Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
noobsrtoast

combat tips in the stone age for new players

21 posts in this topic

I know im probably not the best person to be posting this as im very new to the forums but you must remember im only new to the forum so we'll begin.

im gonna go over some combat tactics that have always helped me survive in tfc during the brutal stone age stages even when I didn't have a house to go back too. this is in NO WAY going against what the wiki says these are just some personal tips that help me survive the mobs.

tip 1: never engage wither skeletons or skeletons: the bows they have do brutal damage wait until you have a sufficient metal age weapon and run when you can in worst case scenarios hide behind something and wait for them to come close or run behind the objects so they cant get a clear shot the bows do brutal damage and they have very good accuracy same is to be said about javelin wielding wither skellies

tip 2: when in a combat situation with mobs that melee attack or creepers go into the water: the mobs have a harder time hitting you in the water especially if you go underwater (but watch your lung capacity) it also slows them down giving you a speed advantage (it would appear as if the player moves a bit faster swimming than the mobs) this is especially true for spiders and baby zombies the water makes it much harder for them to move toward the player, on a side note make sure you lead the mobs to land again if daylight begins to approach

tip 3: use trees for cover: if there is not water around and lots of trees run through them mobs are stupid and will oftentimes run into the trees giving you a distance advantage you can also use them to hide behind in a combat situation just don't do that when your being chased by a creeper (for obvious reasons)

tip 4(some of you are not gonna like this one but please hate politely LOL): javelins and axes are overrated (as of current build) when you throw a javelin it doesn't do very much damage and you have to go pick it up again even if you have a bunch its still takes annoyingly long to kill a mob and if your not very good with ranged weapons in the game its even more difficult. yes the axe does a lot of damage but its durability runs out fast I use on average 1 and a half axes to kill a single zombie. the knife however has a balance its got good durability and high damage javelins run out extremely fast when used to melee, use the knife I do really well during the nights with it until you can get a sword I believe it to be the best choice

tip 5: make traps: simple traps can be made by digging a hole that way if a mob catches you off guard with no weapon you can just hit them into your hole trap and if you dug deep enough they will die from fall damage

remember these are worst case scenario suggestions run and hide from mobs when you can don't go all commando that will just get you killed

one last thing I have to repeat is please hate politely.

I play on hardcore for fun and believe me I know how to run, and hide and swim ,and I pretty much stay alive by being non confrontational. Just call me chicken. I would agree that stone age javelins are useless I never use them.

I once played a hardcore world, and a skeleton was caught off guard in the sunlight. I tried to kill it by throwing javelins at it, but some how they all disappeared, and than the sun came out and I started hitting it with my stone axe until I just died. 

I once played a hardcore world, and a skeleton was caught off guard in the sunlight. I tried to kill it by throwing javelins at it, but some how they all disappeared, and than the sun came out and I started hitting it with my stone axe until I just died. 

never use an axe or a javelin in the stone age knives are much more appropriate

My technique for surviving is to 'hole up for the night'. In other words, I create a small shelter using thatch and dirt. I found that if you collect 72 straw using a knife and 11 dirt + or - sticks and wood for a fire, you can create a very nooby but effective shelter. Also, if you gather enough stones and sticks, you can preoccupy yourself with making tools and torches for long enough to pass up most of the night. Another thing I might add is that by having an open shelter you can run to, you will have a 'rabbit hole' in which you can hide in the case of a skeleton attack, using the open windows and murder holes to your advantage. Lastly, I would like to point out that certain rocks do different amounts of damage and have different durabilities depending on which one you use. For example, throughout my adventures, I discovered that andesite is inferior to gabrro in durability but equal in damage. Check the wiki for more info on this.

Currently, fighting is pointless in the stone age. If you hit a zombie, it just calls more zombies. You don't have the ability to fight off the entire wave. It's still worth while to knap two javelins in case you get treed by a baby zombie or spider. Spiders are the most dangerous mob, as they stay on your tail and can often gain on you. If you get stunned by a spider, it's GG - Delete World (you're playing hardcore... right? Right?).

Traps are not a bad idea. I never actually do it, but I *think* about it every game. A simple 3x3, 2-deep murder hole near your hut to push zombies in. Sounds nice, but I just never seem to have a use. I'm always safely knapping/cooking/firing/panning in a protective shelter.

yeah traps with torny blackberry bushes ou strawberry bushes ;) Damn Zombies. 

I had the idea of making a moat around my house, filled with thorny bushes. I did make it, but it went mostly unused. It wasn't all that great in practice.

haha seems infinite time to die. A chance they get stock in the moat hehe

I made my first murder hole last night. It was 2-deep, 3x3. I punched several zombies in there. One snuck up behind me while I was working and hit me. I survived, but instantly realized that the murder hole was more a danger to myself than a benefit. That zombie punch almost threw me in there with 4-5 other zombies. There was no way I'd get out before dying. I'm just going back to playing it safe.

next time don't attack skeleton with slashing weapon ( use hammer or mace )

I haven't tested this yet, so it's possible their pathfinding is smarter than that, but one idea I was going to try is setting up my pit kils right in front of the door to my house. My theory is that if mobs are chasing me and I don't yet have a sword or mace, I can just run into my shelter, close the door, and they will all burn outside my house. Since zombies only become "social" when you yourself hit them, you shouldn't have to worry about more spawning. I'll edit this post as soon as I've confirmed that this actually works.

if you're being chased by zombies, spiders and creepers, head to higher ground, as they follow you up the cliff you charge them and punch them down the clff. fall damage is a great early game weapon.

if you're being chased by skeletons all you can do is run.

What to do with a full copper wither in front door ?

What if you trapped the sucker in a square of logs and set everything on fire B)

house burned down? it was probably worth it.

What to do with a full copper wither in front door ?

invite him to dinner. :D

then steal his armor set.  :ph34r:

I find four stone javelins takes down a zombie, so I just use loads of javelins to fight, and works fine.

While one javelin is useless, having 4 or more javelins can be very useful. Just fully charge it before throwing, and don't miss. Plus, you can hit more than one mob at a time, so it helps.

Though, it sucks as a weapon to skeletons or spiders, so I just run from those.

That pretty much sums up my stone-age combat. Throw javelins  till I run out, lure mobs, away, grab javelins, repeat, or run like heck for the nearest shelter. Usually a tree.

For zombies, I keep stone axes and pumpkins in my inventory. Pumpkins aren't affected by gravity so you can tower up with them. I tower up with 2 pumpkins and use axes to kill the zombies. Only rarely have zombies jumped up and knocked me off. Logs work as well but take longer to chop.

For skeletons, I place thatch blocks and hide inside or hide in the leaves of a tree. The skeleton will come in the same block with you and rarely attacks. Hammers work best to attack them. We then play the knock back game until they die.

For creepers and spiders, I hide in the thatch blocks but they stay outside the blocks so I back out, peak around the block, hit them with my knife and hide again. If I got a bow and arrows from skeletons I'll use those.

The thing is skeletons, creepers and spiders will attack you on the pumpkin blocks; and zombies will still come after you through the thatch or leaf blocks (if they are tracking you), so if you've got mixed mods... run and let the zombies track you away from the others, deal with them and then go back for the others.

For endermen, I haven't had much experience with them, so my suggestion is... don't look, but if you must use an axe.

For a starter shelter, I place a 7x7 square of logs. Dig a 1 deep hole around the whole thing. Then dig a 1 deep hole inside the square (except the corners so I can jump out). I run from the mobs and jump in and hide in this shelter (however this doesn't help with spiders). I'd stand on the logs and attack zombies, and jump attack skeletons from behind the logs. I have advanced this by removing the center edge blocks inside the square and creating murder holes under the four log walls to attack their feet.

Honestly, I find the difficulty of enemies is the reverse from vanilla; in stone age, I've found that zombies are pretty easy, even larger groups. They're easy to outmaneuver and run past they're easy to tower away from and they're easy to push into holes. I just use stone daggers or axes depending on what I have ready; five swings with an axe takes down a zombie, and it lasts for about seven or eight swings. Daggers last for more zombies, but you have to hit them like 8 or 9 times which makes daggers useless against groups.

Skeletons are annoying, but can usually be either outrun or lured into a tree; running into a big tree also gives me enough time to knapp a hammer to kill them with.

Creepers do huge damage if you're close, but usually are alone so it's quite easy to make sure they just blow up far enough away that you take tops 100 damage or so.

Spiders are honestly the hardest IMO, and no other mob kills me as much. Can't outrun them very well (well, I have smart moving on hard so I guess I run a bit worse than in vanilla or regular TFC), can't climb out of their reach, they can survive a lot of damage from axes and knives, and they're just generally annoying. Though granted, if I'm at my base they're the easiest since I can just go in and they can't follow me :P

In vanilla I consider the mobs difficulties reversed; Zombies>skeletons>creepers>spiders. Wither skeletons I've never engaged during the stone age except for when already dying, and then I've always died.EDIT; Though I should probably shut up, since a creeper just managed to kill _every single one of my pigs_. Well, it'll have to be potatoes and seaweed all winter then..

All said and done, I think the best combat tip in the stone age is this: Unless you know 210% you can kill that sucker, duck and cover.

My stone age weapon is the hammer. Whack all the skeletons, yo. Arrows are hard to come by, you need to collect them early. Strings too. Spiders can be easily fooled by a tree. Just hide behind the tree. The spider will climb up and you'll hit it, making it take fall damage.