Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Juan Vino

Weather and Seasons Improval

9 posts in this topic

Before reading: With this thread, I'm probably day dreaming due to the complexity that these suggestions would take to code and such, as well as causing a large amount of lag if you don't have a good computer. If this is possible to create, and it would make the game more interesting; or maybe you could take some ideas. If you like them, I suggest that you don't get your hopes up that they will get implemented, anyways moving on...

Seasons:

Even though the mod's climate is based in a humid-continental climate; there's little thermal oscillation between seasons and day and night. An example will be the city of Astana, the capital city of Kazakhstan, which contains a semi arid continental climate. It's located in the middle latitudes of the northern hemisphere, latitude 51ºN to be exact. Yet at the same latitude of the terrafirmacraft (Z: ±16000/aprox.) Contains relatively cold summers and mild below-freezing winters. This means that summer is around 11ºC to 16ºC maximum temperature. And winter is usually -3ºC to 2ºC. This is some sort of Sub-polar oceanic climate (City of Copenhagen, for example) Even though in b77 or the b76 update they upgraded the climate system so that there were colder winters and warmer summers, yet it stills needs some modifications. In Astana summer temperatures usually get up to 27 degrees and winter maximums up to -13ºC. So I find that thermal oscillations between seasons need to be much higher.

Between day and night there isn't a big temperature difference, in fact temperature might not even change throughout the day. Terrafirmacraft needs lows and highs, for example a late-spring day: 21ºC high and 8ºC low in Astana, which is out main example in this thread. And so on. Being the coldest hour around 5-7 o' clock and the hottest between 14-16.

This is probably one of the impossible things in this suggestion: seasons vary between hemisphere; for example January is winter in the northern hemisphere, and summer in the southern. And make some way that the calendar changes as well.

Day and Night Cycles:

'Ight, this is one of the main reasons why I made this thread. Day and night vary per month, latitude, and environment. On the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere day lasts shorter than usual. And in the southern day is longer. (All this between latitude 0ºNS will slightly change, and around 45ºNS these changes will become significantly different) I mentioned that environment is a variable that affects the sunshine hours; for example if an are is surrounded by tall mountains, sunshine, or, won't enter the valley, having over 24 hours of darkness (If it's in high latitude subpolar zone) or it will receive less sunshine than the mountain top. Inside the polar circles (66º 33º 44º) NS there will always be periods that get over 24 hours of night or sunshine. 

Extreme temperatures:

As I mentioned before there isn't much variation between climate, so I think there should be a 1 in 15 chance per day  that an extreme temperature may occur between it's lows and highs, every month, both high and low, and rarely both, for example in Astana the record low is around -51ºC and the high is 41ºC. For example in summer there may be a morning that water freezes, or it starts to snow, if it was raining, or a short thaw period in winter/autumn. Extreme temperatures may take a while to recover. And another thing, and I'm most likely the 10000th person to mention this, but I think that we should get affected by harsh weather conditions (I know that body temperature will exist in b78) but to add to this, like thirst decreases faster with hot weather, and hunger decreases faster with cold weather.

New weather:

To make the game more realistic, we should add more weather types that support everything I said, and that I will mention. I suggest we add overcast (sky is completely covered by clouds) and that always has a random chance that precipitation will occur. Clear skies, or very little clouds, usually in summer days. Blizzards, extreme snow storms that last a few days and quickly cover the land in snow. Wind, this may be really hard to code, but if you can it will definitely worth it. If there's a lot of wind, and the weather is cold, wind chill will exist, meaning that temperature will feel colder than it is, this will alter ingot's temperature, as well as food's. Humidity index is in some way wind chill's counterpart, if there's a lot of humidity, temperature is warmer than it is.

Freezing rain (A type of precipitation that occurs when the ambient temperature is lower than 0ºC, it freezes when it touches something, leaving an ice sheet with variable width) Will be a good addition, this causes to create an thin ice sheet covering any solid blocks, similar to charcoal sheets. Hail should be implemented, and will usually occur in thunderstorms in summer and spring.

Wind:

Wind is when air moves from a high pressure to a low pressure area, it usually occurs in spring. Wind will affect temperature, bringing warm winds and storms from equatorial regions, and wind chills from the poles. They occur at any season, in summer they will usually bring tropical storms that cause a lot of rain, but  are short, and in winter massive snow storms that will reduce visibility. Storms such as downbursts, hurricanes, tornadoes, cyclones, downbursts, supercells, blizzards, etc. In winter, if there's a lot of wind, if any snow is present, wind will carry snow forming snow dunes. Wind may cause erosion.

Ideal climate between latitudes:

0º Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Oceanic)

10º Darwin, Australia (Oceanic)

20º Jujuy, Argentina (Continental)

30º Santa Fe, NM, United States (Continental)

40º Montreal, Canada (Continental)

50º Astana, Kazakhstan (Continental)

60º Helsinki, Finland (Oceanic, Semi-Continental)

70º Dikson, Russia (Oceanic, Semi-Continental Polar)

80º Alert, Canada (Polar, Oceanic)

90º Amundsen-Scott South-Pole Station/Vostok Station, Antarctica (Polar)

There should be more climate types and should be divided in the following categories: Desert, Tropical, Subtropical, Template (Warm to Cool)  Tundra, Subpolar, Polar. Three more variants of this should be, Oceanic (Little thermal oscillation) Continental (Extreme temperature differences) Highland (Maximum temperature is the same throughout the year, only lows change) And a dry or humid category.

Little Suggestion, I've noticed that ice can form anywhere if temperature is below 0ºC I think it should be like in vanilla minecraft where ice forms from the land, and can't freeze if there's no solid block next to it.

Hello,

This is a good suggestion, in my opinion. It would mesh well with the effects of the "Hardcore Weather" mod, as well as the now (I think) discontinued "Nature Overhaul" mod. Water physics such as the ones presented in the mod "Finite Liquid" would make for interesting "puddles" of ice after rain in cold climates when the temperature goes to an extreme.

Mainly, I just can't wait 'till body temperature is implemented, and hopefully climate being the prime danger (followed by wildlife, then "monsters" in dungeons).

Cheers,

Michael

P.S: It was well written, but man I had to go back in forth between a fahrenheit and celsius converter to comprehend what you were talking about :D

Seasons Variation: Just remember that this is Minecraft, not real life.. and in Minecraft the world is flat, not round. So hemisquare variations wouldn't really happen.

Day/Night Cycles: TFC used to have variable day/night cycle lengths, but the way that the vanilla Minecraft engine is coded, the only that that was really being affected was the appearance of the sky. Mobs were spawning during the "day" and such because the way that time is calculated, the base engine still sees it as night. So sadly, there really isn't anything TFC can do about the cycles.

I see that you noticed that body temperature will be added in 78. Currently only the basics are planned, but things such as affected hunger and thirst are currently having their skeletons coded.

The devs are just getting started with climates, no clue how far extremes and how many variations are inevitably going to be implemented.

I like the idea of weather based on the time of year, instead of just off of a random tick timer.. I shall plant this seed of thought with the devs and see how they react. >.>

Lastly, Ice doesn't need a solid surface to freeze, a spec of dust is enough to create an ice-cube in the middle of an ocean as long as it is cold enough.

Seasons Variation: Just remember that this is Minecraft, not real life.. and in Minecraft the world is flat, not round. So hemisquare variations wouldn't really happen.

Day/Night Cycles: TFC used to have variable day/night cycle lengths, but the way that the vanilla Minecraft engine is coded, the only that that was really being affected was the appearance of the sky. Mobs were spawning during the "day" and such because the way that time is calculated, the base engine still sees it as night. So sadly, there really isn't anything TFC can do about the cycles.

I see that you noticed that body temperature will be added in 78. Currently only the basics are planned, but things such as affected hunger and thirst are currently having their skeletons coded.

The devs are just getting started with climates, no clue how far extremes and how many variations are inevitably going to be implemented.

I like the idea of weather based on the time of year, instead of just off of a random tick timer.. I shall plant this seed of thought with the devs and see how they react. >.>

Lastly, Ice doesn't need a solid surface to freeze, a spec of dust is enough to create an ice-cube in the middle of an ocean as long as it is cold enough.

Thanks, I'm glad that some of my ideas are good :D About the ice thing, it causes too much lag that ice randomly generates everywhere. It will cause less lag, and will make the world nicer and less messed up.

Thanks, I'm glad that some of my ideas are good :D About the ice thing, it causes too much lag that ice randomly generates everywhere. It will cause less lag, and will make the world nicer and less messed up.

You mean you don't like randomly hopping across frozen oceans where there is a chance to fall into the water or have a block freeze where you are swimming and trap you?  :o

Or riding your boat along a calm ocean right as the seasons change and having an iceberg appear in the middle of nowhere and shatter your titanic?

Lol I agree though. I'm thinking the best way to go around it would be to have temperature gradients between biomes.. that way the shore water is naturally a bit chillier than the water out in the middle of the ocean. Would probably cause a bit more even freezing patterns.

With the titanic sentence you just gave me an idea, how about we implement things such as glaciers, icebergs and ice sheets? That these will collapse every now and then. 

I love hoping from ice block to another, same with lily pads. I remember I found my very first iron vein, and since it was winter, the ocean was frozen, so I decided to go home waling through the ocean. I broke some ice to drink some water, and when I wanted to jump back, a stack of limonite fell to the water, I went to get it back and when I reached the surface, the little bastard froze right on my face, I was 2000 meters away from home, I lost a whole vein of iron ore.

We just need bigger temperature difference between summer and winter.

Exactly, both seasonal and day cycles. Before I revived this, well, I had to find a reason to give it a bump and make it live again.

Snow should obviously be improved;

·It should be deeper than 3 layers

·Well, snow does look messed up, and it's not exactly a pleasant view; randomised sheets everywhere. So I think the deepness of snow should vary per snowfall?

·Make it so that when snow looks nicer when it falls on stairs and slabs; this most likely won't happen due to that it will cause a large amount of lag, and may be hard to code.

·It doesn't snow on ice? Or when it does only in the shoreline?

was in a climate kick for the past couple weeks, doing a lot of research into climate, what causes it on a macro scale and how that could be implemented into TFC. I learned a lot, but it turned into quite a mess. I still have all my data and notes if I ever want to take a look at it again, but I probably won't.