Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bbushh

Mob Changes

17 posts in this topic

Hi there TFC community.

I thought I would put my two cents in again(I must be over a buck by now with this). 

I am absolutely fed up with the old system for introducing mobs....it gets dark and endless numbers of boogies pop into existence only to burn up in the sunlight.  This was a clever mechanic 3 years ago but surely the brains of today can do better. Merely changing the mobs to something else isn't enough....its the mechanic of introduction that is the issue. If I'm being ganked by mobs that pop into existence just because the sun goes down I don't care if its zombie or zebra....it makes little sense. All mobs need a reason for their presence, bears hanging out near towns for the garbage, a pride of lions on an equatorial savanna, skeletons infesting a swampy graveyard. More might be introduced by the presence or lack or presence of humans....goblins move into a building keying on the fact the chunk hasn't been loaded in a month and there is a player placed door.....I don't know, just ideas.

Anyway, please comment and tell me I 'm full of poop.

later =)

Cool, I also think mob spawning in the dark out of no where is a bad idea it needs to be changed

Cut and prune as you please :)

The general stated rule is if a moderator has to prune, they will delete everything after the first main topic. Are you sure you want me to prune for you? The 24 hour time period is so that you can copy the multiple ideas and copy and create new topic posts, so your ideas aren't deleted forever.

Maybe I can help here?

As for the first point, I guess that's possible, although that sounds like a fortune enchantment to me. Rock is already randomized, but not related to tool type. You get 0-4 rocks each time you break a stone block. For the time being, I'm going to say no, but I might just keep it in mind in the future.

For the second, sluices are nerfed in the next build quite a bit: the ore you get from them actually converts the scanned ore blocks it's reading back into stone. This sounds a little weird, but it means there's a hard limit on how much ore you can get; setting up a sluice will eventually drain the area of ore, you can't just keep getting ore indefinitely by not mining that one last block of ore.

Mob spawning is interesting however. We have a couple ideas for it, but I think of your three ideas, it's most suitable for discussion. Why don't we continue the thread as a single discussion on mob spawning?

That sounds fine

Maybe I can help here?

As for the first point, I guess that's possible, although that sounds like a fortune enchantment to me. Rock is already randomized, but not related to tool type. You get 0-4 rocks each time you break a stone block. For the time being, I'm going to say no, but I might just keep it in mind in the future.

For the second, sluices are nerfed in the next build quite a bit: the ore you get from them actually converts the scanned ore blocks it's reading back into stone. This sounds a little weird, but it means there's a hard limit on how much ore you can get; setting up a sluice will eventually drain the area of ore, you can't just keep getting ore indefinitely by not mining that one last block of ore.

Mob spawning is interesting however. We have a couple ideas for it, but I think of your three ideas, it's most suitable for discussion. Why don't we continue the thread as a single discussion on mob spawning?

Sounds fine by me Dunc.  I saved the other stuff for my own records so just pare it down to mob spawning. By the way the sluice solution seemingly sounds super =)

Just a tip in case you didn't know... you can edit your own posts by clicking the word "Edit" that is below it in the right corner. If you even go as far as to then click "Use Full Editor" you can change stuff like the topic title. Waiting for a moderator to make the change for you is pretty lazy/disrespectful.. especially since I see you did edit your post to bold the part you wanted to keep.

I am absolutely fed up with the old system for introducing mobs....it gets dark and endless numbers of boogies pop into existence only to burn up in the sunlight.  This was a clever mechanic 3 years ago but surely the brains of today can do better. Merely changing the mobs to something else isn't enough....its the mechanic of introduction that is the issue. If I'm being ganked by mobs that pop into existence just because the sun goes down I don't care if its zombie or zebra....it makes little sense. All mobs need a reason for their presence, bears hanging out near towns for the garbage, a pride of lions on an equatorial savanna, skeletons infesting a swampy graveyard. More might be introduced by the presence or lack or presence of humans....goblins move into a building keying on the fact the chunk hasn't been loaded in a month and there is a player placed door.....I don't know, just ideas.

Bears hang around not because of garbage but because they can get food easier than having to hunt it down. The same reason attracts them to campsites where people leave food out for them. (Hence the need to learn what a "bear bag" is when camping.) They also would go to rivers for fish, so perhaps that is a better choice than 'towns for the garbage' since . . . well, we don't have towns naturally occurring. 

I'd like the spawns to make more sense also, since I've had the unpleasant experience of being hemmed into my hut while my pit kiln finishes, rain starts just at dawn and keeps the undead alive a bit longer . . . and much like vanilla there's a possible creeper around I can't hear. There's a reason I started trying to terraform for a wall on my major outpost :) 

If undead such as zombies and skeletons are going to require graveyards or such to spawn, then that brings two things to mind: there needs to be a way of discerning these things, and they'd need to randomly generate as structures. Even if it's just a chiseled smoothstone of what's below the dirt, some sort of marker to realize in the daylight: "I do not want to be near this place after dark".

It is most likely that "monsters" (Zombies, Skeletons, Etc) will be moved underground entirely, and will not spawn on surface graveyards or the like (The devs may eventually change their mind on this, nothing is set in stone until it's coded). I believe I also saw a lovely commit the other day about bears spawning in surface caves, which makes much more sense than randomly out in the open.

Just a tip in case you didn't know... you can edit your own posts by clicking the word "Edit" that is below it in the right corner. If you even go as far as to then click "Use Full Editor" you can change stuff like the topic title. Waiting for a moderator to make the change for you is pretty lazy/disrespectful.. especially since I see you did edit your post to bold the part you wanted to keep.

In fact I didn't. I assume Dunc highlighted it as it was relevant to his post.

But sluices give you tiny ore, that's less of an input than mining the ore itself, isn't it, so won't that make sluices a bad thing that reduces your ore rate?

Anyways, I think mobs should spawn more frequently on chunks you have not been to. If you stay in one place for a long time, animals only spawn rarely, but in new places, or if you leave your home for a long time, animals will start spawning again.

Lakes, rivers, and pools should have animals frequenting for water(a.k.a more spawnrate), some animals like rats should be able to spawn near people(and steal out of your chests!), and some like crows should spawn near crops(and eat them... scarecrow anyone?). There should be animals that run away and spawn only in places players haven't been to/only visit very rarely(deer, rabbits), some that can spawn in player-settled places but spawn in the wild more frequently(like bears or possums), and some that spawn near settlements and take to stealing food and such(pests like rats, crows, etc)

Currently I would rather have mobs survive daylight and spawn in lesser numbers during the night

We will see how everything changes in the next update? (BTW is it going forward for you guys? Or has it slowed down?)

I think that animals no matter the type or biome dependant spawn rates should spawn in the chunks most away from the players . Making the animals undetectible untill the player makes an encounter (tries to colonise theyre land) .

Also maybe make animals that can and will destory blocks(chisel them(only the ones you have placed and only if the blocks are stopping them to steal your food))but they should be only able to do that to a block once a day or some other time cicle preventing chaos .

Maybe also make it so that animals are more active ... maybe with making them randomly patrol a area near theyre home and when it is nearing night go home ..until the other day rises.

The last part can be acomplised by making specific "home" biomes for different animals . That can spawn them if the player isn't nearby(the chunk next to the unloaded one)

OK!

I do agree, monster on surface are nonsense!

Bears should spawn near river biomes and surface caves

(this last one is tricky we don't want them inside the ravines, and how can we tell one from another?

Only idea I have is a generated structure, a bear lair,

would be nice to see around these high mountain range.

I imagine something like these thermal fountains Bioxx preview on his Twitter

https://twitter.com/TFC_Bioxx

)

I'd be happy just to get rid of the skeletons, zombies and (especially) creepers... replaced with something a little more realistic. Wolves, bears, crocodiles, hyenas and so on. 

There is a plugin I created awhile back for bukkit, that has mobs and animals attracted to light. That would enhance monsters and their realism of interacting with players.