Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
InsaneJ

[0.79.30.925] HappyDiggers - The most popular public TFC server - Now also TechNode Firmacraft 3.7.1 (unofficial TFC)

512 posts in this topic

Thank you, glad to hear it :)

To better help support players we have promoted KodeKatt to the rank of TFC admin. She will help out whenever possible so don't hesitate to ask her if you need anything.

TFC Build 78 is upon us! Finally we can move on to Minecraft 1.6.4. This will solve so many problems every server owner has had :D

Work has begun on the HappyDiggers TFC b78 server. It's going to take us a bit of time to set up all the new mods and plugins and (briefly) testing them for stability. Things we'll be adding include:

• Proper permissions so mods can do more to help the players.
  • Block place/break and inventory logging. This should help figure out who griefed or stole something.
  • Ban aggregation. Known griefers won't be able to join the server.
  • Ticket system so players can ask for support even when there is no staff online.

Since world gen has changed in B78, the new server will have a brand new map. I'm currently pre-generating a 10.000x10.000 map to get players started. As with the current server, there will be no world border, players can go where they please.

Expect the new server to be up in a day or so :)

Build 78 doesn't work with MCPC+, to my knowledge.  It crashes on server start.

Since we are restarting the world I thought that this would be the perfect time for a suggestion. I know this might sound a bit harsh, but bear with me.

I think that the player experience will improve significantly if you can only fast travel to you own town as an ordinary player.

This way, there will be a lot more meaning in building transport infrastructure (roads, canals etc) and establishing cities in places that you can reach. People that want to be left alone will be just as happy. An expedition to a faraway land will actually require planning and resource management and be an integral part of gameplay, not just a /t spawn command. I seriously think that Terrafirmacraft works a lot better with this kind of setting.

Please discuss.

I would be perfectly happy if there were no teleporting at all. :)

I would be perfectly happy if there were no teleporting at all. :)

Me too, but it would be an acceptable compromise if you could teleport to your own town.

I myself am not a fan of teleporting.  In short it really takes away from the experience of the whole game.

But, 60% of the time someone new comes on a server, they ask if there is tp, If you say no , 30% of the time peeps log out and never return.

With TFC, if the spawn is localized then you have the leaves and rocks situation were few are gonna want to walk a day or two before they find any.

Being able to TP to towns and back does have its advantages like seeing what your friend built last night without having to plan a vacation to see one chunk of awesomeness and so forth. But on the other hand it's nice to look at a map and see roads going from town to town. It really shows player dedication and effort for a server.

Having tp influences a large player base and some could use the classic MC line, "if you don't like it, don't use it".

I have built a nice long road with the help of warrior from my place to bluedell, I didn't have too because I could just tp, but I like the endorphans flowing threw my brain when I look at it and remember the experience doing it, the hardships and joys. In fact Warroir and I built a better friendship doing so.

I am sure most of us play terrafirmacraft for the challenge vanilla abandoned and I have noticed a much better player base on TFC than any other minecraft instance.

In short It all comes down to the server owner and the juggling act of trieing to please everyone. In which you can't.

J is a very flexible guy and possibly the best server owner I've come across in MC but not having TP on a public server will severely deture  allot of the will for weekend warriors to play. Teleporting from town town and back I can deal with personally, but making a /home anywhere should be avoided to keep TFC on par with the challenge the Mod is known for.

Ill leave this with a saying from an old wise man,"take everything in moderation, even moderation".  ;)

Thank you for your insight guys, it's much appreciated. After all, without feedback it's hard to know what people think :)

I get that people play TFC because of the challenge it provides, and I don't want to take away from that by forcing players to do things a certain way. It is one of the reasons why you only need TFC to join the HappyDiggers server.

On the other hand we have the "weekend warriors" as Roadie called them. I would like for them to be able to enjoy the game as well. These are just two examples of play styles, and there are many more. So everything ranging from hardcore to casual with lots of variety in between so to speak. If we want all those players on a single server, we need to cater to them in such a way that we don't force players into doing things they don't want to. That can be difficult. Especially when players get jealous of other players using something that their own 'code' prevents them from doing, like teleporting.

The new server we're working is giving us a lot of luxuries we have come to expect from our other public servers.

• There is block/inventory logging so griefing and stealing is pointless, it's all logged and you will get caught.
  • Known griefers can't join the server due to ban aggregation. (If you got banned on 10 different servers, you're not joining ours.)
  • We can set spawn reliably now so we can easily move the spawn area around periodically which will help with resources being depleted around spawn.
  • There is the ability to lock all your stuff: chests, doors, clay jars you put on the ground, anvils, armor stands, etc. This prevents your fellow town's people from taking your stuff.
  • Players can ask for support, even when there are no staff members online using /ticket <your problem goes here>.
  • Moderators can finally do their jobs as moderator on the TFC server with abilities like: viewing player's inventory, becoming invisible and seeing what they are up to, checking for grief/damage, kicking/banning players, etc.
  • Grief can be undone by admins, although we do expect you to protect your builds using MyTown.

Those are all things that will help us make the server a better place for everyone. TFC is fine, but without these additions it's also pretty much the wild west. Most of the complaints we've had will be solved with this.

That leaves the question of: should we allow teleports. We once ran a Towny server that had no teleports at all. A few people, I think Roadie was one of them, loved it. If you wanted to go somewhere you first had to dig a tunnel, build a road, or take a boat. Most other players hated it though because they don't want to spend their time doing such things. They just want to hang out with their friends, maybe build something, and overall have less ambitious plans on the server. The result was that there were only a handful of players on the server, which dwindled into nothingness over time because "no one is ever on".

Like it or not, having people on the server does add to the overall atmosphere of the server and the community. Even if those people don't play the same way you do. Therefore it is my opinion that it's a good thing to at least try to keep both sides of the spectrum happy. That means not forcing players into convenience mods/plugins, not forcing players to rough it all the way, not forcing players to clutter together. It also (somewhat) requires players not to expect that everyone plays the same way they do. If you can accept that someone else plays differently from you then you should be able to get along just fine. The way someone else plays shouldn't affect you at all if you're not living together, which you don't have to :)

That all being said (cudos if you're still reading!) the new server will have the ability to teleport to other player's towns just like the current server has. However you can now protect your town better by sealing the town's spawn in a small room and locking the door. Also players will get the ability to use /sethome for multiple locations. Think of these as private warps. And for those that really don't want people wandering into their towns I'm thinking about setting up a way for players to request a, one-time only, relocation to a far away place. The idea is to have a range of coordinates, one near the equator and one in a more temperate zone, with 100.000 blocks between each point where we can relocate people to.

Please share your thoughts on this wall of text :)

Travel and trade would be more of a thing if teleportation was removed. Though I must agree that it's a bit harsh to remove *all* teleportation. Teleporting to your own town only is a fair compromise.

The new server is coming along nicely. Although it took more effort then we initially thought.

We switched from MyTown to Towny because we couldn't get the MyTown permissions to work reliably. Initially we didn't want to use Towny because it doesn't protect against Forge mods. However TFC doesn't use any fancy machines, mining lasers, quarries or magic spells that can manipulate blocks. So Towny will suffice.

We've changed the Towny and Lockette configs considerably and are now able to protect most if not all inventory items from TFC. By default all those things like doors, anvils, tool racks, etc. are protected inside of towns from outsiders. You can further set permissions for the plots you own inside a town to even prevent other town members from accessing them. If changing permissions is a bit much, you can also use Lockette to lock those things by placing a sign on them with the following on the first line: [private]

Right now we're testing the plugins for stability and if all goes well I'll put the new server up on Sunday night or perhaps Monday.

Another update. Looking at the issues we're having when running MCPC+ and TFC, the current server we're building is looking less likely to appear in it's current format.

These are our known issues that seriously influence gamelay:

MCPC+ Player Inventory does not update after death
Reported here and here.

Anvils eating double ingots.
Reported here.

Hunger and thirst bar do not get filled after death.
Reported here.

Bioxx has said that he currently does not intend to spend time fixing issues with TFC and MCPC+ which is understandable. There's only so much time he can spend fixing bugs. That means we can either try to live with the current list of issues and hope the MCPC+ devs can solve the issues. We could wait to see if Bioxx might change his mind later on. Or we go back to a Forge only server.

Right now I'm really not liking the prospect of running a Forge only server. That would mean we loose the following:

• No block logging. Can't prove who griefed something and no way to undo damage without rebuilding.
  • No locking of TFC inventory blocks. Anyone in your town can steal your stuff.
  • No ticket system. If no staff is available, your only option is to go to the forum and ask for help.
  • No ban aggregation. Known griefers can join at will.
  • No private warp points for players ("weekend warriors").
  • Moderators can't do their jobs. They can't vanish to check up on reported players. They can't inspect player's inventories. They can't kick or ban players. They can't teleport players. Only admins (OP) can actually help players but only in a very limited way putting more strain on our staff.
  • The ability to update plugins without server down time.
  • The ability to easily move spawn when resources around the current spawn are depleted.
  • The ability to easily regenerate chunks if they become corrupted.
  • A couple of others but I can't remember them of the top of my head right now :B

Thoughts?

MCPC+ does sound like a very useful tool, especially for towns. One dissuading factor for making a public town myself before is that I wanted my own private palace & storage, separate from the communal stuff, but not having MCPC+ won't affect solo players like myself, or trusted groups who already know and trust each other if MyTown is still in place.

I've only been here a few days but I get the impression that theft/problems are very infrequent on the server, so although it would nice to have tools to solve all these potential issues, it's been a great server without them so far.

Those bugs with MCPC+ (for all players) do seem worse than risking the chance of naughty town members (which is only a chance) in my opinion.

Speaking for myself (without much of a town or assets to lose) I'm looking forward to a fresh start with b78 fixes & features, and we'll still have MyTown so it's still a leap forwards with no steps back, right? It's been a great server so far, with the exception of a certain type of tree...

I'd agree with Commie up there, but seeing as I've just seen this server, all I can give is experience towards the matter, as since I haven't been on this server once, I doubt my opinion would be taken as sedriously as it would be if I was an active member. My main idea is that we could either deal with the problems, as Hunger and Thirst after death really isn't that huge of an issue. The main problems are the double ingots (Which would be a huge pain) and the update after death. We could possibly deal with the no update after death, or just keep our items (Not sure how well that would work)

The ingots feel like the biggest problem, since it cannot be reinforced or reimbursed because it would be too easy to say "I lost my ingots, please give them back to me" And proving you lost them would take time, as well as new players getting depressed of this server for that main purpose. We really do need those things (Bukkit/MCPC+) to have a functioning server, because no one likes griefers, especially not having their items protected.

Of course, like Commie said, trusted players and solo players could hide their stuff or not, fearing no risk of people stealing their items, but our main values here are, in my opinion:

-Teleport rights (Town/Spawn privelleges)

-The ability to update plugins without server down time.

-Moderator authority, without bans we can't keep down a good server

-No town protection/local protection.

If we could find a kind of side mod like MCP+ (However rare that is) Or get someone to maybe help us out, maybe hire a developer of some sort to fix it, that may work, but right now those are the four things I would deem essential (No pun intended) to be implemented with MCPC+. I assume everything else you could sort of live without.

From my point of view, as long as MyTown works as intended, (Like giving Town members only Loot access in the whole town and Assign them private plots for building), I am ok with the lack of complex functionality.

addressing the issue of the inevitable stripping of resources near spawn, it may be possible (i've seen it done before) to make a random teleport button near spawn, so a player can press the button and find themselves in pristine wilderness.

might not be for everyone, but i would use and appreciate it.

As the people above me stated, the two ABSOLUTELY necessary parts are MyTown and Moderators. Moderators not as much but still viable. I only listed the items such as Teleports and serverdown time as they would help the server drag in a better playerbase, but without protection and civil "law", the server won't amount to much in the future.

After a gruesome and short test period we're finally ready to announce that the HappyDiggers TFC server has been updated to the latest and greatest 0.78.5 version running on Minecraft 1.6.4. This server brings many new (TFC) features and advantages that weren't possible before.

Among the changes are:

• Block and inventory logging meaning griefing and stealing is pointless, it's all logged.
  • Lock your chests, barrels, armor stands, etc. with a (Lockette) sign.
  • Ticket system. No staff online and need help? Open a ticket!
  • You can set multiple private warp points using /sethome
  • Moderators can finally do their jobs. They can kick/ban abusive players. They can teleport players. They can become invisible to investigate reported players.
  • We can update plugins without having to restart the server.
  • We can easily move spawn when resources near spawn run out.
  • We can easily regenerate chunks should they become corrupted.

Enjoy the server and if you encounter any problems, please report them here.

Seeds seem a bit non-existent, and I haven't found any crops or any fruit/veg plants either

Seeds seem a bit non-existent, and I haven't found any crops or any fruit/veg plants either

Fruit trees and berry bushes do spawn tho they're fairly rare. Seems no vegetables spawned at all and breaking hundreds of grass both with knife and fist has yielded 0 seeds. :(

Fruit trees and berry bushes do spawn tho they're fairly rare. Seems no vegetables spawned at all and breaking hundreds of grass both with knife and fist has yielded 0 seeds. :(

i believe the .78 changelog said seeds no longer drop from grass.

Ah yes I managed to miss that. Here it is for others to see:

• [*]Wild crops should now respawn every year between April and September. Wild crop world generation altered so that different crop types will be harder to find. Seeds can now only be obtained through harvesting crops.

I guess I'll go back to staring at my berry bush whilst dying from starvation

Looks like build 78.6 is already out, with slight alterations to worldgen caves and ravines. Maybe we should wait for a while until all worldgen bugs are solved and reset the map again. There are at least three worldgen bugs left:

Name: NPE in Mountain Generation (Severe)

Description: Game will lag in mountainous areas before eventually crashing. Crash report contains:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at TFC.WorldGen.TFCChunkProviderGenerate.replaceBlocksForBiomeHigh(TFCChunkProviderGenerate.java:527)

Name: Chunk Generation Errors (Annoying)

Description: Sometimes chunks screw up when generating, creating random sunken spots or square pools of water.

Name: Floating Water World Gen (Annoying)

Description: Caves and Ravines generate after water pools and rivers, causing ugly floating water sources.

Alright, we've set a dispenser at the pool/lake outside spawn that dispenses seeds everymorning. Despite the season, I have managed to find grain crops such as rye and barley, keep a look out for those!

The server has been updated to 0.78.6.

Looks like build 78.6 is already out, with slight alterations to worldgen caves and ravines. Maybe we should wait for a while until all worldgen bugs are solved and reset the map again. There are at least three worldgen bugs left:

Those bugs are present in the previous 0.78.5 version. We can always choose to regenerate the map at a later time if we want to, that's no reason to not update right now. The update solves a lot of issues we'd otherwise have to deal with :)

Like Jixero said, we now have an overly complicated seed dispencer at spawn. It looks like this:

Posted Image

I just hope they used the ChestRegen plugin to keep those chests filled :)

Regarding food decay protection, I think it should trigger after only a single minecraft day. Otherwise you have to spend you time looking for food every single time you login because it will all be gone by the time you come back. I logged back after only 4 rl hours and all the cooked meat in my inventory was gone. I doubt this makes the game better in any way... anyway, just my two cents... I am curious if I am the only one that thinks this is inappropriate.