:57)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:18)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Slot 2500 is already occupied by steamage.steam.FireboxBlock@30a5812e when adding net.jyro.storage.block.BlockStickPile@41c40bf5
at net.minecraft.block.Block.<init>(Block.java:349)
at net.minecraft.block.BlockContainer.<init>(SourceFile:9)
at TFC.Blocks.BlockTerraContainer.<init>(BlockTerraContainer.java:23)
at net.jyro.storage.block.BlockStickPile.<init>(BlockStickPile.java:37)
at net.jyro.storage.StorageBlocks.addNewBlocks(StorageBlocks.java:17)
at net.jyro.util.block.BasicBlockManager.runSetUp(BasicBlockManager.java:59)
at net.jyro.core.StrongcraftModImpl.loadFeature(StrongcraftModImpl.java:199)
at net.jyro.core.StrongcraftModImpl.loadFeatureDependencies(StrongcraftModImpl.java:184)
at net.jyro.core.StrongcraftModImpl.loadFeatures(StrongcraftModImpl.java:157)
at net.jyro.core.StrongcraftModImpl.initialize(StrongcraftModImpl.java:113)
... 36 more

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --
Stacktrace:
at net.jyro.core.StrongcraftModImpl.initialize(StrongcraftModImpl.java:118)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLModContainer.handleModStateEvent(FMLModContainer.java:540)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1.invoke(Unknown Source)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.sendEventToModContainer(LoadController.java:194)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.propogateStateMessage(LoadController.java:174)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.distributeStateMessage(LoadController.java:105)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.initializeMods(Loader.java:696)
at cpw.mods.fml.client.FMLClientHandler.finishMinecraftLoading(FMLClientHandler.java:231)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71384_a(Minecraft.java:507)

-- Initialization --
Details:
Stacktrace:
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:806)
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:101)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:57)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:18)

-- System Details --
Details:
Minecraft Version: 1.6.2
Operating System: Windows 7 (amd64) version 6.1
Java Version: 1.7.0_45, Oracle Corporation
Java VM Version: Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
Memory: 2051077856 bytes (1956 MB) / 2596798464 bytes (2476 MB) up to 3817865216 bytes (3641 MB)
JVM Flags: 3 total; -XX:HeapDumpPath=MojangTricksIntelDriversForPerformance_javaw.exe_minecraft.exe.heapdump -Xms2G -Xmx4G
AABB Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used
Suspicious classes: FML and Forge are installed
IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0
FML: MCP v8.04 FML v6.2.62.871 Minecraft Forge 9.10.1.871 16 mods loaded, 16 mods active
mcp{8.04} [Minecraft Coder Pack] (minecraft.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized
FML{6.2.62.871} [Forge Mod Loader] (minecraftforge-9.10.1.871.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized
Forge{9.10.1.871} [Minecraft Forge] (minecraftforge-9.10.1.871.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized
leatherwatersac{2.1.b77} [Leather Water Sac] (1.6.2_LeatherWaterSacTFC_2.1.b77_TFC_HF14+.zip) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized
customrecipes{4.2.0} [Custom Recipes] ([1.6.2] CustomRecipes 4.4.1.zip) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized
Backpack{1.26.29} [backpack] (backpack-1.26.29-1.6.x.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized
terrafirmacraft{0.77.22} [TerraFirmaCraft] (TFC-0.77.22.zip) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized
ExtraFirma{1.0.3} [ExtraFirma] (extrafirma-universal-v1.0.3.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized
flintlock_guns{1.6_5} [Flintlock Guns Mod] (Flintlock_Guns_Mod_v1.6_-_MC_1.6.2.zip) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized
MapWriter{2.0} [MapWriter] (mapwriter-2.0.10.zip) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized
Minemaarten_PneumaticCraft{0.3.3} [PneumaticCraft] (PneumaticCraft-0.3.3.zip) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized
splittingwedge{0.1.3b77u15} [splitting Wedge] (splittingWedge-0.1.3.b77u15.zip) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized
steamage{0.1.0} [steam Age] (steamage-0.2.0.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized
strongcraft{0.1.4} [strongcraft] (strongcraft-0.1.4.zip) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Errored
mod_UgoCraft{MC1.6.2-2.1.1} [mod_UgoCraft] (UgoCraft_Client_MC1.6.2-2.1.1.zip) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized
UnlitTorch{1.29.29} [unlit Torches and Lanterns] (unlittorch1.29.29_mc1.6.2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized
Launched Version: 1.6.2-Forge9.10.1.871
LWJGL: 2.9.0
OpenGL: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series GL version 4.3.12618 Compatibility Profile Context 13.251.0.0, ATI Technologies Inc.
Is Modded: Definitely; Client brand changed to 'fml,forge'
Type: Client (map_client.txt)
Resource Pack: Default
Current Language: English (US)
Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)
Vec3 Pool Size: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null

Edited by Kittychanley
Please use Pastebin.com or [spoiler] tags for crash reports

Err... "Unzip the config zip"

which config zip is he talking about?

Err... "Unzip the config zip"

which config zip is he talking about?

Those instructions has to do with older versions, the files will automatically generate using the latest version.

From the looks of it (and considering your mod list) I would suspect there is a conflict with an ID from another mod. I would suggest trying with terrafirmacraft and terrafirmacraft addons only, and then slow introducing mods to figure out which one is having a conflict.

I know it's been a while since someone has posted here, but I'll just say that I really enjoy what you've made here.

The pack made me do things I wouldn't do otherwise, like fishing for glue and sluicing for gems and that's great. I'm using everything except for the Encumbrance and the Stick piles. And that brings me to my main point. Sticks and the way you store them.

The amount of sticks one can store in a pile is just to small for my liking. For one that has a designated double chest for sticks, that's a bit inconvenient. Also, with the addition of types of sticks it gets even messier. Now, I'm not saying that the desing choice of 256 sticks in a pile is bad, but still.

Where I live you can buy wooden rods to be used as handles for different tools, mainly shovels and axes. The shovel rods are just a wooden cylinder with smooth edges and a diameter of about 2,5cm. Now let's say the "sticks" you get in Minecraft are 1m long rods (Mainly because tools are one-handed) with a diameter of 4cm (For the sake of Minecraft, I'll use powers of 4). A full pile of sticks should take the full space inside a cube with a 1m side (You know, 1 block in minecraft has a side of 1m). I'm saying the whole space just so the player can place another pile on top of the first one if it's full (Think log piles).

Now, with a length of 1m and a diameter of 4cm you can place 25 layers of 25 sticks in a single block. That makes 625 sticks. For the sake of Minecraft make that 640. That's 10 stacks in a single pile. Again for the sake of Minecraft make those stacks 8, 12 or 16, whichever.

As for the ways you can take sticks out, you could just use what TFC already has - log piles. Instead of making complicated button combinations to take one stick, one stack or all of them just make it so when you right-click the pile it opens a GUI where you can do whatever you want, be that splitting stacks or shift-clicking sticks in and out. Now I don't know how hard it is to make a custom GUI, but it would work just fine.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I'm no coder or mod developer, so I don't know the difficulties of being one. Again, thanks for the rad modpack.

I know it's been a while since someone has posted here, but I'll just say that I really enjoy what you've made here.

The pack made me do things I wouldn't do otherwise, like fishing for glue and sluicing for gems and that's great. I'm using everything except for the Encumbrance and the Stick piles. And that brings me to my main point. Sticks and the way you store them.

The amount of sticks one can store in a pile is just to small for my liking. For one that has a designated double chest for sticks, that's a bit inconvenient. Also, with the addition of types of sticks it gets even messier. Now, I'm not saying that the desing choice of 256 sticks in a pile is bad, but still.

Where I live you can buy wooden rods to be used as handles for different tools, mainly shovels and axes. The shovel rods are just a wooden cylinder with smooth edges and a diameter of about 2,5cm. Now let's say the "sticks" you get in Minecraft are 1m long rods (Mainly because tools are one-handed) with a diameter of 4cm (For the sake of Minecraft, I'll use powers of 4). A full pile of sticks should take the full space inside a cube with a 1m side (You know, 1 block in minecraft has a side of 1m). I'm saying the whole space just so the player can place another pile on top of the first one if it's full (Think log piles).

Now, with a length of 1m and a diameter of 4cm you can place 25 layers of 25 sticks in a single block. That makes 625 sticks. For the sake of Minecraft make that 640. That's 10 stacks in a single pile. Again for the sake of Minecraft make those stacks 8, 12 or 16, whichever.

As for the ways you can take sticks out, you could just use what TFC already has - log piles. Instead of making complicated button combinations to take one stick, one stack or all of them just make it so when you right-click the pile it opens a GUI where you can do whatever you want, be that splitting stacks or shift-clicking sticks in and out. Now I don't know how hard it is to make a custom GUI, but it would work just fine.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I'm no coder or mod developer, so I don't know the difficulties of being one. Again, thanks for the rad modpack.

Well to be fair buttons vs gui was a design choice I made early on. I ended up sticking to the button method as opposed to doing a gui, no pun intended. I didn't like the gui for logs originally but I have also come to realize the inconvenience of my approach. Unfortunately it is a decently large amount of work to redo the logic and hence you still see the system as it is today.

Originally stick piles were only supposed to hold 128, but I doubled that as it didn't feel large enough. Additionally, I'm sure you can imagine any decent collection of sticks would take up a lot of space if it was that low. With 256 sticks the average radius of the stick would be 6.25cm, which I have to admit now that you pointed it out is fairly huge value for a stick. I did consider things like sticks being curved/uneven and such so their thickness wouldn't actually be 6.25cm but maybe something closer to 3-4cm with the deformations. There isn't any reason I couldn't increase the value higher but doing so would mean a gui would make more sense. If I do increase the size of the pile it will come to a point where clicking on the piles would have to be more complicated to reduce the difficulties of manipulating piles with a large number of items.

Short-term wise I have very little time to do any work on this add-on so I wouldn't expect any changes in the near future. Additionally, I'm waiting for the main mod to update as I know a ton of things are changing and most of this add-on will need to be rewritten to make the code compatible with the updates. For example, there will be more than 16 types of wood which means all my logic with wood is going to get significantly more complicated. (Has to do with Minecraft storing types with only 16 values).

Hey Jyro, Hows the update for b78 going, if your doing it that is, I'm a big fan of your additions with terrabow and would love to get ahold of it again in b78 along with your other pieces like the storage one.

Hey Jyro, Hows the update for b78 going, if your doing it that is, I'm a big fan of your additions with terrabow and would love to get ahold of it again in b78 along with your other pieces like the storage one.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the changes. Unfortunately I currently have a few issues which is why I am unlikely to update in the near future:

First and mostly, I simply don't have the time at the moment to continue working on this addon.

Second, b78 does cause a number of changes to how my addon interacts with TFC, that it would be a bit of effort to update.

Third, I currently unsure of which direction the developers are going, example: a move to 1.7+ will mean I have to rewrite most parts (I already don't have time).

Forth, a number of things I would like to do still have limitations from the Minecraft 1.6.x code and the TFC code (without writing a huge amount of code that would get thrown away with updates).

If someone approaches me with an interest to update the project, then I have no issues providing them with b77 source code.

Can you describe what is not working for smithing? Also in the strongcraft.cfg is everything set to true? I'm pretty sure I tested the smithing before releasing and it worked then, but maybe I missed something. (I can never remember if I tested it before release or earlier). Also some talk about Wootz Steel below.

From what I read Damascus is a closely related process to Wootz Steel, but is actually different. At least one source I had mentioned it was based on steel being forged in an area with high concentrations of Tungsten in the soil. I did consider looking into seeing how High Speed Steel could be included as a new high tier metal but not sure it would be 'convincing' to be forged around the time frame of the mod. More details about how I would go about Wootz below.

As far as we know, that is thought of how some people think it might have been created, but the properties of this method aren't the same as Damascus steel produced from the earlier era. Blacksmiths nowadays aren't really sure how exactly it was originally forged, as there is debate if it really is some special method of twisting layered metal. It is hard to say because it sounds mostly like speculation... An example of how to make something that looks like Damascus steel was actually shown here in forging a 'real' assassin's creed hidden blade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mISNOvuzn60

Damage with bows is intentionally scaled low, possibly too low. I'm hesitant to scale it higher because I don't want to make it so that people won't use melee weapons. Right now with black steel+ it should take about 3 arrows to kill a mob. Your base damage with bows scales with level, so if you are a low level that will have an affect on how much damage you deal with arrows.

Just to give an idea (and maybe get feedback on) the process for forging Wootz Steel is a fairly long and difficult one. The idea is for the metal to be about blue/red for efficiency/damage but have a very long durability. I.e. you invest a lot of time into forging it to get a tool which lasts a very long time. Reports say that Wootz Steel was able to hold its edge for years so having a tool that lasts a very long time before breaking fits into that category. I don't want to make it replace red/blue steel as I think those fit well into the top tier, but as a different type of top tier metal.

Step 1:

Crafting table:

Kapok leaves (3 along the top of the crafting table).

Ground up magnetite ore (3 along the middle of the crafting table).

Avaram Senna Wood twig bundles (2 on each side of the bottom row on the crafting table)

Crucible in the middle

Crafts into Raw Wootz Steel Crucible.

Avaram Senna Wood twigs are harvested from non-regrowing bushes found near the coast in dry biomes. Each bush drops 2-3 twigs, 4 twigs make a twig bundle.

Step 2:

Heating the crucible to brilliant white on a forge where the forge temperature is near its hottest value for 20-30 minutes (basically you need to pound away on a bellows for 20-30 minutes while feeding coal to keep it insanely hot).

When its done it will change into Wootz Steel Crucible, it then needs to be taken off and let cool completely (will take a while to cool).

You then shatter the Wootz Steel Crucible on an anvil to get a Wootz Steel Egg.

Step 3:

On a fire pit at a low temperature:

Heat the egg, but keep it in the dark red temperature for 30ish minutes. Overheating on the fire too long will turn it into a Steel Egg (which can only be crafted into a steel ingot).

Once the egg has been heated for a while it changes into a Malleable Wootz Steel Egg, at this point you need to take it take it to an anvil and beat on it. Each time adds a bit of 'work' to the time.

It is very sensitive to heat and work, so you need to be very careful about making sure it doesn't cool too much at any point or it will revert into a Steel Egg (again, can only be crafted into a steel ingot).

You will basically have to go back and forth between anvil and fire pit until it has been 'worked' enough, then it will change into a wootz steel ingot. This can then be forged into tools/weapons, I don't think I will include armor because as far as I know nobody made armor out of this stuff.

The total process (once you have the materials) should be about 1.5-2 hours per ingot, it comes at a very high cost of consuming a crucible per ingot (absurd I know). However, it makes up for it by creating nearly indestructible tools/weapons (think 10x red/blue steel).

Damascus steel is manufactured by forge welding multiple plates, differing from each other in their chemical composition and, therefore, the color after etching. 
When talking about the legendary "Damascus steel", then under this stuff actually meant Persian-Indian crucible steel with a high carbon content (up to 2%). Pattern appears due to the formation of carbide and ferrite matrix by slow cooling of the material. 
A Bulat. 
Bulat - the collective name for a hard and tough alloys of iron and carbon. Chemically different from damask steel quantitative carbon content. For this indicator, damask close to iron. But physically it retains ductility low carbon steels and palpably superior to the latter in hardness after quenching. 
Damascus is cooked brown plates of various steels (eg on US stamps: Steel T31507 and T72301), and Bulat is often cast iron with coal, molten cool solution in a crucible without its removal, then poluchaetsya bloomery iron that droblyat and again fall asleep in crucible with charcoal and then brought to a liquid state and then allowed to cool without removing from the oven, and then later it turns out the so-called vutts who sawed and this must be forged blades. If you have any questions please, I will answer.