Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
PaoloEmilio

Cats, Rabbits and other Pets

47 posts in this topic

Drill instructor hai?

What service teaching drill?

USMC, not many know the difference between a drill sgt. and a drill instructer

Never had any expierience with merican drill (Aussie btw). I used to fill the role of drill SGT, but now with promotion i hardly teach any drill, just fault correct (unless my NCO's aren't filling their duties)

Didn't teach drill so much as make boys into killing machines

How is rabbit hunting any different from hunting any other animals, like cows etc?

Point of view.

Same reason some people feel squeamish about eating snails, raw fish/meat, rats, or dogs.

If you see rabbits as pets, and not food, you would be a lot more squeamish about hunting them then a person who just sees them as animals.

If you see rabbits as pets, to you, hunting them would be like hunting something in a pet store, or killing a pet.

If you see them as animals, you would have no problems with hunting them.

But in a survival situation, even dog is a good meal

Unless it's a arctic husky.

Then, you can get Hypervitaminosis A(at least I think that's what you get)

Anyways, I'm fine with people eating dogs or whatnot, as long as they didn't get it from a pet shop

The thing is,pets are going to be viewed as basically furry furniture unless there is a point to having them.

Wolves are nice to have but without a reason to have a pack of war dogs, they are mostly going to be mobile furniture.

Cats are much the same, but follow a more logical placement. 1) get cat, 2) place cat near door to house, 3) profit from creeper repellent cat

with mobs getting moved underground we need a reason to take care of animals. 

- a few ideas-

Make bears into a full blown hostile mob (unless captured and tamed as a cub) same for wolves. That way you have to fight against different kinds of animals

Add a few more dangerous animals for the surface (big cats, alligators, things of that sort)

add mice to plague farms (gives cats something to do) the mice would destroy crops and eat the seeds/grain/food they drop

wild rabbits would also harm farms but can be tamed

rabbits could be picked up and placed only in the hot bar (same for cats)

a placed rabbit would distract wolves and bears (hopefully by running to safety) 

small enough animals would be able to fit through 1 block openings allowing "doggy" doors

all pets can be breed to increase size. This improves its overall speed, health, and attack.

pets of a large enough size could be used as mounts in place of horses

The fact is, right now, minecraft pets are furry furniture.

I think the reason for this is because

1: weak: Dogs are really, really weak, and while able to kill zombies somewhat easily, will die after attempting to kill 2 or more skeletons/spiders. cave spiders especially fatal.

2: Dumb: they are prone to falling off cliffs, walking into lava/cacti, and pushing you off ledges

3: Limited usage: cannot attack creepers, and can only attack one mob at a time, meaning they are somewhat useless against groups of mobs(works as meat shields though)

So if pets are to not be furry furniture, they need to be

1: strong: you can take one hunting, and not heal it after every mob it fights. can take care of a reasonable number of mobs before needing healing

2: smart: they should not fall off cliffs, walk into hazards, push you off ledges, and most defiantly should not kill every mob you hit

3: multiple usage: not just a creeper deterrent or meat shields, they should be able to hunt, scavenge, scout, etc for you

So more ideas for pet usage

1: Scavenging. Your pets can gather seeds, fruits, mushrooms, and other thing that you normally cannot gather, much less find(say, rabbits, parrots, etc could pick up items randomly and give them to you)

2: Searching: pets have better senses then you and you can use them to track down animals and find things you normally could have missed(wolves, dogs, pigs, etc can lead you to things like mushrooms, animals, fruit trees when near it)

3: Retreating: Send them off to retrieve items you dropped or cannot find/retrieve for some reason.(dogs, hawks, and such can go off, gather items, and come back with it. useful if the item is somewhere unreachable[say, down a cliff, or in a field full of monsters/wild animals])

4: Warning: Pets can detect hostiles from farther away then you, and warns you(useful when you are otherwise occupied, say, mining, farming, etc)

Hey, I got an idea.

How about for the more 'hostile' animals(hawk, [possibly]cat, wolf, fox, etc)

You can't tame the grown animal, but instead have to find a young baby or egg and tame that instead

But the adults will be hostile towards you, and try to protect the young(kill you if you approach) so you have to lure them away/kill them before you can tame the young

--

Not a good idea, I've attracted adult cats to me

--

Not a good idea, I've attracted adult cats to me

Had that cat grown up wild, never meeting a human being before you?

Have you managed to train that cat?

I'm pretty sure there is a reason you train puppies, and don't wait till they grow up to train them, and you cat baby falcons to train rather then a full grown one

You can give them food, attract them, etc, vou you can't really 'tame' them. They'd remain wild.

An idea I just got while writing.

What if, when you tame an adult, you get a 'wild' pet, that you can't 'train' to do 'complicated' stuff. As in, they won't bring back stuff for you, they won't sit, won't really stay close to you, won't enter places they don't like, etc.

But they would have better senses and strength, and they would wander around you, sometimes leading you to food or bringing you stuff, sometimes coming for food, and fighting for you at times. Basically, they are 'wild' and untamed, but they like you, and are willing to help you.

If you tame a baby/egg, then you get a domesticated(thank you, DA_HOBO2_URLEFT) pet. You would be able to make full use of them, and hey will answer to your commands. However, they would be weaker and have duller senses compared to 'wild' animals

Hey, just saying, but if rabbits drop meat, what's to prevent players for breeding rabbits for food?

I don't see any problem in rabbits being a common source of food. They'd be near impossible to catch by hand, and so a bow would be an effective hunting tool. Plus, being that they would be so common, they would eradicate farms, limiting other sources of food. They also should be able to slip through vanilla fences; you would need like a wire fence or something to keep them out. 

If you tame a baby/egg, then you get a (what's the word? 'tamed' 'unwild'? whatever) 'standard'(whatever) pet. You would be able to make full use of them, and hey will answer to your commands. However, they would be weaker and have duller senses compared to 'wild' animals

Domesticated?

I don't see any problem in rabbits being a common source of food. They'd be near impossible to catch by hand, and so a bow would be an effective hunting tool. Plus, being that they would be so common, they would eradicate farms, limiting other sources of food. They also should be able to slip through vanilla fences; you would need like a wire fence or something to keep them out. 

Domesticated?

I mean, rabbits breed like, well rabbits. you can put them in a small enclosed area(why use fencing when you can used walls and ladders?), then breeding and killing will be a breeze, letting you get tons of food with just a small plot of farmland, and a 2x2~3x3 walled off area

Not if you have to feed them all, to continue the breeding process. Considering rabbit meat is not very filling

I just made the post for the cats... althrough all pets would be good, I want CATS

I just made the post for the cats... althrough all pets would be good, I want CATS

Dunk doesn't like cats.. which is most likely why he hasn't converted the vanilla ones to TFC yet.

real life cats, or minecraft cats?

Both, apparently

I'm mostly interested in the hawks. I read a book series when I was a kid about a kid surviving in the mountains with a hawk as a companion, so I thought it would be neat to re-create in TFC. I would think their nests would only spawn at a certain elevation, so they'd be really hard to catch and tame (assuming you had to start with an egg. I like that idea). 

Dunk doesn't like cats.. which is most likely why he hasn't converted the vanilla ones to TFC yet.

--

But I do! Add the cats! If he doesn't like them let the other players enjoy them :(

As long as people like them, and as long as cats get a actual use that makes them actually worth getting, I don't see why we shouldn't get cats

Cats are useful in hunting annoying plagues, they kill rats, mice, and even roaches. If these peskies are ever coded, cats could be made to hunt them.

Dogs' barks should be able to keep mobs away from the area - protecting fields and cattle.  Even vanilla dogs would be good for hunting.  Hit the target and watch the fun.  

Dog Sleds for dogs that work on snow and ice.  (Maybe that is my old Man Vs. TFC series speaking there - but there was so much ice...)

Cats who sit on the work bench.  And the bed.  And the chests.  And demand to be let out.  Then sit in the doorway for five minutes trying to decide if they want to go out.  Well, if Creepers are removed at a certain point, what is the point of having cats?   Unless you have rabbits or mice trying to eat your plants, as PaoloEmilio has stated.

Rabbit farming - fur and meat.  

Also, maybe a health bonus for having pets?   They have proven that pets are good for the heart and help comfort and calm people.

Dogs' barks should be able to keep mobs away from the area - 

Or something not scared of dogs could come to eat the dog.

Or a pvper can hear the dog and come to your base to loot and kill