Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
noobsrtoast

burning peat sometimes gives magnetite nuggets

9 posts in this topic

hey guys im back with another suggestion, im gonna start this one off with a little history lesson:

during the Viking age, Scandinavian nations raided parts of eastern and western Europe to secure rights to trade for weapons again as well as get those confiscated from them by nations like Ireland, Scotland and England back. during this time because they did not have sufficient amounts of mineable iron or could trade for weapons (anyone caught trading weapons to the Vikings received a death sentence as punishment), they developed a very crafty efficient way of making swords by burning pete for the small amounts of iron in it turning that iron into iron strands basically then forging small weaponry out of it (believe it or not the Vikings were actually a highly intelligent society with some of the most advanced technology of the time).

ok well back to the original point I think it would be neat if you burnt pete and it sometimes gave you magnetite nuggets which produced 10 units of wrought iron every nugget and still had to be smelted in a bloomery, the only way you could find magnetite in pete is if there was a magnetite vein under the pete somewhere and pete only had a 10% chance of giving off magnetite even if the conditions were met.

this would give it balance on top of needing a bloomery so players couldn't immediately advance into the iron age, this feature also doesn't really add t the realism of the mod very much but more appeals to its believeability hope its not hard to code or causes lag :D

If this was implemented, it would have to be a flat percentage range of getting the nugget regardless of where the peat came from. Just like gravel can be taken from anywhere to be used in sluices, because it doesn't retain the "where I came from" information when broken and turned into an item, peat would do the same.

Would seam a bit op in my opinion, unless the percentage is dramatically low. I have seen fields of peat over a thousand blocks square and up to 10 blocks thick in some places. Much like deserts and gems this would provide a simple way of by passing most earlier metals.

If this was implemented, it would have to be a flat percentage range of getting the nugget regardless of where the peat came from. Just like gravel can be taken from anywhere to be used in sluices, because it doesn't retain the "where I came from" information when broken and turned into an item, peat would do the same.

oh does this work out too or is it to op?

Would seam a bit op in my opinion, unless the percentage is dramatically low. I have seen fields of peat over a thousand blocks square and up to 10 blocks thick in some places. Much like deserts and gems this would provide a simple way of by passing most earlier metals.

it would be a very very low chance that you would get magnetite funny that you mention it now the swedes oftentimes couldn't keep up with the need for production of weapons because of just how low the amounts of iron they found were :D

also the thing with magnetite is to smelt it you need a bloomery and to get a bloomery you need bronze sheets correct? so wouldn't you still have to get the earlier stage metals in large quantities?

If the chance was 5% per unit of peat, then you would have to burn an average of 200 blocks of peat in order to make one bar of wrought iron. That means just to make the iron required to craft the anvil - which is needed before you can make any sort of iron tool - you would need to burn an average of 2800 peat. That is a loooot of peat. It's 87 and a half stacks of peat, assuming that peat stacks to 32 like other forms of dirt. More than three full player inventories full of stacks of peat.

Harvesting and burning it (you'd need a hundred firepits to get it done with any sort of speed) would involve a fairly large amount of time and effort spent by the player for the return. Since it does not allow you to bypass any part of the progression, but it does allow you to continue if you absolutely can't find any iron anywhere (been there done that), I wouldn't call it overpowered. I'd call it a useful fallback.

The question is, can it be implemented easily? For example, the firepit would need to be able to deposit the randomly generated nugget in some sort of output slot. And the two regular ones might be occupied already.

Could always use the charcoal pit method and have it placed burnt peat. When broken with a shovel it  drops magnetite nuggets, the % chance for ore would be calculated and placed as the burnt peat

If the chance was 5% per unit of peat, then you would have to burn an average of 200 blocks of peat in order to make one bar of wrought iron. That means just to make the iron required to craft the anvil - which is needed before you can make any sort of iron tool - you would need to burn an average of 2800 peat. That is a loooot of peat. It's 87 and a half stacks of peat, assuming that peat stacks to 32 like other forms of dirt. More than three full player inventories full of stacks of peat.

Harvesting and burning it (you'd need a hundred firepits to get it done with any sort of speed) would involve a fairly large amount of time and effort spent by the player for the return. Since it does not allow you to bypass any part of the progression, but it does allow you to continue if you absolutely can't find any iron anywhere (been there done that), I wouldn't call it overpowered. I'd call it a useful fallback.

The question is, can it be implemented easily? For example, the firepit would need to be able to deposit the randomly generated nugget in some sort of output slot. And the two regular ones might be occupied already.

what if it worked the same way as metal if you forget your ceramic tray your shit outta luck the metal liquefies and its gone same could be true for firepits you forgot to empty the slots your shit outta luck the magnetite Is lost just a thought