Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pathfinder

An Aesthetic Use for Gems

33 posts in this topic

The idea is this:

Use gems to build up 8x8x8 blocks, much like those created from chiselling rock. The color and relative opacity of the placed gems would be controled by the type of gem as well as thier quality (higher quality gems are generally more transparent due to a lack of cracking or discoloring imperfection). Naturally, not all precious stones are transparent, so this would also affect the resulting block.

I could see this system working well to create high quality windows or to accentuate that marble throne you've made for yourself with diamonds.

Now, ideally, this would also permit the addition of gemstones to stone carvings. This would likely require some mortar or a similar adhesive to fix into place and removal from its setting might damage (reduced quality) or destroy the gem. This second half, I imagine, is probably a pipe-dream, but I can't help but imagine how cool a dolomite statue with ruby eyes would be.

Given the way planks may be placed and rocks may be chiseled, I assume the framework for this is already in place, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: I guess this wasn't such an original idea after all. :/ Oh well.

I like this. it means with enough high-quality gems, we can make stained glass(of sorts), and it would be a really cool thing to have

I was actually just about to suggest something like this, before I found this thread.Being able to insert gems into statues would be really cool, but I was actually thinking about making entire blocks out of gems. I'm not sure how - whether they would need to be melted down and welded together, or by making a huge clay cast - but a 8x8 block of say, sapphire for example would be something cool to chisel down into a statue of some sort. If partially chiseled, and then broken, it could just turn back into a limited number of the regular gem (like 1-4 sapphires, for example) depending on how much the player removed. 

Gems like diamond melt at over 3000 degrees C. For reference. That's more than twice the melting point of Iron! Gems should just be a placable item into chiselled block. I'm sure the devs could work it out. If placed onto a non-chiselled block. It 'makes one' so you can build solid gem for showing off. Chiselling a gem 'pops' it off the structure.

Gems like diamond melt at over 3000 degrees C. For reference. That's more than twice the melting point of Iron! 

Yeah, that's a good point. I suppose we could build them up into blocks, similar to log piles. Would higher quality gems make blocks faster? I was just looking for a way to carve things like jade bowls, and such. Maybe that could even be added like knapping, but instead using the 8x8 block to create a specific shape, which would then drop the desired item (like a bowl).

Miklosh. We're not talking about Coal here. Coal is less than 90% coal. Lignite, the common one. Is ~70% coal. The rest of it is basically waste matter and oxygen.

Because of the Diamond molecule's density it can hold massive amounts of energy per mole. Carbon forms many bonds between atoms. In an all carbon structure, it takes a lot of energy to separate them. What happens when it reaches melting point I can't say for sure. It may fragment/explode due to internal stresses. The sections of liquid diamond may vaporise instantly into carbon chain molecules. Yes, that does include combustion if you're melting in an open crucible or under direct flame. The increase in volume being a factor on internal stress, as are weakened bonds. In a vacuum or under immense pressure. Melting a diamond without a direct flame. You should get liquid (that includes gas) carbon.

The hard part would be setting the liquid carbon in the crystalline structure that defines a diamond from other solid forms of carbon. Yay! Carbon... Powder... :(

sratXephir, Oh, I didn't know that "liquid" includes "gas". Sorry then!

If you happen to melt gemstone, you wouldn't like what you get out of that anyway. They formed in pretty hardset conditions, and without reintoducing liquid to those exact ones you just get a mess of oxidized stuff.

@starXephir molten diamond is a very specific condition, that can't be introduced in TFC timeframe without use of some street magic. At least if there's no intention to mess with OCD a bunch of people have to that stuff.

What you usually get when trying to heat up diamond is graphite. Just take a look at this and note the pressure required.

Posted Image

Well, two things are clear:1. I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to mineral properties.2. Melting down the gems is out of the question. 

But casting them is not. Using a lite metal you can add in powdered gemstones in significant quantities and when the metal cools, you would get a metal tinted with the gem. They would not be clear, but would allow lite to pass through.

Derailment is a spectacular thing... Though, I'm glad this is being given some thought, even if the suggestions are mutating rather rapidly from what was originally suggested.

:) You summed it up pretty well. Place gems. Make pretty.

I think the original idea is better then melting/casting.

Because 

1. If I just want eyes for my statue(a whopping 2 chisel-squares[or whatever you call those]), and have to place a entire block of gems and chisel the entire thing down to get just the eyes...

Well, let me say, it's a HUGE waste of both durability and gems.

2. Let's say I want to make a hole in this block and stick a gem in it. If the gem is an entire block, I will not be able to place the gem anywhere inside a block, so the side I want to place the gems on must be unchiseled and it has to be on the edge/side/whatever of the block, or the gem won't connect

Gems like diamond melt at over 3000 degrees C. For reference. That's more than twice the melting point of Iron! Gems should just be a placable item into chiselled block. I'm sure the devs could work it out. If placed onto a non-chiselled block. It 'makes one' so you can build solid gem for showing off. Chiselling a gem 'pops' it off the structure.

Gems like diamond could also burn.

There is a mod, called Little Blocks. You can place any kind of block which are smaller than the original, so there's a way, to make it in Minecraft. I think the microblocks needs to be rewrited. As I recall, a block, when you right click on it, became a chiseled block, which contains smaller ones. If you could let the chiseled block accept any kind of blocks to be placed, that would work. My thoughts.

What many of you have neglected is the fact that diamond is in fact used in many tools. I have never really heard of diamonds being used in picks, but I know that they can be crushed into a powder and then cast or beaten into saws or tools that might cut materials, similar to what Kazahied said earlier. I don't think it would be possible to grind diamonds in a grindstone because it is so hard, but maybe through the use of a higher tier grinder, it could be possible. The benefits of doing this should only be a greater increase in durability since the diamond is in too small a quantity to create any change in cutting speed. Also, diamond is so hard that it should only be used in at least steel level or higher tools or else the diamond dust just simply wouldn't hold in the weaker metals.

Edit: I know that this isn't really an aesthetic use for diamonds, but it seems like a good way to use them either way.

Hmm. Putting one as a chisel head? The better the quality, the lower the right-click delay is. Or put it into sawblades to give little bonus of durability, change it to a completely different item but retain the previous NBT, give it some durability and add a little bit more efficiency than the original item. Durability and efficiency depends on the quality and/or the type of the gemstone. When it breaks, spawn the previous saw and damage it a bit.

Smashing one with a hammer seems plausible. Why don't we just make diamond dust by hitting one on an anvil? You just need to hit, hit, hit, and hit.

I don't think it would be possible to grind diamonds in a grindstone because it is so hard

Smashing one with a hammer seems plausible.

Yep, diamond, being the hardest material we know of, cannot be scratched/ground by anything other then other diamonds.

However, diamond is brittle, and easily broken if you say, smash it with a hammer

Anyways, this is about using diamonds on chiseled blocks, not diamond-edged tools.

And I don't think diamond-edged tools fit in with TFC's time line

I don't think diamond edges tools or melting gems is anywhere near logical for this game, or easy to code, but the original post seems great. I would absolutely love to finally see an actual use for gems. At the current moment there's very little purpose to them (C'mon how many of you ACTUALLY use protection meters?) and they tend to take of valuable space with how many different kinds and qualities of gems there are, to see them get placed on a block would be great! I can add little accents to my boring stone statue, I could make a grand throne, I could decorate a floor, make a cool gem-crusted cave. There are so many uses to placing gems. I would love to see this in the game. Oh and also I think gem piles might be cool too, make a nice room filled with gold and platinum and gem piles and dive into it and swim in your wonderful trove of valuable materials. Both of these should be somewhat simple to implement. Piles are literally just a retexture on ingot piles and a copy and paste of a bit of code, gem placing would just be reusing a bit of what planks and chisels do, with it's own little flair. All and all, I love this idea.

Miklosh. We're not talking about Coal here. Coal is less than 90% coal. Lignite, the common one. Is ~70% coal. The rest of it is basically waste matter and oxygen.Because of the Diamond molecule's density it can hold massive amounts of energy per mole. Carbon forms many bonds between atoms. In an all carbon structure, it takes a lot of energy to separate them. What happens when it reaches melting point I can't say for sure. It may fragment/explode due to internal stresses. The sections of liquid diamond may vaporise instantly into carbon chain molecules. Yes, that does include combustion if you're melting in an open crucible or under direct flame. The increase in volume being a factor on internal stress, as are weakened bonds. In a vacuum or under immense pressure. Melting a diamond without a direct flame. You should get liquid (that includes gas) carbon.The hard part would be setting the liquid carbon in the crystalline structure that defines a diamond from other solid forms of carbon. Yay! Carbon... Powder... :(

You win the Forum Physics award. :DAnywho, I think place able gems sounds freakin amazing. I support this. Dunk, what do you think?

Placeable gems are discussed pretty much from the moment Bioxx added chisel detailed mode.

While I too think that would be a nice decoration feature, I do realize this probably is like one of the last things to possibly be added. Also, that won't look nearly as good as everyone here probably imagine - most we can hope for is plain colored opaque cubes or small gem item textures rendered on top of a block. Because Minecraft and such.

That's what I'm imagining, pretty much.

I don't expect anything fancy, just something small to use gems for and to spruce up my stuff a bit

Placeable gems are discussed pretty much from the moment Bioxx added chisel detailed mode.

While I too think that would be a nice decoration feature, I do realize this probably is like one of the last things to possibly be added. Also, that won't look nearly as good as everyone here probably imagine - most we can hope for is plain colored opaque cubes or small gem item textures rendered on top of a block. Because Minecraft and such.

Small, opaque cubes is exactly what I suggested. I figured that it would get little attention in development until the final stages, if at all, due to the nature of the suggestion when I posted it. However, one can always hold out hope.

As for the age of the discussion, I'd come to realize that as I went through the archives, however the only thread on the topic was... Lackluster. I simply wanted to fesh it out a bit more (something, I'm afraid, I probably didn't do that well). Either way, theres a proper thread now.

ill suggested something like that a while ago XD

in addition to placeable small glass blocks with different colors.

but i still love the idea and would be happy, if it get implemented :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0