Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Elagn

Nomadic/exploratory shelter

5 posts in this topic

In TFC, much of the game depends on going extreme distances to find resorces or animals. Making complealy new shelters at every stop is time consuming and unrealistic, people make dirt and thatch shelters when they were travaling, tents were used. I sugest that tents are put in as a multistage, multi-block shelter. To make one, you would need sticks/planks, cloth, maybe rope, and maybe stakes. To start out, you make several sticks into a frame. The frame is placeable in one piece but takes several blocks up (it could show like with planks to tell where it would be placed) After the frame, a canvas of cloth would be placed over it, with a tent flap on one side for entry. Stakes and rope could then be added and placed next to the tent to secure the canvas from being blown away or such. Each componet would be easily removable with the right mouse button. The tent could be used as a portable bed that skips the night but doesn't reset the spawn position. If and when body temperature is added, the tent could also keep you warm at night in cold biomes. If placed with a fire right out front, this effect could be magnified. The tent would have some downsides like being small and easily broken by monsters so that it isnt permamently used as a base, but I think it would be very useful for extended trips. When one is in the tent, it would also make it so monsters must be much closer (like right beside the tent) to sense/see you. The rope for the tent could be made out of several pieces of yarn. The whole tent should be storable in a tent bag that could store all the componets individualy, but them must be removed to be used. Diferent sizes of tents could be made, maybe even ones with which the fire could be inside the tent.

I agree that it is time consuming building a quick shelter every night when travelling and yes tents were used although more likely to be made from animal hide and bone/strong branches and these still would have had taken some time to set up. But the problem is that realistically hostile mobs, be they the monsters now or hostile animals in the future, would have torn tents to pieces unless well camouflaged or well lit up in the proximity around the site - a tent in the middle of the open isn't exactly going to deter or stop zombies :P. Maybe when the monsters are replaced by hostile animals it could be a possibility, but at the moment it would be just be a bit too simplistic just to sleep in a tent at night and pray zombies wouldn't come along and attack.Just do what I do at the moment - dig a hole and cover with thatch - saves the hassle of making a shelter!

i've allways wanted to see firepits become something like a mob deterrent. it'd make sense too if wild animals would be scared of fire and would put the player in an interesting situation since he have to make sure the fire stays lit throughout the night (assuming this is in multiplayer you couldn't just plop a bed down and skip the night)

Hm, this would be a nice way to have a portable shelter, but i'm not sure how it would work

There is or was a mod for Minecraft, called CampCraft. There's a block what you click on, you get a quick tent. If you replace the glass plane texture (and make a new block of course) that could be the side of the tent, which is better than wool blocks. There are slopes in Minecraft, like tracks and in the mod Carpenters' Blocks. You can take the method from there for the other sides of the tent.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0