Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bioxx

Update Frequency Poll

Update Frequency   194 members have voted

1. 1. How Often would you prefer to see Major Builds?

• Every 2-3 weeks
    • Once a Month
    • Every 2 Months
    • Every 3 Months
    • Whenever you feel like it.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

91 posts in this topic

I personally don't mind how offen you guys release updates. As long as you feel their ready to be realesed to the public. With enough content to keep us happy. I'll admit, like many of us. As you know. It sucks having to loss your worlds or forced to start new ones. But the great thing about that. You get to enjoy the mod for all it's glory, all over again from the start. For worlds with certain builds, i guess you keep back ups.

I would prefer at least once a month, but I can understand the issue of school. However, if I could be talked through the basics of creating the mod, I could help out maybe? I have a basic knowledge of C++, and I know Java is very similar. I'd like to contribute a little bit, even if it's just trying to code in the bits that someone has already come up with. It'd be something productive to do actually. 

I would prefer at least once a month, but I can understand the issue of school. However, if I could be talked through the basics of creating the mod, I could help out maybe? I have a basic knowledge of C++, and I know Java is very similar. I'd like to contribute a little bit, even if it's just trying to code in the bits that someone has already come up with. It'd be something productive to do actually. 

Same, i have a ton of experience with java, could help lighten the load a bit.

Turtletechy and Kazahied, if you are truly interested in helping out, come join us in IRC. There is a webchat popout that will directly link you to the channel if you do not have an IRC client on the upper right of the website, otherwise you can find us on #tfcraft on the esper server.

Having a 1.6.4 update would be nice, due to the massive amounts of other mods that have 1.6.4 support. 1.7 is too new and likely to update really fast to support mods yet. 

There seams to be only 2 errors preventing current TFC from running on 1.6.4

Hello you, my favourite mod maker ;-)

I voted whenever you feel like it, because that's what would probably work best for me.

Savegame stability between updates tend to be important if you wan't to get immediate feedback between updates,

as people with huge worlds would wait updating to a later point in time if savegames cannot be brought over.

I personally can wait a long time if the current build is stable simply because it takes me a long time to reach any kind of end game.

Just do what others do: post stable builds, with a bunch of builds labelled "unstable" or "savegame-wreck'er!" in between.

Thank you for an amazing mod!

Turtletechy and Kazahied, if you are truly interested in helping out, come join us in IRC. There is a webchat popout that will directly link you to the channel if you do not have an IRC client on the upper right of the website, otherwise you can find us on #tfcraft on the esper server.

It might work well to go by email correspondence as well though. I've never been able to really understand how the IRC works, and from my experience, it takes forever to get a reply. Besides, I might need just a quick walkthrough of the intricacies of modding for minecraft, and I'm not sure I'd get that too easily on the IRC. 

It might work well to go by email correspondence as well though. I've never been able to really understand how the IRC works, and from my experience, it takes forever to get a reply. Besides, I might need just a quick walkthrough of the intricacies of modding for minecraft, and I'm not sure I'd get that too easily on the IRC. 

IRC or Internet Relay Chat is basically instant messaging on steroids. The only reason I can think of for you taking forever to get a reply is because of a difference in time zones. I see that the most of your forum posts are at about 8AM my time.. and I tend to sleep from 5am until 2pm >.>

However, since my client is always online, and keeping a log of chat, I am able to see what happened while I was asleep, for example your message asking when the devs are online. The fastest way to check if I'm actually sitting at my computer is to ping me in IRC (just type Kitty or Kittychanley and I will get a sound notification and pop-up that I was mentioned). If I'm not there you can use Shocky's .tell function to leave me a message. For example, typing 

.tell Kittychanley This is a test message

will have Shocky store that message, along with the time that you sent it, and I will get the message the next time that I say something in chat, along with who sent the message and how long ago it was sent.

A quick walkthrough is actually going to be a lot easier in IRC when we are both online, because of the instant back and forth. Messages can be much shorter and I could go through the process with you step by step and tackle any problems as they occur, instead of sending you a big ol' paragraph of information and hoping I didn't forget anything and that you interpret it correctly.

Okay, thank you. What times during weekdays are the devs most likely to be on? I have social obligations on weekends, but not weekdays. Just school on weekdays. 

I would have to say late afternoon/evenings for US Central and Eastern Time Zones. Bioxx and I never really keep "standard" schedules though.. its more of a weird rotating thing for me because I just sit at home all day. Some days I'll wake up at 9am, other days I'll wake up at 4pm.. it really just depends on how I'm feeling that day and when I finally decided to go to sleep the night before (insomnia is a bitch). I'm usually always awake by late afternoon/evening though because that's when my significant other gets home from work, and will wake me up if I'm still sleeping.

I've seen Bioxx pretty much do the same, some days starting his activity in IRC around 7pm, and others at like 1am. It's really just best to throw out the ping and see if we're there.

Dunk hasn't been online the past few days, but he's usually on first thing in the morning while he's on the bus to class, and then later in the evening when he gets back home.

Okay, well, it'd be nice to set up a time to do things. I still sometimes have to develop a bit of a schedule. I can't really ignore a call from my girlfriend without getting flak for it, so I kinda have to make sure to let her know if I've got stuff going on. But I'll try to check on Monday, or tonight even. 

I voted "whenever you feel like it" because I think it's not something that should be regulated on a monthly or weekly basis. Updates with large changes to the way the game generates terrain should be limited and infrequent. Smaller updates can and probably should be more regular, which can include small bug fixes and tweaks.

I didn't vote because they should just put out releases whenever they are content with the state of the build.

No one is obliged to use the latest build. If they wish to keep the world going it wouldn't matter if there were regular builds or not. They could just upgrade to the latest when ready for a restart, or the amount of content encourages a regen.

I didn't vote because they should just put out releases whenever they are content with the state of the build.

No one is obliged to use the latest build. If they wish to keep the world going it wouldn't matter if there were regular builds or not. They could just upgrade to the latest when ready for a restart, or the amount of content encourages a regen.

Exactly my feelings. while having sorta scheduled bug fixes/ tweaks, it would be nice to have builds out when ready so that those who want can upgrade. Would love having dev builds so we can test things before full release

I voted for every two to three months. I find that keeping up at least some kind of work schedule, even if it's limited to ten-fifteen minutes per time of day, or the entire day itself, is a big help in the long run. Especially if they are lazy, one can balance their work by dedicating a couple minutes of work at one point whilst goofing off at another. Balancing work time and play time is essential if one really wants to accomplish something big, and updating two to the three months gives the developers at least enough time to code the game and either play games, focus on their studies/job, and whatever they need to do around the house.

I don't exactly agree with 'update whenever they feel like it' because it gives the developers the incentive to become a little more lazy, and that can be a bad thing when it comes to working on anything that involves time management, really.

yo!

I really don't care about broken saves anytime you'll change worldgen, it's just a lot of fun to see new stuff in the worldgen, because the metal hunting is the most interesting aspect in terrafirma, it's not fun to get a new worldgen in an old save anyway, it's just worthless to get new worldgen features if you don't have any thier of metal to go up anymore, I'm from the singleplayer mob, but I feel I would have the same opinion if I was into server play...

since it has been about a month since you last posted something on updates and stuff, Bioxx, can you give us an update and an estimate on when the new build will come out

since it has been about a month since you last posted something on updates and stuff, Bioxx, can you give us an update and an estimate on when the new build will come out

ya you're going to find that they don't really post that many updates and the estimate is always when its done :D  you can look on the github however to see what they are working on and guess if they are making a stable build

You really need to be following the Dev's twitters to know how progress is going. It would be great if there was a twitter watch or twitter links on the website somewhere.

I personally don't care WHEN a major update is released. HOWEVER, when it is, it really should be in tune with the current stable build of MC (we are at 1.7.5 now). The MCP (Mod Coder Pack) 9.03 RC1 for Minecraft 1.7.2 and Forge is released, so there is no excuse to stay with 1.6.x.

I personally don't care WHEN a major update is released. HOWEVER, when it is, it really should be in tune with the current stable build of MC (we are at 1.7.5 now). The MCP (Mod Coder Pack) 9.03 RC1 for Minecraft 1.7.2 and Forge is released, so there is no excuse to stay with 1.6.x.

Other than the fact that porting to 1.7.2 is going to delay the release even more, possibly even by a few months because of just how much has changed with the setup and code-base with 1.7

So the question becomes, would you rather have a release sooner, that is compatible with 1.6.4... or wait a few extra months for the exact same features, but compatible with 1.7+ 

it really should be in tune with the current stable build of MC

But is there really a need to do that?

I personally, would ditch all the mods ever for terrafirmacraft if it says 1.6, in favor of more content in shorter time

I say go 1.6.2 -> 1.6.4 -> 1.7.x. I didn't think the 1.7 update was that special and there's a lot more server owners can do with 1.6.4 than 1.7.x as it is now. By the time they actually update to 1.7.x it will probably be a lot more mature with forge and worth using then.

ya you're going to find that they don't really post that many updates and the estimate is always when its done :D  you can look on the github however to see what they are working on and guess if they are making a stable build

You really need to be following the Dev's twitters to know how progress is going. It would be great if there was a twitter watch or twitter links on the website somewhere.

---

watching code get updated on github doesn't work for those of us who choose to invest our time in something other then learning the flavor of coding they are using. if they just want to use twitter as a update status, then putting the feed on their main page would be beneficial, or at least linking to it.

watching code get updated on github doesn't work for those of us who choose to invest our time in something other then learning the flavor of coding they are using. if they just want to use twitter as a update status, then putting the feed on their main page would be beneficial, or at least linking to it.

You don't have to be fluent in java in order to read the commit messages (a summary of what the most recent merge contains).. the majority of change logs are just copy-paste from those commit messages as well.