Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
dantedarkstar

Increase soil nutritient capacity, balance crops (?)

7 posts in this topic

Hello. After some single player play with this marvelous mod, I have found two minor issues regarding farming, and therefore have two suggestions how farming could be possibly improved.

First:

Increase soil nutritient capacity x2 or x3

Most of the crops (with exception of few extremely fast growing crops) use up all nutritients in a single growth cycle, without achieving final stage.

I think it would be much better if the soil could hold maximum twice or even three times the amount of nutritients it can now, so that crops can grow at least once without having to rely on the slow nutritient regeneration, since this means the last 1/3 of growth could take much longer to accomplish -- the crops get nutritients only at the rate equal to regeneration (as I understand). This makes slow growing crops significantly slower than they actually should be.

(I *assume* crops neither draw more nutritients that they use nor store them internally, but I have no way of really testing that.)

Second:

Balance crops so that slower crops yield more/better food

Most crops give basically the same amount of produce, regardless of how long it takes to grow. Comparing bell pepper and squash (both C type crops), the latter grows very fast, is multiple harvest and can be harvester premature to get green peppers. The latter grows much slower, is single harvest and seemingly produces less items per harvest.

Unless there are some reasons I do not know, I find the crops generally not well balanced, with some being simply much better than others. If this happened only between nutritient type crop groups that would not be an issue -- some types may be simply "better" than others, but since you need to rotate them anyway to be efficient, that is not a problem. It's the same group crops that are an issue, since they are fully interchangeable as far as growing them goes, but one can be much better than other.

Note: I only have SP experience so far, but I can't see how multiplayer may affect those two concerns.

I generally find food system in TFC heavily unfinished and/or unpolished. You can get lots of food early on and then you don't have to worry about it for rest of the game. And you can easily eat raw vegetables and still get lots of food meter. If food spoilage was a thing, then it would be much better, but this was discussed a lot already. If Dunk and Bioxx want to make this a good game, then they should definitely focus on this sooner or later.

I imagine when food spoilage comes in it will make it better for balancing out nutritional values as well,

For example potatoes, onions and squash tends to take a long time to spoil, where as peppers, tomatoes, soy beans all tend to go out of date really quickly, it would mean the quick growing or multiple harvest crops would tend to go off quicker and be used form immediate consumption whereas the slow growing crops which produce less would be used more for storage, for example over winter when very few/no crops grow.

Soy beans generally dry before you harvest them, and hold a very very long time. Far longer than potatoes. We have soy beans in a sack here that are over 18 months old and still use them. Granted, that's with the modernity of plastic bags, but they don't spoil quickly. Green beans is a whole other matter.

If I were to make a food spoilage system, I would have something like this if just kept around:

1 year: Dried rice, soy beans, certain other kinds of dried food.

1 months spoilage: Potatoes (instead of spoiling, becomes plantable shoots), onions, cheese, most cereals, garlic etc

1 week spoilage: Most fruits, cooked meat, tomatos, bell peppers, bread etc

1 day: Raw meat

But then allow proper storage (differs depending on food type, but for example storing potatoes in dark, dry spaces or meat in submerged skin sacks), which increases the longetivity one "step" (and letting properly stored dried rice/beans etc never spoil).

It keeps the system simple to understand with such clear increments, it makes storage important and allows for a lot of balancing measures to be taken into account. And it prevents a single fruit tree from feeding a village for a year.

Sorry ignore me about the soy beans, i was being stupid, meant green beans, although i think soy beans nutritional value should be much lower if they last that long as at the moment I can easily live on just soy beans due to the amount you get per crop and the quickness of its growth

IMO, all growth should be slowed down. But it also depends on how much they value balance vs real-life; because lets face it, real life soy beans arefrakkin' awesome food. If we stopped feeding cattle soy and ate the soy ourselves we could double the worlds protein production IIRC...

But i guess taste of food could also be a thing, even if nutrients arent implemented. Basically, when making meals, set saturation based on the saturation of ingredients, and set soecial abilities like junp boost based on speed.

yeaaahhh

food sistem is in a state where I have tomatos, red bells, oat farm and some pigs killed...

I won't need anymore food, forever (Unless I want to change from 5min resist buff)